Carnival's Land Rover & Cave Expedition excursion??

cml88

Post #4 on this thread is a first hand account of the tour: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596055 and per Carnival's website "All vehicles are manual transmission." which would indicate you must know how to drive a stick shift or there is the possibility you will be in a vehicle where someone else is driving. It says 4-6 people per land rover.

We're doing this excursion in June, sounds like fun!

• 1 month later...

Michelle

Hope you can post how it went

I went to book it for our cruise in Jan. but ended up not doing it yet

I am wondering how it works with getting off the ship in time as I saw we have to tender in and something about getting a tender ticket etc.

Post #4 on this thread is a first hand account of the tour: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596055 and per Carnival's website "All vehicles are manual transmission." which would indicate you must know how to drive a stick shift or there is the possibility you will be in a vehicle where someone else is driving. It says 4-6 people per land rover.

We're doing this excursion in June, sounds like fun!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home from our cruise. We did this one and loved it. The cave is different from what you see here and the Land Rover was a blast and a boat ride too.. The hubby really enjoyed it. You all meet in a lounge and go to the tender together. They are right at the dock to meet you and have you back in time to get a little shopping in also. It was worth every penny.

We just got home from our cruise. We did this one and loved it. The cave is different from what you see here and the Land Rover was a blast and a boat ride too.. The hubby really enjoyed it. You all meet in a lounge and go to the tender together. They are right at the dock to meet you and have you back in time to get a little shopping in also. It was worth every penny.

Do you HAVE to know how to drive stick??

Do you HAVE to know how to drive stick??

Yes. There will be 4 to a Land Rover and 2 of those 4 will get to drive. One person drives one leg of the trip and the other person drives the second leg.

The first part of the drive is through the jungle, a bit muddy, very adventurous and fun to drive. The second part of the trip is on straight dirt roads, but still fun because there are holes in the road that you can kind of dodge or slowly drive into the holes.

The parts of the drives may be reversed, because they divide the group into two and reverse the trips. It was my favorite excursion of all time, and I am seriously reconsidering it again for my trip in December! :)

So to answer your question, if you want to drive- yes, you have to know how to drive stick shift. If you don't want to drive, you can be a passenger.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know we meet in the lounge and tender together. I booked it yesterday! Now cannot wait til our January cruise to do it

You guys are going to have an absolute blast! Just take some bug spray and comfy shoes. I was lathered with a few layers of bug spray, but still got a couple of bites.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this a while ago. It was the best excursion ever! From the ship we got into an open air boat for about a 45 minute ride up the river. Beautiful twists make the ride enjoyable. Then you get to a park with facilites. Get into the Land Rover's which have seen better days! Our didn't work. Got into another and off we went.

Very buggy...spray is a MUST! Drive on paved and unpaved roads to the cave. You cross a wide but to me scary suspended bridge to the caves and put on helmets. Parts you have to crawl through. Back across the bridge for lunch. Then into an open air bus for a 45 min. ride to the port with all the rum punch you want. We were a happy bunch!

I just booked again for Sept. It now says "snack" not "lunch". I pulled out my old brochure and it said "snack lunch". For those who did this recently what did you have? We had chicken and rice and cole slaw. It's 5 hours so food would be important.

This is really a lot of fun and I'm glad I'm doing it again.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know approximately how many people are allowed on this excursion? Are we talking about a very large group?

Do you have to do the cave portion? A friend we are going with is claustrophobic.

About 50 people divided into 2 groups.

No you don't have to go in the cave. There are areas you have to squat down to get through.

Snack is fruit. $5 for chicken and rice.

• 5 weeks later...

I am thinking about booking this for our Christmas cruise but im a huge chicken so I have questions for those of you that have done it....

I am claustrophobic so I am worried about the cave part, however I dont want to miss it. Is the part where you have to crawl very long? If its just a short section I will be alright. My kids mmake me go to all those haunted walks during halloween and I hate those squeeze parts but if they are short and i just go through them very quickly I am ok.

My other question is about the roads you drive the landrover on. I read one review on Carnivals website where the woman said there were big ditches on the side of the road and they almost slid into one. Are the roads really dangerous? I'm such a worry wart but I really want to do this excursion becasue I know the rest of my family will love it...four girls 13,16 and 20. And I know my husband will love it.

Thanks

Archived