*OFFICIAL* CC Group Cruise 02/15/2014 Cupid's IV Southern Caribbean - Carnival Breeze

HeidiHo

Where is everybody?

Not much is going on here. It has cooled off a lot. Yesterday it only got to the low 70's. It's nice to be able to turn off the A/C and open the windows but I've actually gotten a little cold at night. Early this morning I almost wished I had my electric blanket.

Dave and I are going to Champaign on Saturday to help Eric pack up his stuff and bring it home. He will stay for the rest of the weekend to work but will head home either Sunday night after his last shift or Monday morning because he is supposed to be starting work at the Longhorn up here on Monday.

Have a great day. :)

FINALLY got all the pivot parts delivered, and the guys worked on it yesterday. Now we are waiting for a screen that goes on the pump so that can be installed. It was supposed to be there Tuesday and so far, no screen. I swear I am beginning to hate all delivery services! The "overnight" shipment of gaskets took 5 days to get here.

Looked around a bit yesterday at excursions. I need to do a lot more research before I decide anything, but I saw a Carnival excursion in Grand Turk that is a tour of historial buildings and the town and a museum that sounds interesting. Aruba might be a good beach day, Eagle Beach is supposed to be a very nice beach and only $13 for a taxi there. I will keep investigating!

I had a too-close-for-comfort call with my Callie Dog a few evenings ago. I let her out in the later afternoon to eat and then wander around a bit. She goes behind our house to where there are a lot of squirrel holes and explores. Well, something made me go out a check on her after a bit, and I found her back by the fence going into the meadow, and about 50 yards away was a coyote making a beeline right for her!! :eek: I very calmly called her and she came right to me, I put her in the yard and he stopped and looked at me for a while and then trotted off. Not long after, Callie woofed and went to the front window, I looked out and there was the coyote!! Right in front of our house!! I called for Dave, he got the gun but by the time he got out there, Mr. Coyote was a ways out. Dave shot at him anyway, but missed. He hightailed it out of here though.

Then, the next day (Tuesday), I was in the yard throwing the frisbee for Callie in the morning, and I looked up and a coyote was right in the meadow where the other incident happened! I ran inside and got the gun but by the time I got back out there, he was too far away. Then a few hours later, one was standing out in front of the house again (might have been the same one). Dave got the gun and shot at him, but missed again. Very hard to hit them when they are on the move. Later that evening, I saw one back in the meadow but too far out to shoot at.

Last night, I could see one way out in the meadow. This morning, one was behind the house again, so Dave shot at him although he was too far away to hit. Some of these sightings could be the same coyote, but I do know we have a LOT of them around. I hate them, they eat cats and dogs like nobody's business, and baby calves, baby deer & antelope. I won't be letting Callie out unsupervised anymore unless she is locked onto our fenced yard.

Sue believe it or not but coyotes are becoming a serious problem here at the beach! Our Spencer is a 13 pound shih tzu and I'm sure the coyote would consider him a great appetizer.......

We've now gone two days, I said two days, without any rain! When will this drought stop????

They came this morning and cut down the big palm tree right in front of the house. Actually looks a lot better. Of course the palm was deader than a door nail so it wasn't all that attractive.

Good evening Cupids,

We have both the four legged and 2 legged Coyotes around here. The four legged attacks small animals and the 2 legged preys upon helpless people trying to cross the border. I don't like either kind.

Sue, be careful. Some of the varmints are getting pretty brave and will attack humans.

Rick, love your sarcasm. Hope your drought last a long time. I remember a few years ago when there was a drought in Florida and the Glades were in a lot of trouble.

I'm hoping more excursions will open up. There isn't allot to choose from.

Dave

I saw the strangest thing at the wine store this morning. There was a vehicle there with a green license plate with gold lettering that said "Go Ducks". Has anyone here seen such a plate and what in the world are they talking about? I mean "Ducks" in Florida?? LOL The plate was on a white SUV. You didn't really come this early for the cruise, did you Sue?

Edited by Flick

Good Evening!

Made a quick trip to Champaign today to bring a load of Eric's stuff home. He'll be home tomorrow night. It wasn't a big deal because since he's moved around a lot he doesn't have all that much stuff. After we loaded up we took Eric and his girlfriend out to lunch and then headed back home. I am so glad we won't be making that drive anymore even though we haven't done it much since he actually graduated. In fact, his graduation may have been the last time I was there. Dave may have gone down without me, I don't remember.

I like the sound of Jacks Shack for Grand Turk. I don't know about the other ports. that bus tour with the silly name in Aruba sounds fun but there is also a jeep tour that sounds good. both get good reviews on Carnival. A sunset Cruise sounds good in Curacao and maybe an all inclusive resort for La Romana.

Have a good night. :):)

Heidi - Jack's Shack is a blast ... it's just a bunch of drinking and eating at a little tiki hut on the beach. As for the other ports, Greg and I don't know what we're for sure doing. La Romana, we haven't even looked at, Aruba, I heard the jeep rentals are the best thing to do on the island because it's so small you can see everything (plus you rent them out for the day) ... and/or Madam Teresa's restaurant, this was suggested by our dentist who goes to Aruba about three times a year ... he also said it was the best 5 star restaurant in the Caribbean that he has been too, Curacao - We haven't even looked at ... the one thing my dentist said is that normally he feels safe in the Caribbean but he said he didn't feel safe in Curacao at night. :cool:

I saw the strangest thing at the wine store this morning. There was a vehicle there with a green license plate with gold lettering that said "Go Ducks". Has anyone here seen such a plate and what in the world are they talking about? I mean "Ducks" in Florida?? LOL The plate was on a white SUV. You didn't really come this early for the cruise, did you Sue?

