Help about great barrier reef

parker6

Shelley, if you are going to be in Port Douglas for that many days, especially in January, I would definitely wait until you get there to book your Quicksilver trip. I don't think you need to worry about the boat being full--it carries several hundred people.

Also, we have rented cars on most of the trips we have made to Port Douglas. As already explained by others, the drive between Cairns and PD (and the other locations you mention) is not difficult. There are only two things I would watch out for:

1) There are a number of traffic circles just outside of Cairns. We don't have them much in the U.S., but they aren't difficult to navigate.

2) The drive between Cairns and PD is so beautiful that you want to make sure the driver keeps his eyes on the road. :)

Thanks, GradUT. I will put blinders on my husband while he drives, if necessary, to keep us safe!

Now, that it looks like we can wait to book Quiksilver, what about the other days that I am planning? As always, I have a few more questions. We are planning the following itinerary:

1) One full day at the GBR

2) One full day at Daintree

3) One full day at Kuranda (skyrail, etc.)

4) 1/2 day at Hartley's Crocodiles

5) 1/2 day (approximately) with a helicopter trip over the GBR and perhaps the rainforest

The day at the GBR and the day at Daintree are absolute definites! I'd really like to do the helicopter, too, if we can. The only sights I have any ambivalence about are Kuranda and Hartley's Crocodiles. Fellow cruisers here on CC seem to really enjoy Kuranda for the most part, although some found it a little dull. Tripadvisor reviews are excellent for Hartley's Crocodiles, and it's not everyday that I get up close and personal with a croc!

My first question is: Are Kuranda and Hartley's the "best" use of our limited day and a half, or is there a "don't miss" that I'm missing and should do instead?

My second question is: When we go to Daintree (assuming we do it on our own even if my husband chooses to employ a driver), and if we go to Kuranda and Hartley's, is it necessary to pre-purchase tickets online, or can we easily get tickets when we arrive in Port Douglas in the same way that we can wait to book Quiksilver?

My third question is: I'm not even sure what we should do and see when we go to Daintree. I have the maps that Colleen directed me to follow for Daintree, but I'm not sure what are the "must see" spots. Also, is there a river boat ride that we should take to Cape Tribulation? I really don't know much yet about what to do during the day that I have allocated for Daintree. All I know is that it's a spectacular highlight not to be missed when visiting this area. Please provide me with some direction on how to plan this, if you can.

The good news: No more questions for now!

Thanks again to everyone for all of the wonderful help you have provided. I really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Shelley :D

Shelley,

You do not have to prepurchase any tickets. Just see what the day brings weather wise and take it from there. If it is a wet day, then don't think about going on the train or sky train to Kuranda as we believe the best part of visiting Kuranda are the views on the way up and down. To us, Kuranda is a bit of a hippie town catering to the tourist dollar.

The Daintree is beautiful for the tall forest trees and the vegetation. Apparently it is the oldest rainforest in the world. Here is a good link: http://daintree.localtourismnetwork.com/

There is a great sky walk amongst the trees which I feel is a must. http://www.daintree-rec.com.au/centre.html

There are lovely beaches and you may even be lucky and see the wonderful cassowary bird which is so exciting if you happen to see one. I am sure you will love your day up there.

Of course if you want to see crocodiles then you have to visit Hartley's. We have been fortunate and saw them in the wild up at Kakadu in Northern Australia, which was an incredible experience. You may even see them in the water or on the side of the banks of the river when you get the ferry to cross the river before getting to the Daintree forest.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to swim when in the Daintree due to the stingers in the water. They are there between October and May and you will find that the main beaches around Cairns, - Trinity, Palm Cove and Port Douglas will have the nets out in the water.

Ask any questions and we are happy to answer them for you. We are going up to Palm Cove in July and will probably visit the Daintree once again. We have been there many times. Another great spot to visit on your way to the Daintree is the Mossman Gorge. You can swim there amongst the waterfalls and it is a lovely spot to cool off in the hot and humid conditions you will be experiencing.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, Jennie.

plan was to rent a car at the airport in Cairns, but it may be too complicated for my husband to drive through the city to Port Douglas.

not complicated at all.

turn right at the first set of lights as you leave the airport, then 45-50 minutes later turn right to Port Douglas.

Archived