Spring break destiny 4/2

beach410

The line for the tender back to the ship was very long. I wanted to wait until it died down, but DH said lets see if they do VIP back to the ship, which I didnt think they would, he asked an employee we happened to see and she said sure lets see what we can do and I am very glad that she got us on as quickly as she did being that my sons situation could have turned out worse if he had fainted or passed out while still at HMC waiting in line. It was pretty scary.

Thank you, me too! He had a rough time, but he took a nice long nap before dinner and then went straight to bed after, the experience knocked him out.

I see your going on my dream vacation, the Legend over Thanksgiving, Im jealous! Thanks for tagging along!

After that adventure we hung out at the aft pool, we found chairs easily, its that time of day when a lot of folks are getting ready for early dinner. We liked to hang out back here away from the noise and commotion of the main lido deck.

I also wanted to mention that on embarkation day they did have two guys playing carribean music as well as other days. And they also had various movies throughout the day.

I had sushi a couple of the nights, it was very good.

Dinner tonight:

Ceasar salad, nice and fresh and fettucini with chicken and mushroom sauce, I am always impressed when the pasta is cooked perfectly, aldente and it was loaded with mushroom flavor. If you don’t like mushrooms, don’t get it, so many in there, they are hard to pick out. Main dish was jerk pork loin, good, not as great as I have had before, but I have also had worse, this time it was average. The mashed sweet potatoes were tasty. I had tiramisu and a taste of DH apple pie, which was delish.

Tonight the waiters danced for us, they always do a good job of at least looking like they are having fun!

577389_421627837848143_100000027912188_1681867_1611235028_n.jpg

I cant figure out my camera, sorry these are a little dark and blurry,. maybe someone will teach me someday how to get my setting correct. :o

528839_421627921181468_100000027912188_1681869_1799786473_n.jpg

P1130401.JPG

Day 4

Grand Turk:

Packed plenty of water! WE were really looking forward to this port, we planned nothing but another beach day and some snorkeling. Captain tells us we are getting in late due to some inclement weather conditions, I hadn’t noticed any, but ok, we get there about 1.5 hours later then planned. Liberty was already there and all the chairs were taken, with mostly towels, all along the beach and the pool. Yikes, we didn’t have a back up plan. We decided just to lay our towels on the sand, word of warning, this area is very rocky, I suggest bringing water shoes if you plan on swimming.

DN and DNB found a table by the pool at Margaritaville, as long as you are ordering you can use the tables, so we decided to pack it up not long after we settled in. The boys went off to play with that wonderful ball, which ended up entertaining several other boys in the pool, they had a good time with it. SIS and I sat in the pool on the side, there was quite a large high school spring break crowd in this area of the pool, we had fun listening to music, dancing in the water (doing the wobble in a pool is easier then on land, lol) and watching the DJ put on various shows with the crowd. We had a few drinks, ordered some nachos and enjoyed a few hours there.

About 4pm the beach emptied out and we spent about an hour there relaxing in the chairs and taking a dip in the water, which at this time of the day, was high tide so less rocky. It was a nice day even though I didn’t get a chance to snorkel. If we go back, I would probably look into renting a golf cart or jeep and exploring the island some.

I just realized I have no pictures of this day!

Back on board we had sushi and some snacks from the grill to hold us over for dinner.

Dinner in the MDR this night: Lobster bisque, good. Ordered two entrees tonight because the onion rings on the beer battered fried fish filet sounded appetizing, boy was I wrong, the dish was very greasy, ended up just giving it back to the servers.

I really enjoyed the Chateaubriand with béarnaise though. I also had a taste of the new bacon mac’n cheese, then another bite and a few more after that, it tastes like home made mac an cheese and who doesn’t like home made mac and cheese and again the pasta was cooked perfectly, not mushy at all, and the flavor, mmm the bacon really is a nice compliment to it. Dessert tonight was cappuccino and grand marnier soufflé, desserts I don’t ever have unless I am cruising, yes, I gained a few pound, everyone of them worth it!

DSC_2235.JPG

P1150714.JPG

Day 5

Sea day:

We did breakfast in the buffet area today, as described above under the lido lunch portion of my review.

After we found seats up on the back of the ship, great spot, wish I was able to spend more time there, the view is perfect. You don’t get the view of the ocean on the lido level; you have to go up a level.

However, I ended up running all around though; we went to the future cruise talk to get a ticket for the free cruise drawing later that afternoon. Then I grabbed lunch, took it up to my chair, yes, I was gone like 45 minutes, my sister stayed there the entire time though.

Then after lunch DH and I went to the art auction for an hour. Then I went back up to my chair and then it was time for the future cruise drawing, I walked there and decided I didn’t see my chair enough this day, so I left DH with BIL to wait for the winner announcement, sadly it wasn’t us. Went back up to my chair again and the weather turned real windy and chilly, gave up with the chair and went indoors for sushi.

The sushi was good, I experimented with sushi I normally wouldn’t eat, I prefer the California rolls, they had this one night, I think I had sushi 3 times this trip, and I really enjoy it. I did find a miniscule crab claw in my crab roll; it was skinnier then a toothpick and about ½ of an inch in length, but very sharp. I did bring this to guest relations, so that they can alert the kitchen that could have seriously hurt someone if swallowed or bitten down on the wrong way. They thanked me for this and also sent someone to our dinner table to apologize that evening.

