Surviving long trips TO the cruise

clinthi

10 hours is a hop skip and a jump for us..... We travel overseas fairly often and usually have 2 long haul flights in a row. Sometimes it's just one 14 hour flight which is way better. Years ago I did it a few times with 3 small children. Not fun.

But now I look at it as time out, I watch a heap of movies, read a book and doze a little, never sleep. 10 hours is really no issue, its all about your mindset. My (now) early and late teenagers watch movies, play games, snack and they are fine. Then we have to get over the jetlag....:rolleyes:

I agree, long haul flights are second nature here in australia, but if you prepare with books, snacks, games you will be fine. The end result is worth it.

I can't say about flights, but we take long car trips with our teen and tween! We also used to drive 2100 miles each way to visit relatives 1-2 times a year when they were both a lot younger.

Best option is to keep them busy! Be it with food/games/writing/movies. If you don't have something that will play movies easily, get something. I almost just bought the coolest thing but ended up not because well it wasn't something we needed. It was a portable DVD player with 2 screens. It was only $60. A tablet or laptop would work better though if those are avaliable.

If they play games, I would also suggest investing in an extra battery or portable charger that doesn't need plugged in for their system.

A lot depends on what your tween likes also. A notebook for drawing or writing. Cards. Even some of the Crayola no mess drawing kits might be a good idea.

If your tween is a girl, you could always try introducing a new skill for her also. Heck it would work with boys also, my husband is a better sewer than I am!! Get some counted cross-stitch or needlepoint. I think you can take those on a plane, but I would also check with TSA and the air line to be sure first!

It looks like you are sailing right after school lets out for the year. Depending on the grade and such you could always talk to the possible teachers for next year and see what they might be doing/reading. Then your child can get a head start with those books and stories. I wouldn't tell them it's going to be in school the next year though.

Get some counted cross-stitch or needlepoint. I think you can take those on a plane, but I would also check with TSA and the air line to be sure first!

Yes, you can, however any scissor blades have to be less than 2.5 inches long with a rounded tip. You can find some decent kids scissors, just don't get the cheapest ones.

We were lucky enough to get a free companion ticket on British Airways. We swallowed hard and booked Business Class from Los Angeles to London. At our age ( we will never see 60 again), those long flights are a killer!

My wife was thrilled as she said she could sleep on her side!

Archived