Following on from the annoying dinner stories, would this annoy you?

We are investigating, and have requested the Adventure Ocean Programme. However part of me doesn't want to sit (but I am going to re-iterate that we are going to investigate requesting this) with other parents particularly.

My friends often remark on how odd they find it that I never voluntarily offer up information about my children it always has to be asked for. I don't want to talk about children.

However I am also of the opinion that sitting next to someone who is work obssesed and only wants to talk about trade derivatives or IT (both of which I can converse about if I have to) is just as boring as sitting next to someone who only wants to talk about their children. It's not the topic that is the problem, it's the person.

As for the video at the table dilemma and the extent of it's rudeness as I have stated I am torn. As a person I do find electronic devices at the table rude, as a parent of a 3 yr old (who isn't on any spectrum that I am aware of) who is still learning manners and how to cope with being bored I feel that a bit of discreet DVD time if the service is slow or I am lingering over my pudding is acceptable.

OklaCruiserMom - perhaps we can compare notes when we get back :)

Again, I am not taking offense at any opinion, even if I did raise a slight eyebrow at the suggestion my son might grow up to have no social skills. ;)

My ten year old daughter and I would have loved to sit with you!

And I know what you mean about talking about the kids. I love my kid more than anything, but I like to save conversations about her for my husband who agrees that she is magnificent ;).

About the DVD player, if you pulled it out towards the end of the meal it might not be too bad. I'm mentioning this because during breakfast one morning in the Windjammer (we just got of LOS), a family sat down for breakfast and immediately put the DVD player in front of their toddler. I'd never seen anyone do that in a restaurant. At first it was distracting, ibut I never heard a peep from the kid so it worked and everyone was content. So maybe if you started slowly with the usual coloring book or even a small, quiet handheld game, then pulled out the big guns at dessert, it wouldn't be an issue.

You are new here...are you sure you want to do this? Not the cruise...that will be fine...I mean this thread:rolleyes:

Since your are from Boston, perhaps you would want to throw his tea in the ocean? ;)

This isn't directed towards anyone, but I think it is sad and a bit disgusting that so many people on these boards dislike children.:o

As a teacher for 7 years (and a Mom for 16 so far), I can tell you that kids are much better people than most adults, because the are honest and totally without an agenda.

They don't care if you know which fork to use, if your dress is from Walmart or Prada, or if your elbows are on the table (try putting your elbow in your ear, that will really impress them). ;) They just want to hang out and have fun.

I will take a table full of kids over some of you adults ANY DAY!!

And FYI, my kids have always participated in 'adult conversations'. That's why they are so damn smart. Just because a person is small doesn't mean they are incapable of deep thoughts or meaningful conversations. Some of the most fascinating things I hear come from 7 year olds, because they are still open enough to say them out loud.

I feel sorry for some of you people, you are missing out on some of the most interesting people on the planet.:o

I am off on IoS very soon, it's myself and my sister (mid 30s) plus my son (3) and daughter (18 months).

We will be using the MDR, have requested the early sitting (which is their usual supper time anyway) and are on a large table for 10 people.

We are fairly sociable and I think it's important my children learn to behave in certain situations. I will bring colouring in for my son to do and will probably at some point let him (with ear phones) watch a DVD if the meal has slow service.

Would you be annoyed sharing a table with us?

Pre-children I would have preferred not to share a table with us (I am not a child person really) and would have probably requested to move.

Interested in peoples opinions

I have children and grandchildren. I have learned that unless it's McD, you do have to keep them occupied at dinner. Personally, I only have a problem with badly behaved children, wouldn't mind sitting with well behaved kids at all.

Phoenix,

Many of the PPs who would prefer not to eat with kids don't necessarily dislike them. I adore kids, can't wait to have them, and when my boyfriend and I go out with our friends who have a two-year-old, for example, we always encourage them to bring him along. But- if I were going out with that same friend for a "girls' night" or arranging an outing to a fancy restaurant (or cooking a fancy meal at home), as much as I love their son, I'd prefer he not be there for that particular occasion. Some occasions (for me, I'd say most occasions!) are more fun with kids, but there are others where the atmosphere wouldn't be what I'm looking for with a child around.

