QM2 TA booking - Any advantage booking with Cunard direct vs travel agent?

Tobysmum

Hi all

Cunard Australia have finally confirmed that bookings for May 2013 will open next Tuesday, although they have yet to publish prices (I'm told that Monday is the day!). My question is - what are the pros and cons of booking direct with Cunard as opposed to using a travel agent. We want to book early to guarantee a specific cabin - leaning towards mid ships deck 5 - so I'm assuming that discounts wouldn't be available at this early stage. As the TA crossing is a part of 3-4 week holiday, involving flights and accommodation in Dubai, Paris, London and NY, a travel agent would seem to make sense, at least to co-ordinate everything.

I'd be interested to hear your views. Many thanks in anticipation.

I'm in Australia and booked through a travel agent. They quoted the same price as the website at the time and were able to contact Cunard on my behalf and ask a couple of questions I had.

I always find an overseas trip is best organised through an agent. You at least have a contact back home if anything is stuffed up.

It would depend on how confident you are about organising the different parts of your trip. Now I almost never use a travel agent for a whole trip - maybe I will book the main Aust- OS flights with our local TA (and a cruise through another (often an overseas one where this is allowed by the cruise line - and this number is shrinking - Cunard is not one which allows this for example). I have found that the majority of Australian TAs often do not offer those extra "perks" for example decent OBC and often the price is much cheaper using a large US or UK online agent. I usually book any other flights, transfers, accommodation, train tickets etc on the internet directly. Actually my local TA told me that they cannot match the online flight prices for connecting or short flights in Europe or South America for example and that I would be better off booking directly. It can be time-consuming but it means that I am always in control.

It would depend on how confident you are about organising the different parts of your trip. Now I almost never use a travel agent for a whole trip - maybe I will book the main Aust- OS flights with our local TA (and a cruise through another (often an overseas one where this is allowed by the cruise line - and this number is shrinking - Cunard is not one which allows this for example). I have found that the majority of Australian TAs often do not offer those extra "perks" for example decent OBC and often the price is much cheaper using a large US or UK online agent. I usually book any other flights, transfers, accommodation, train tickets etc on the internet directly. Actually my local TA told me that they cannot match the online flight prices for connecting or short flights in Europe or South America for example and that I would be better off booking directly. It can be time-consuming but it means that I am always in control.

Thanks for the thoughts - I guess we're a little wary about spreading our bookings over various sites as there will be a somewhat complicated itinerary, and I don't want to carry various confirmations around with us. We have also experienced a situation where travel arrangements were changed (caught up in the Japanese tsunami situation) and having a centralised TA help with re-arrangements.

I'm particularly interested in whether TAs can offer discounts that Cunard cannot - particularly at this early stage of booking.

By the by, as a newbie to this forum - what does OBC stand for?

Thanks.:)

Hi all

Cunard Australia have finally confirmed that bookings for May 2013 will open next Tuesday, although they have yet to publish prices (I'm told that Monday is the day!). My question is - what are the pros and cons of booking direct with Cunard as opposed to using a travel agent. We want to book early to guarantee a specific cabin - leaning towards mid ships deck 5 - so I'm assuming that discounts wouldn't be available at this early stage. As the TA crossing is a part of 3-4 week holiday, involving flights and accommodation in Dubai, Paris, London and NY, a travel agent would seem to make sense, at least to co-ordinate everything.

I'd be interested to hear your views. Many thanks in anticipation.

I did a similar holiday itinerary in 2010 and booked everything (with the exception of flights) myself. It was fun researching the hotels and making the bookings. I booked hotel accommodation, rental car, Eurostar & Acela Express. I should have booked the flights myself, it was only $1.00 cheaper booking via a travel agent.

Check out overseas online travel agents for prices (you can do that via Cruise Critic too) and you'll find they are normally cheaper than Cunard Australia. The later you book, the better the price (normally).

Remember,

When there is a flight problem or any other problem its up to you to deal with. Those who where smart enough to use TA had no problem getting home when the volcano's in Iceland suspended air traffic. Those without Ta had to wait up to 2 weeks to get home. You decide. A good agent should know the ships upside down the most you could do is go by the cruise lines agents who are in call centers and have never even been on a ship in their lives most of the time. Norwegians is in Arizona for example.

Archived