Following on from the annoying dinner stories, would this annoy you?

I am off on IoS very soon, it's myself and my sister (mid 30s) plus my son (3) and daughter (18 months).

We will be using the MDR, have requested the early sitting (which is their usual supper time anyway) and are on a large table for 10 people.

We are fairly sociable and I think it's important my children learn to behave in certain situations. I will bring colouring in for my son to do and will probably at some point let him (with ear phones) watch a DVD if the meal has slow service.

Would you be annoyed sharing a table with us?

Pre-children I would have preferred not to share a table with us (I am not a child person really) and would have probably requested to move.

Interested in peoples opinions

I am off on IoS very soon, it's myself and my sister (mid 30s) plus my son (3) and daughter (18 months).

We will be using the MDR, have requested the early sitting (which is their usual supper time anyway) and are on a large table for 10 people.

We are fairly sociable and I think it's important my children learn to behave in certain situations. I will bring colouring in for my son to do and will probably at some point let him (with ear phones) watch a DVD if the meal has slow service.

Pre-children I would have preferred not to share a table with us (I am not a child person really) and would have probably requested to move.

I think you'd be perfect table-mates for other people with small children! Wonder if you can request that--would give everyone something in common. Have a great cruise!

You are new here...are you sure you want to do this? Not the cruise...that will be fine...I mean this thread:rolleyes:

lol, is it going to kick off?

It's ok, new here but old to forums so quite used to the erm cut and thrust of the internet BB.

I am genuinely interested in different peoples opinions, I already know I am not going to agree with everyone and everyone is not going to agree with me.

I think you'd be perfect table-mates for other people with small children! Wonder if you can request that--would give everyone something in common. Have a great cruise!

Yes I agree, I will investigate if I can do that (even tho I would like to point out having small children doesn't mean you will necessarily get along :) )

I've never had children and have a low tolerance for other people's children. I have had dinner in the MDR on several cruises with children at the table. They were always well behaved, therefore, I have no complainst.

I would only hope that if someone had an child that didn't behave, they would leave the table until the child could get under control.

I've never had children.

very sensible. :D

Yes if the 18month old kicked off I would leave the table. I would be surprised if the 3 year old kicked off as I don't allow him to behave like that at home nevermind out and about.

If I didnt have kids with me, I would ask to move. I think most children are cute and funny but sometimes you just want nice adult conversation at dinner.

I am pleased that people haven't attacked your question so far. Its a good question and I think I would wonder the same. When we took our teen sons on cruises I worried when our tablemates had no children. I felt they may be disappointed to see us coming since kids do change the mood of the dinner experience.

I believe they do their best to put parties that are like each other together, so you will likely be put with a family like yours.

Have a great cruise. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sometimes you just want nice adult conversation at dinner.

kids do change the mood of the dinner experience.

I agree on both counts, because we would like some adult conversation (at the same time as cutting up the childrens meal) is why we have put ourselves on a large table but then is that fair on the other diners who might want to swear or tell a bawdy joke!

lol, is it going to kick off?

It's ok, new here but old to forums so quite used to the erm cut and thrust of the internet BB.

)

Oh good! I was honestly worried for you! Some people have posted here quite earnestly asking "when is a good age for my kids to cruise?" and got responses like " 31" as a result.:rolleyes: Some threads...smoking, dress, kids...just bring on the bullies and it's not right. But if you're good to go...go for it!

Pass the popcorn, SpdbigG...extra butter please.

Personally I would not like it. And would probably request a transfer. Not because I dislike children. And nothing personal about your children.

I am a daycare provider 50 weeks a year. I do not want to spend time with children on my vacation. "over there" is fine for children to be but I do not want to spend time eating with them.

Oh good! I was honestly worried for you! Some people have posted here quite earnestly asking "when is a good age for my kids to cruise?" and got responses like " 31" as a result.:rolleyes: Some threads...smoking, dress, kids...just bring on the bullies and it's not right. But if you're good to go...go for it!

Pass the popcorn, SpdbigG...extra butter please.

Lol! You are so right!