I think the issue here is that different people are looking for different things out of dinner in the MDR. Some folks just want to eat a meal that tastes good and satisfies their hunger in inoffensive surroundings. Others want to get to know their tablemates and talk about their day. Still others want a more refined experience, and to linger over dessert and coffee until the last diners are leaving. Some may want to let their hair down a little bit with other similarly-inclined people. While ill-behaved children (or, to be fair, sloppy/drunk/rude adults) would make all of these goals harder to achieve, well-mannered children might still not fit with some of the outlooks. Personally, I look forward to dinner on a cruise ship because it's a chance to talk with my traveling companion(s) about our days, make plans for the evening/day to come, relax in surroundings nicer than my home, and have some good (ususally) food served to me (and hopefully try something I wouldn't try at home). I don't find making small talk to be relaxing (I'm an introvert, so while I can do it, it's stressful and exhausing!) so I'll be taking advantage of MTD and only sharing a table (with children or adults) when I feel like it!

It's like the ubiquitous "children at weddings" debate: to people where "wedding" means a big gathering of family and friends and maybe even the chicken dance, children can be a great addition- and it may be hard to imagine a wedding without them. For others, a wedding is an elegant, black-tie affair where even the best-behaved children don't really fit in with the ambiance. It's all about your expectations.

Phoenix,

Many of the PPs who would prefer not to eat with kids don't necessarily dislike them. I adore kids, can't wait to have them, and when my boyfriend and I go out with our friends who have a two-year-old, for example, we always encourage them to bring him along. But- if I were going out with that same friend for a "girls' night" or arranging an outing to a fancy restaurant (or cooking a fancy meal at home), as much as I love their son, I'd prefer he not be there for that particular occasion. Some occasions (for me, I'd say most occasions!) are more fun with kids, but there are others where the atmosphere wouldn't be what I'm looking for with a child around.

I think the issue here is that different people are looking for different things out of dinner in the MDR. Some folks just want to eat a meal that tastes good and satisfies their hunger in inoffensive surroundings. Others want to get to know their tablemates and talk about their day. Still others want a more refined experience, and to linger over dessert and coffee until the last diners are leaving. Some may want to let their hair down a little bit with other similarly-inclined people. While ill-behaved children (or, to be fair, sloppy/drunk/rude adults) would make all of these goals harder to achieve, well-mannered children might still not fit with some of the outlooks. Personally, I look forward to dinner on a cruise ship because it's a chance to talk with my traveling companion(s) about our days, make plans for the evening/day to come, relax in surroundings nicer than my home, and have some good (ususally) food served to me (and hopefully try something I wouldn't try at home). I don't find making small talk to be relaxing (I'm an introvert, so while I can do it, it's stressful and exhausing!) so I'll be taking advantage of MTD and only sharing a table (with children or adults) when I feel like it!

It's like the ubiquitous "children at weddings" debate: to people where "wedding" means a big gathering of family and friends and maybe even the chicken dance, children can be a great addition- and it may be hard to imagine a wedding without them. For others, a wedding is an elegant, black-tie affair where even the best-behaved children don't really fit in with the ambiance. It's all about your expectations.

I'm not talking about those who "prefer not to eat with kids", I am talking about the select group of individuals on these boards who have a bitter dislike of children as a species and wish they were banned from cruising.

I know the difference, I've been around these boards for a while now.;)

Like I said, I avoid the MDR because of the offensive adults that I might get stuck at a table with, not because of a kid watching SpongeBob.

This isn't directed towards anyone, but I think it is sad and a bit disgusting that so many people on these boards dislike children.:o

Are you old enough to remember the presidential election of 1980? It was predicted to be much closer than it really was and that was attributed to the "vocal minority" We definitely have that here.

I also see the opposite when people mention enjoying the solarium people fire back with "Why do you travel on a cruise line clearly marketed for families? I was on Allure, my wife and I whom are empty nesters. We took second seating, spent time in the solarium and partook in several adult activities while almost never seeing the dreamworks characters. Allure was big enough to have room for everyone. Like that great statesman, Rodney King ;) once said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Funnily enough my response to the (age-old) debate about children at weddings is that I don't mind children at weddings as long as they are not mine :D

And FYI, my kids have always participated in 'adult conversations'. That's why they are so damn smart. Just because a person is small doesn't mean they are incapable of deep thoughts or meaningful conversations. Some of the most fascinating things I hear come from 7 year olds, because they are still open enough to say them out loud.