Dinner

Crab cake, cold, inedible (which is definitely a one off, have had it before several times and enjoyed it previously) and onion soup as starters. DH ordered the mushroom soup because he knows I like mushrooms, after tasting the mushroom soup and after having a few tastes of the onion soup, which was good, but the mushroom soup was better, I put the onion soup to the side. I can’t believe I have never tried before but I really enjoyed it.

Penne Mariscos was the entrée as well as the Veal Parmigian. The penne was good; I ate the seafood and had a few bites of the pasta to go with my Veal. IMO they don’t put enough sauce and cheese on the Veal, but its still is tender and has nice flavor.

P1120204.JPG

While we all had cappuccino again, I didn’t have my normal amaretto cake, as I ordered a couple of cakes for my SIS and DN since their birthdays were coming up on Easter Sunday.

I ordered a chocolate mouse (which I have had before) and a vanilla with strawberry cream (which I have never had, so decided to get one of each to see the difference) and everyone but my BIL liked the chocolate better. The staff sang happy birthday.

These guys were the greatest, our drink server is 2nd from the right, I have no idea who the other guy way between him and Lesther, lol.

551940_421628687848058_100000027912188_1681888_325317484_n.jpg

Enjoying your review, sorry your son got sick, i'll remember to take water with me, when we were in Cozumel it was so hot i got really light headed, i didn't even think that i may have been dehydrated.

The staff also did their normal dancing and entertaining, they were a lot of fun. I really liked this maitre de; he came around the first night to make sure we were happy with our table and came by each night to check on things. To us this was very unusual as we are only used to seeing them on the last night, maybe once more before then.

We asked this waiter to take a photo of us, what he did next had us laughing

529827_421628784514715_100000027912188_1681891_653680279_n.jpg

150141_421628824514711_100000027912188_1681892_437886565_n.jpg

and finally

542011_421628931181367_100000027912188_1681894_218736791_n.jpg

We did not use priority debarkation because we were eating breakfast in the MDR when they started debarkation, which was very early and went very smoothly. Miami now has your luggage on conveyor belts, so you have to stand around waiting for all your pieces of luggage. My SIS ended up leaving a small cooler; she totally forgot about it, which is easy to do as this portion of the trip can be a bit chaotic.

We had a lot of luggage; we gladly took the assistance of a porter who stands with you the entire time you are on line to go through customs.

We did purchase 3 bottles of liquor on board and BIL bought about 8 and carried them off with us, neither of us was questioned. BIL did not open the boxes to verify his purchase and ended up with 4 bottles of Raspberry Absolute, he wanted 3 bottles of Absolute and 1 bottle of Raspberry, but the person who checked him out didn’t know how to order it that way for some reason (he got the special 4 for $40, really good deal!), so check your purchase when you get it.

We didn’t even get a chance to look at any of the photos taken on board, I honestly don’t know where the time went, at the end of the week I was wishing for two more days to do the things I wanted to do but didn’t get a chance to, like take a ride on the slide, visit the piano bar, dance in the nightclub, watch a movie under the stars and take more pictures! I have yet to convince DH to take a 7 day cruise, I am itching to take the Legend, not sure how much longer I can wait, I may be going solo! Lol

I really couldnt of asked for more from Carnival, I honestly dont get the complaints, each cruise seems to be better and the food just as good as when I first sailed for the most part.

And the service was top notch everywhere on the ship.

Yes, the lobster tails are tiny, but you can order as many as you want, no they dont have shrimp cocktail on the menu, but really, you can buy those already cooked shrimp in any store in the frozen section and get the same quality that they serve.

I am very happy with the Carnival experience, I may choose to sail a different cruise line someday, but for now I think I will just enjoy the platinum perks.

This is only my 2nd review, sorry if it didnt have enough details and pictures of the ship, but I am happy that I now have something in writing to help my poor memory along with some of the pictures of our fun time.

Enjoying your review, sorry your son got sick, i'll remember to take water with me, when we were in Cozumel it was so hot i got really light headed, i didn't even think that i may have been dehydrated.

I know, I never thought of it either! His blood pressure dropped to something like 77 over 36! :eek: I always pack one suitcase full of drinks, mostly water, I had it in the room, I am upset with myself for not thinking of bringing any with me.

That was a few years ago, I wish I was going on that one. Have since divorced that loser, found a gret new guy ho has never been on a cruise, but we are going on the Destiny this September

ah! sorry, well thats good for you then, I hope you have a fabulous time and he catches the cruise bug. My DH doesnt like to cruise :( and its always an effort to talk him into one. But I have friends who cruise and I dont mind taking girl cruises!

Your reivew is awesome!

Is there an adult only area? Do they enforce it?

No, the Destiny doesnt have an adults only area yet. But there are less kids in the aft pool as this is where they have two hot tub that are adults only and yes, they enforce that. This area is much quieter then the pool on the lido and the 24/7 pizza and grill (only open during peak times) is conveniently located here. You can also go up one deck from here and enjoy the awesome view!

I also want to say, I think Carnival has the best chicken tenders at their grill! I am not much of a fast food eater, but I do enjoy some good fried chicken and this is.

• 6 months later...

Archived