Iguazu Falls tour info from B. Aires

vagabondbug

You could, but it isn't ideal. The Argentine side gives you a different perspective, from walkways over the tops of the falls and below, and the Brazilian side is much better for iconic photos of the falls on the Argentine side of the river. The Brazilian side takes about 3 hours to walk the path. You have to cross the border to get both experiences, which takes an hour or so. You could easily spend an entire day on the Argentine side, but you can do a quick tour of the upper trail in a few hours. The Bird Park on the Brazilian side (2-3 hours) near the park entrance is also interesting, and you might want to take a boat ride under the Devil's Throat falls too. You would probably need a visa to enter Brazil; check for requirements for folks with your passport.

Hi Rambo - You can see the Falls in a single day (I assume you do not mean flying up and back in a single day?) but if you do I would recommend you stay on the Argentine side. You will have to have a visa to enter Brazil, which is several hundred dollars and involves a personal appearance at a Brazilian consulate or using a travel service for an additional fee, and while there are some good shots from the Brazilian side, my personal experience is that the most stunning scenes are on the Argentine side. And it's really only on the Argentine side that you get directly into the falls, if you want to do that!

What exactly is your schedule - are you proposing to fly up and see the falls and come back the same day?

Hi

I was originally going to plan going upto the falls for 1 night and stay a couple of night in buenos aires.

I was planning on staying in the Sheraton, I've read not up to usual standards for sheraton but great for location any advice?

Hi

I am after a bit of advice, i am looking at going on Celebrity infinity next year and i have got my ta arranging a pre tour before the cruise.

I am looking at visiting the falls, but am slightly concerned incase the flight is delayed and i could miss the ship i have read on here about the flights being delayed or cancelled

Could you see the falls in 1 day??

Many Thanks

Everyone has different priorities, finances and times available, but I think it's a great day trip to see the falls in one day, flying from BA in the morning and back at evening. I did a review on this trip which we just did in February on this forum (Iguazu in one day). It's kind of like some people might say you can 'see Disneyland' in a day and others might say you need three--but given the choice between one day or not at all, I'd sure go for a day. I would not go the day before your cruise leaves. We had no problem with flights (both on time and both excellent service) but there are lots of reviews of LAN and AA which complained of delays. If you can arrive in BA 3 or more days before the cruise, you have time enjoy Iguazu.

Hi

I was originally going to plan going upto the falls for 1 night and stay a couple of night in buenos aires.

I was planning on staying in the Sheraton, I've read not up to usual standards for sheraton but great for location any advice?

I stayed at the Sheraton in January and visited the falls in one day. I believe my flight left for BA around 3pm. I got up early and walked the grounds before the gates opened and saw much of the wildlife in this serene time. It was an exhausting day but well worth the expense and the effort.

I would agree with others that I wouldn't risk flying back to BA the same day as the ship departure. I flew into BA and then flew directly to Iguazu. You will need to change airports and I arranged transportation in advance.

A few more recommendations

I booked hotel and air through Expedia which was significantly cheaper than booking them separate. I would recommend looking for Air+Hotel options. Also LAN is known to be more reliable than the other choice.

If you are flying to BA with a One World Alliance (LAN, American, etc..) I hear that the add on to Iguazu can be a good savings.

Hi again Rambo. One night in Igauzu will work. It's been several years since we stayed in the Sheraton, but it has the ideal, really only, location for visiting the falls...it is right in the park, you just walk out the door and you are there! Reception should be able to arrange any special tours you might like. I hope it is at least ok as a hotel.

Buenos Aires is worth more than one night but you'll enjoy your stop. Recoleta Cemetery is fascinating, the restaurants in the Puerto Madero are good, and if you are interested in art there are numerous museums to try. A wide range of music is available as well. Be prudent - the pickpockets were skilled - and have a great time.

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided to do 4 nights per cruise. 2 nights in ba and 2 at the falls, I've decided to get back the night before ship departs so at least I'll be in ba. (Wouldn't fancy making my own way to ushashia).

I've been to ba before and stayed near the obelisk and found this to be a good location.

Once again thanks for all the advice I've only got 302 days to go, not that I'm counting.

• 4 weeks later...

We flew from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu where we stayed 2 nights in the Hotel Saint George right in the middle of the small town and a 2 minute walk to the bus station. The bus to the falls is 20 pesos per person. The first bus arrived before the Cataratas ticket counter even opened at 8 a.m. The small train was waiting for us and additional passengers. We were the first to walk the trail to the Diabolo falls. You could not have gotten there earlier by staying at the Sheraton.

The Sheraton is a nicer hotel but also pricier. The Saint George is a nice hotel, however. The people at the reception spoke excellent English. They arranged a car for us to go to the Brazilian side because we did not want to bother with a bus and crossing the border on our own. The driver came back for us at a prearranged time. We saw other drivers waiting for their passengers. (We do have a visa for Brazil from a previous trip.)

It's definitely worth seeing both sides. The falls were the highlight of our trip! No guide is needed. The trails are well marked.

We left our big suitcases in the Hotel in Buenos Aires and travelled with small bags only. Our hotel called a taxi to the airport. In Puerto Iguazu, we took a taxi at the small airport. They had a counter inside for this purpose. On our return, the hotel Saint George called a taxi for us. In Buenos Aires, we lined up for a taxi outside the airport.

Archived