This is what I really don't get about this thread. I don't have children myself but I have family and friends that do. I have never once had to modify or censor the dinner conversation because kids were present. I rarely curse and I don't appreciate hearing it at the dinner table so that's not an issue. I'm trying to think of any topics of conversation that one might bring up with tablemates that would't be appropriate to discuss in front of children. Just because there are children at the table doesn't mean an absence of intelligent conversation.

<snip>

As for the video at the table dilemma and the extent of it's rudeness as I have stated I am torn. As a person I do find electronic devices at the table rude, as a parent of a 3 yr old (who isn't on any spectrum that I am aware of) who is still learning manners and how to cope with being bored I feel that a bit of discreet DVD time if the service is slow or I am lingering over my pudding is acceptable.

OklaCruiserMom - perhaps we can compare notes when we get back :)

Again, I am not taking offense at any opinion, even if I did raise a slight eyebrow at the suggestion my son might grow up to have no social skills. ;)

Sorry, if something is rude it's rude. No matter how you try to justify it, it's still inappropriate. If one feels their child will not be able to sit in a dining room for dinner other arrangements should be made. Maybe eat in the cabin. Also, maybe any child that cannot adapt to the etiquette observed on a cruise isn't quite ready for a cruise vacation. Sorry, it may sound harsh, but that's my opinion. When I had young children I had to make many sacrifices of the things I enjoyed until my child was old enough to either go with me and behave accordingly or stay with a sitter. It's part of being a parent.

Are you old enough to remember the presidential election of 1980? It was predicted to be much closer than it really was and that was attributed to the "vocal minority" We definitely have that here.

I also see the opposite when people mention enjoying the solarium people fire back with "Why do you travel on a cruise line clearly marketed for families? I was on Allure, my wife and I whom are empty nesters. We took second seating, spent time in the solarium and partook in several adult activities while almost never seeing the dreamworks characters. Allure was big enough to have room for everyone. Like that great statesman, Rodney King ;) once said, "Can't we all just get along?"

In 1980 I was 8, so I wasn't really following the election.:D;)

And again, it's fine for those who choose not to be around kids, what I have a problem with are those who use these boards to just spew hatred of children like they are dirty mutants or something. It's just gross to me.

To me, people who sail Royal then complain about the presence of too many kids are like people that go to Disneyland and complain that there are too many kids...yes, there are. ;) It's a place FOR KIDS. Doesn't mean adults won't have a great time, but it's for kids, so there will be kids.

Consider the venue and make an informed choice, but don't be all shocked when you get on a ship BUILT for kids, and see, oh my goodness, lots of kids. It's just lame. Did they think the rock wall, flowrider and zip line were built with 80 year olds in mind?? Duh!:eek:

As a teacher for 7 years (and a Mom for 16 so far), I can tell you that kids are much better people than most adults, because the are honest and totally without an agenda.

They don't care if you know which fork to use, if your dress is from Walmart or Prada, or if your elbows are on the table (try putting your elbow in your ear, that will really impress them). ;) They just want to hang out and have fun.

I will take a table full of kids over some of you adults ANY DAY!!

I feel sorry for some of you people, you are missing out on some of the most interesting people on the planet.:o

Your sympathy isn't needed, I'm sure. Just as you have your opinion, others have theirs. Just because someone doesn't want to spend their time with other people's children doesn't mean they are missing out on a thing. They are living their lives as they choose. Just because you find a 7 year old engaging doesn't mean the rest of the population shares that feeling and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And I am a mother of 2 children. I've done the mommy thing, enjoyed it while I did it, but now I'm in a new chapter in my life which involves mostly adults. I don't need to justify my feelings to anyone. To each his own and live and let live.

When I had young children I had to make many sacrifices of the things I enjoyed until my child was old enough to either go with me and behave accordingly or stay with a sitter. It's part of being a parent.

This is someone that understands what being a parent is all about.

Funnily enough my response to the (age-old) debate about children at weddings is that I don't mind children at weddings as long as they are not mine :D

Haha I feel simiarly about dogs in social situations. I don't mind when other people bring theirs, but more often than not I leave mine at home even when I know there will be others, because it's nice not to have to look out after her!

