Better for Whale watching

VickieAnn

I was wondering which folks thought was better for whale watching Juneau or Icy Point Strait? For some reason I thought I read somewhere that Captain Dan in Icy Point Strait was the way to go for whale watching but want to double check. We will be in Alaska the 3rd wk of July.

Both areas have 100% sightings for humpbacks. Every trip is different. The "best" comes in, in my opinion with reguard to time, and how your tours fit best in the short times, you have. Is there other touring of interest in either port?

I've read your recommendations on Juneau but do you have some for Icy Straight Point?

Both areas have 100% sightings for humpbacks. Every trip is different. The "best" comes in, in my opinion with reguard to time, and how your tours fit best in the short times, you have. Is there other touring of interest in either port?

Not BQ, but I can highly recommend Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge in ISP. Went with them in August of 2011, and boy did we get lucky! Numerous times we saw bubblenet feeding and breaching, whales all around. It was a fabulous day and one of my favorite excursions on our 14 day AK cruise last year. Would love to go back and stay for a few days next time:D! There are also several other independent providers that get high praise in ISP including F.I.S.H.E.S., Glacier Wind and I believe Tek Outfitters. Go to ISP's website where each private vendor is listed.

I was wondering which folks thought was better for whale watching Juneau or Icy Point Strait? For some reason I thought I read somewhere that Captain Dan in Icy Point Strait was the way to go for whale watching but want to double check. We will be in Alaska the 3rd wk of July.

For our upcoming cruise, we decided to book whale watching in ISP and do something else in Juneau. There was not much to do in ISP, but based on cruise critic reviews, whale watching in ISP was a more intimate experience.

In Juneau, we booked an all day Tracy Arm Fjord tour. I heard that if you have time in Juneau, Tracy Arm Fjord is a cant miss.

Not BQ, but I can highly recommend Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge in ISP. Went with them in August of 2011, and boy did we get lucky! Numerous times we saw bubblenet feeding and breaching, whales all around. It was a fabulous day and one of my favorite excursions on our 14 day AK cruise last year. Would love to go back and stay for a few days next time:D! There are also several other independent providers that get high praise in ISP including F.I.S.H.E.S., Glacier Wind. Go to ISP's website where each private vendor is listed.

These all get rave reviews. All are 6 passenger boats so the book up quickly. As a search will find, there are at least a couple of negative reports each year about Teckk.

Archived