Ha ha ha ha! We are everywhere, Rick!! Although we do have an SUV with "Go Ducks" license plates, that wasn't us. GO DUCKS! :D

I've read good reviews about Dreams resort in La Romana. There are 2 tour operators with good reputations doing a boat trip to Saoma Island for beach time, then stop on a sandbar to see star fish on the way back. It's the same tour as one of the Carnival tours, but cheaper, less crowded & includes lunch. Seavis tours & Pro Excursions are the operators.

Good Morning! :)

It is so cold here it feels like October instead of July. It's only 61 degrees right now and is only supposed to get up to 66 today. The house is chilly too. If it wasn't cloudy it would warm up inside. I actually used my electric blanket briefly last night. I didn't have it on long but my feet got cold so I turned it on just until they warmed up. I'm tempted to turn the heat on in the house but it's 69 degrees inside and we normally have the heat set at 68. It was very cool yesterday too but we were in Champaign and it was sunny so it didn't feel all that cool. Staci is in Wisconsin at her friends families rented lake house. I doubt they are enjoying the lake much. I see she left her back pack sitting by the front door. It only has a bathing suit and a towel in it. I don't know if she forgot it or if she decided not to bring it because she knew she wouldn't need it.

Well you'll probably NEVER guess what it is doing right now. I mean who would even think there was any rain left in the atmosphere after all the rain we have been deluged with this month! Of course this being the beach, the sun is brightly shining......Have to take our dog, Spencer, to get his shots later this afternoon. Right now he is laying in the wing chair and giving me his "shih tzu happens" look. And I even shared a little of my Vienna sausage with him although he would tell the animal rights people I was starving him..........

Here's what I have on La Romana (that's the port I started with, I'll research the others more later):

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com and http://www.proexcursionsbayahibe.com are tour operators that get rave reviews here on CC. They each do a cruise passenger tour that caters to ship times, taking you on a boat to Saona Island. Seavis drops you at a beach next to the Carnival excursion and sounds like there are lots of people. Pro Excursion uses a beach around the corner that is much less crowded. Both tours include lunch, which the Carnival excursion does not. On the way back, you stop at a sandbar where you can get out in waist deep water and look at starfish.

Each of those tour operators also have a land excursion that caters to cruise passengers. Their websites explain those excursions.

Dreams Resort gets good reviews on CC and tripadvisor. It's 25 minutes from the port and a taxi can be $25 - $30 unless you get a taxi van and share with a group, for about $15 per person round trip. Contact information for their concierge is: info.drelr@dreamsresorts.com and ask about day passes. Give the name of the ship, date, and # passes you are asking about. You must leave at least one person's I.D. with the guard at the gate, but haven't read any problems with that on the boards.

A Carnival Excursion that I am considering is the Altos de Chavon & River Boat, which tours the town of Altos de Chavon and then a river cruise with music & dancing.

Edited by momofzeke

Seevis tours is what I believe we wil be doing. As several have said great reviews I emailed them I got conformation back. It did not mention deposit. I am assuming cash to the tour guide when we meet them We are planning on the walk to Jacks in Grand Turk. Sounds like a perfect place to enjoy the island. I too wil have to stop by Margaritaville for my t shirt Aruba sounds like the bus tour would be a fun time . Curaçao sounds like a relaxed port to just chill. Getting excited!!! Spent a beautiful weekend at KY Lake just pontooning ( is that a word) great friends and beautiful weather. I hope our my fellow cruisers had a great weekend also. This is my DH last 3 days to work. Thursday begins his retirement He is so excited I will give him a week before I hit him with honey do list

Well, it's official. Eric is home. We have a full house again. He already had his 1st shift at the Longhorn he transferred to. Now if only Staci would get a job. She had 4 interviews scheduled this week so that's a good sign. she had 2 today. One of them already asked her to come back for a 2nd interview tomorrow. The other one she didn't like the place so even if they want her to come back she's going to decline. Then she has 2 more new interviews this week. I sure hope something works out for her soon.

Good Morning!

WE ARE FINALLY UNDER 200 DAYS!!!!!

Staci's interviews have gone well this week. I hope she'll be employed soon. She had four "first" interviews, all of which went well but 2 of the companies she didn't think were a good fit so she does not plan to accept any offers from them. One of the ones she liked she is going back tomorrow to "shadow" someone. She also liked another place that she interviews with this morning. Then she also had a phone interview with Groupon yesterday and she has another one with them later today. He roommate from school last year got a job with Groupon. I don't think they'd be working in the same department though.

It has been so cool and rainy for the past week. I want summer back. :( What a difference from last summer when we had one of the hottest summers on record and a drought. It goes from one extreme to the other. :rolleyes:

Well it is official....we received 25.7 inches of rain in June and July and the aquifers are now full so all watering restrictions we have been following since last year have been lifted!