Your sympathy isn't needed, I'm sure. Just as you have your opinion, others have theirs. Just because someone doesn't want to spend their time with other people's children doesn't mean they are missing out on a thing. They are living their lives as they choose. Just because you find a 7 year old engaging doesn't mean the rest of the populations shares that feeling and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. An I am a mother of 2 children. To each his own and live and let live.

There's a difference between someone not wanting to spend time with other people's children IN THEIR OWN HOME vs. in PUBLIC AREAS of a ship which is geared towards and built for kids, it's simply not logical, so yes, my sympathy is required for illogical people.;)

I wouldn't go to a dog park and expect to spend time without the presence of dogs, or at a retirement home expecting to avoid older people, or at a hospital wanting to avoid sick people.

There are dogs at the dog park, old people at retirement homes, sick folks at hospitals, and kids on Royal ships. The end.

Sorry, if something is rude it's rude. No matter how you try to justify it, it's still inappropriate. If one feels their child will not be able to sit in a dining room for dinner other arrangements should be made. Maybe eat in the cabin. Also, maybe any child that cannot adapt to the etiquette observed on a cruise isn't quite ready for a cruise vacation. Sorry, it may sound harsh, but that's my opinion. When I had young children I had to make many sacrifices of the things I enjoyed until my child was old enough to either go with me and behave accordingly or stay with a sitter. It's part of being a parent.

Interesting opinion. I am not quite sure what etiquette on a cruise you think my son isn't adapting to.

It is about different levels of rudeness, posters on here have already expressed their dis-interest at sitting with an adult who swears or who drinks too much. To many that is "inappropriate" behaviour at a supper tabe with strangers. Or is it just children who have to live up to this mythical level of good behaviour or be banished to their cabins to eat!

In 1980 I was 8, so I wasn't really following the election.:D;)

And again, it's fine for those who choose not to be around kids, what I have a problem with are those who use these boards to just spew hatred of children like they are dirty mutants or something. It's just gross to me.

To me, people who sail Royal then complain about the presence of too many kids are like people that go to Disneyland and complain that there are too many kids...yes, there are. ;) It's a place FOR KIDS. Doesn't mean adults won't have a great time, but it's for kids, so there will be kids.

Consider the venue and make an informed choice, but don't be all shocked when you get on a ship BUILT for kids, and see, oh my goodness, lots of kids. It's just lame. Did they think the rock wall, flowrider and zip line were built with 80 year olds in mind?? Duh!:eek:

Actually, as noted by a previous poster, this thread was going quite well. People were expressing their opinions in a respectful way, their was no name calling or hatred being spewn. It seems as if your posts have changed the theme of the thread, actually.

Interesting opinion. I am not quite sure what etiquette on a cruise you think my son isn't adapting to.

It is about different levels of rudeness, posters on here have already expressed their dis-interest at sitting with an adult who swears or who drinks too much. To many that is "inappropriate" behaviour at a supper tabe with strangers. Or is it just children who have to live up to this mythical level of good behaviour or be banished to their cabins to eat!

I was referring to eating in the formal dining room without the aid of a portable DVD player.

As you said, you weren't taking offense to the responses you received because after all, you did ask. I am just giving you my opinion. I think sitting at a dining table and watching a movie is just very poor manners. YMMV

Actually, as noted by a previous poster, this thread was going quite well. People were expressing their opinions in a respectful way, their was no name calling or hatred being spewn. It seems as if your posts have changed the theme of the thread, actually.

I haven't even addressed anyone directly, so that's not possible.

I was referring to eating in the formal dining room without the aid of a portable DVD player.

Ah ok, there are formal nights, but I was under the impression it was actually the main dining room with table service as opposed to somewhere like the WJ which is buffet. I don't really distinguish between the 2 for table manners, either it's rude to watch tv whilst eating (and he wouldn't be allowed to watch whilst actually eating) or it's not?

You still don't say if adults who swear and get drunk should be confined to their cabin to eat until they learn acceptable table manners as well?

But the thing I find most interesting is that most of the discussion has been focused on my son, who is 3 and therefore at the age he can sit still, (sort of) join in conversation and eat with cutlery (even if he maybe allowed the use of a portable DVD player). The child I would most be worried about (if I was sharing a table with me) is an 18 month old with very little reasoning skills and doesn't usually tolerate boredom very well.

Archived