Skagway and Juneau excursions

cruisingrus

At least two years ago I didn't see any booth etc. for those two ports. For Ketchikan we saw a few.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. YOu can do a lot of pre-research online and also look thru what is offered thru your cruiseline to gauge your interest and than look to see what companies offer what independently. With that knowledge and a few emails figure out do you want to wait or book ahead of time.

IMHO if you are looking for the best experience a little prework and research will go a long way. If you are looking for a deal, you could be dissapointed to find the "best" tours booked when you get off the boat.

Are there independent tour companies offering excursions at the Skagway and Juneau piers when you get off the ship? And are they reliable?

There were in Juneau at the shuttle stop. I really don't remember seeing many in Skagway, but suspect there are some options.

Although, I am not sure I would wait until I got there to see what to do? Do some research to figure out what you want to do. Then see what options exist. In some clases, such as going to Mendenhall Glacier, you can easily catch a shuttle, but if whale watching is your preference, you may not find one available of your liking...

Yes there are booths at both docks. In Juneau, they are next to the library and tram. In Skagway, they are on the RR dock.

BUT, this isn't the Caribbean. At the least, know what you would be considering, and don't just get off the ship with no ideas. This plan is best if you are looking for a bus type tour etc. Not for flights.

Look over your ship shore excursion lists before you get there, so to have ideas and know what is avaiable from each port.

Archived