My favorite was when I was brand new to this site and someone asked about their 3 year old wearing a suit that had shorts to the main dining room. I could not believe the angry responses!

Someone used to have a cartoon of a smiley eating popcorn that they would post after such questions.

Personally I would not like it. And would probably request a transfer. Not because I dislike children. And nothing personal about your children.

but that's cool & understandable you would just request a transfer with no hard feelings?

Good question and my answer is I would probably rather not sit with you and the only reason being that i would feel nervous for you if your children started to misbehave , I have taken grandchildren with me on cruises , older than yours 8 and 5 , but I wouldn't want anyone sitting with me when I was with my grandchildren for the same reason , it would make me too nervous ,my grandchildren behaved perfectly but had we had other adults sat with us i would have been sitting on egg shells worrying all the time ,if you are already feeling a bit nervous about this wouldn't it be better to sit on your own table so you can have a more relaxed dining experience .whatever you choose I hope everything goes well , it sounds like you have the right attitude to deal with it and it was a very good question .

Everytime I have taken my grandchildren on a cruise we are seated at a table with other families with children. One time we got a table by ourselves but then I looked around and all the tables near us also had children so they must have grouped us all together.

I realize this does not answer your question. So....I do not want to sit with children unless I myself am traveling with them.

I agree on both counts, because we would like some adult conversation (at the same time as cutting up the childrens meal) is why we have put ourselves on a large table but then is that fair on the other diners who might want to swear or tell a bawdy joke!

The waiters took over once they had brought out our meals and cut the children's meals up for us , we thought this was a really nice touch , it was just me my daughter and two grandsons at the table , they may not do that if they are dealing with a large table .

If I had chosen early dining and a large table, then I certainly wouldn't mind sitting with well behaved young children. But I do think they try to have families sit together.

But at 8:30pm, the time of LATE dining, I think children should not be at the dinner table. It is too much to ask of a child under the age of 10 or 11 to be able to sit still and behave at 8:30 dinner. They are tired and are usually bored with adults at that time.

I just got off the Monarch and had late dining. There was a table nearby with 4 small children running around and misbehaving at 9:30pm. I just wanted to shake some sense into those parents. The kids were only behaving like tired, bored, hungry, normal kids . .. it was the parents who were not taking their needs into account.

OK . .. sorry to rant.

We are a mid 30's couple without children. Don't like them... don't want them. That being said if your children were well behaved I would not have an issue sitting with them. It would not be my 1st choice of course but I wouldn't move unless they were bad.

BTW, I asked my Mom who's sailing with us what she'd do. She said she would want to move because she would not want to censor her language and drinking. She does curse like a sailor especially when she's had her daily drink (she can only handle 1) so I see her point. She called it Mommy mode and says she vacations to get away from it.

I take care of my grandchildren all year long, so you would think that when I went on vacation I would like to get away from kids. Not so much. I miss my grandchildren so much that I envy the people who have their little ones with them.

I would very much enjoy sitting with you and your family. I would get my baby fix at the same time as having adult conversation with the parents.

I hope that you all enjoy your cruise.

My children started cruising at 7 and 9 and were treated quite well by our tablemates. They were a little older than your children. My only request of you would be that you not position the children in the middle of a table for 10. It would be best if they were on the very end so that the other adults were closer together for the purpose of conversation.

,if you are already feeling a bit nervous about this wouldn't it be better to sit on your own table so you can have a more relaxed dining experience . .

I think if everyone had piled in and said children should be seen and not heard, children do not belong in MDR etc etc I would be nervous but actually because people have said listen it's not our cup of tea we would just ask to be moved it has made me less nervous.

cheersymom, I happen to agree with you, saying that 8:30 is too late for me to eat when I've been up since 6:30, nevermind a child.

shonandsuzie - interesting, my son will be in (ong) trousers and a shirt on formal night but not a suit and tie!

My children started cruising at 7 and 9 and were treated quite well by our tablemates. They were a little older than your children. My only request of you would be that you not position the children in the middle of a table for 10. It would be best if they were on the very end so that the other adults were closer together for the purpose of conversation.

good point, children will be between myself and my sister.

Archived