How Do You Pronounce Lido

CRUISE4JANE

The usual pronunciation is lee-dough, and lid-o is pretty close to that.

Although the proper English pronounce it lie-dough, just to mess with us. ;)

I grew up in England calling it Lie-dough,I now live in Australia and they call it Lee-dough, I still call it Lie-dough.

In the UK a Lido (lie dough) was an open air public swimming pool that is only open in summer months and frequented rarely due to weather:D

In Australia 99.9% of swimming pools are open air because its so hot,I think they call Lido Lee-dough because of US run cruise ships and The Love Boat.

Lee dough doesn't sound at all Italian? Lie dough sounds more Italian to me!

Den

Thanks ya'll. Guess I screwed up :eek:. At least I know now :). My daughter is going to say, "I told you so" :mad:.

Not yet fully established so don't give in!

Wikipedia is only showing the different ways it is pronounced today!

Read on and you will see that the word Lido (Lie dough) was first adopted by the British returning from Venice to describe an outdoor swimming pool so the correct way to say Lido in English is in fact "lie dough":D

The first time it was used as a word for outdoor swimming pool and area was in London in 1935,I am from London,Londorners say Lie dough so lee dough is in fact incorrect :D

Lido (lie dough) is the winner:D:

Den

Read on and you will see that the word Lido (Lie dough) was first adopted by the British returning from Venice to describe an outdoor swimming pool so the correct way to say Lido in English is in fact "lie dough":D

The first time it was used as a word for outdoor swimming pool and area was in London in 1935,I am from London,Londorners say Lie dough so lee dough is in fact incorrect :D

Den

But which was named first? The island Lido di Venezia prounced lee dough or the London outdoor pool proncued lie dough? The oldest is the winner, right? If the British pronounce it lie dough and most of the rest of the world pronounces it lee dough.....regardless, on the cruise ships it is prounced lee dough.

But which was named first? The island Lido di Venezia prounced lee dough or the London outdoor pool proncued lie dough? The oldest is the winner, right? If the British pronounce it lie dough and most of the rest of the world pronounces it lee dough.....regardless, on the cruise ships it is prounced lee dough.

No! The lido deck on a cruise ship is an outdoors area and swimming pool it is not a Venetian island,the word now is English to describe an outdoor swimming pool area not an island!

Still the winner:D

Den

No! The lido deck on a cruise ship is an outdoors area and swimming pool it is not a Venetian island,the word now is English to describe an outdoor swimming pool area not an island!

Still the winner:D

Den

Then tell me why the cruise industry pronounces it lee dough?

The pool deck of course! Lido is only in our vocabulary in topics involving cruises.

"Then tell me why the cruise industry pronounces it lee dough?"

was you question

"So American cruisers know where to go for a swim:D"

was my tongue in cheek answer.

"The pool deck of course! Lido is only in our vocabulary in topics involving cruises"

Was your come back??????:D

Lie dough still wins because the English term Lido (Lie dough) means open air swimming pool and area which they now have on most cruise ships:D

Den

Den

Well, then, Den, it would seem that the pronounciation of L-i-d-o is dependant on the accent one uses when speaking the English language. Canadian, American and Australian is Lee-dough British is lie-dough :)

Who wins? ;)

Emi

After a couple DOD's, I say shlee-doh. :D

Well, after a night of partying and finally getting home at 3am, shlee-doh sounds perfect right now. :D

Lido is pronounced [LEE-doh], since the word has an Italian origin. It came from the name of a beach in Venice, then became a common noun.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lido.

I knew of the Lido of Venice long before the Lido deck. :D

my source still for all things cruising remains the love boat.

is captain stubing says lee dough, it's lee dough. this includes some location visits to down under.

new, if i can only find the show to help me with produce.

Well, then, Den, it would seem that the pronounciation of L-i-d-o is dependant on the accent one uses when speaking the English language. Canadian, American and Australian is Lee-dough British is lie-dough :)

Who wins? ;)

Emi

We all know this!:D: but what it shows is the OP is not at all wrong and her daughter is not at all right, and the point of the thread.

I say "tom ar toes" you say "tom a toes" lol

Den

I grew up in England calling it Lie-dough,I now live in Australia and they call it Lee-dough, I still call it Lie-dough.

In the UK a Lido (lie dough) was an open air public swimming pool that is only open in summer months and frequented rarely due to weather:D

In Australia 99.9% of swimming pools are open air because its so hot,I think they call Lido Lee-dough because of US run cruise ships and The Love Boat.

Lee dough doesn't sound at all Italian? Lie dough sounds more Italian to me!

Den

There is no "I" sound in Italian/Spanish. "I" sounds like "E", and Lido means beach in Italian, so I think the Italians have you beat on using the word. I love the UK, but seems that you definitely are mispronouncing it (just like a few other words). ;)

My name, Didi, is not pronounced DIE-DIE, it is pronounced Dee-dee (same concept).

There is no "I" sound in Italian/Spanish. "I" sounds like "E", and Lido means beach in Italian, so I think the Italians have you beat on using the word. I love the UK, but seems that you definitely are mispronouncing it (just like a few other words). ;)

My name, Didi, is not pronounced DIE-DIE, it is pronounced Dee-dee (same concept).

There is no beach on the Lido deck of cruise ships?

But there is an open air swimming pool on lido deck!

yes we stole it from Italy and made it our own,yes USA took it from the British who made it their own but that is how the English language works.:)

Den

Hi, I'm back. DH and I had a night out, so I wasn't on the boards much to read all these replies. Kinda cute. Oooooops........................I should say KIND OF :p. Maybe we can just forget about the correct name of the LIDO and call it PLAY DOUGH haha.

Archived