For anyone trying to get to the Baths on your own...

jjgarv2

How exciting! Have a beautiful wedding & the honeymoon cruise of a lifetime. Hope to see you at some point!

Thank you! I am looking forward to it!!!!

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi everyone - I was looking through the Tortola message board for tour operators that take people to the Baths and came across this thread. I googled Dion Stevens to see if he had a website and noticed this?: http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/news/weekly-police-blotter-released-2

There is a Dion Stevens under unlawful possession of firearm and ammunition. Not sure if this is the same person?

If anyone has any recommendations other than Speedy's, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi everyone - I was looking through the Tortola message board for tour operators that take people to the Baths and came across this thread. I googled Dion Stevens to see if he had a website and noticed this?: http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/news/weekly-police-blotter-released-2

There is a Dion Stevens under unlawful possession of firearm and ammunition. Not sure if this is the same person?

If anyone has any recommendations other than Speedy's, please let me know. Thanks!

Who knows.... Is dion Stevens a common name?

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We'll be in Tortola on the Breeze with the short day (7A-3:30P). Would love to have a little longer day... considered Smith's or whatever it is that comes back at 2PM...

Anyone booked with Dion, can you let me know how it goes? It sounds like a fun option...

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up on the article.

However, I'm done researching and with Dion I'm going....

Not that it makes a difference, but the article is from 2010.

As with anything you do outside or with Carnival anything can happen.

No worries with me.

Lorraine~

Thanks for the heads up on the article.

However, I'm done researching and with Dion I'm going....

Not that it makes a difference, but the article is from 2010.

As with anything you do outside or with Carnival anything can happen.

No worries with me.

Lorraine~[/

Yes it makes little difference how old the article is with those charges...But we don't know for sure it's the same guy.

We stay on Tortola and this name is new to me and we'll check him out next visit. But you have a very different point of view from your earlier post (with concerns about being on your own and having your son there). Just travel well and use common sense when choosing alternate transport and I know you will both enjoy your day on VG. And if time allows have the driver return to take you to the Mineshaft for the amazing panoramic views and their Cave In - "It's all in the juice mon!"

Edited by blue_water

I have sent him 2 emails this week and have yet to hear back...any other suggestions? Anyone know how many people the scarab can hold?

I sent him an email about a month ago, it took a few weeks, but I did hear back. I am planning to use him this December. We have a large group and stated he could provide an additional boat to accomodate us.

I sent him an email about a month ago, it took a few weeks, but I did hear back. I am planning to use him this December. We have a large group and stated he could provide an additional boat to accomodate us.

How large is your group? My people are getting anxious even though we aren't going until 10/27. And we have a lot of people that want to go so some might have to make alternative plans.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever hear back as to how many he can take? I have a group of about 75 so far?

What is that a roll call? That's a very large group for any excursion in the BVI (or anywhere for that matter!). You may want to have some folks consider another itinerary otherwise everyone will be tripping over each other and won't have much fun.

There will always be a crowd at the Baths from the ship of course, but with a roll call group this huge, along with the peope who don't do the roll call on cc and can be expected to ferry there, it sounds like a good day to head to Brewer's Bay or Smuggler's Cove. Or even one of the nicer beaches on VG and a stop at the Mineshaft for the extraordinary panoramic views. Another idea is to have 1/2 the group start down the other path to Devils Bay.

Just an observation, the Baths are very unique and well worth the experience, but not too enjoyable when there's a crowd that potentially huge.

Edited by blue_water

What is that a roll call? That's a very large group for any excursion in the BVI (or anywhere for that matter!). You may want to have some folks consider another itinerary otherwise everyone will be tripping over each other and won't have much fun.

There will always be a crowd at the Baths from the ship of course, but with a roll call group this huge, along with the peope who don't do the roll call on cc and can be expected to ferry there, it sounds like a good day to head to Brewer's Bay or Smuggler's Cove. Or even one of the nicer beaches on VG and a stop at the Mineshaft for the extraordinary panoramic views. Another idea is to have 1/2 the group start down the other path to Devils Bay.

Just an observation, the Baths are very unique and well worth the experience, but not too enjoyable when there's a crowd that potentially huge.

There is actually over 500 in our group. So we will be limiting the number of people but would like to know how many he can handle.

:p

I'm thinking about the excursion experience, not the transport options. I can't imagine any destination in the Carib where 75 ppl would enjoy it simultaneously. 75 would fill half of the larger BVI fast ferries!:rolleyes:

Just curious - Why the huge grouping of 500 ppl -is this a town traveling together?

:p

I'm thinking about the excursion experience, not the transport options. I can't imagine any destination in the Carib where 75 ppl would enjoy it simultaneously. 75 would fill half of the larger BVI fast ferries!:rolleyes:

Just curious - Why the huge grouping of 500 ppl -is this a town traveling together?

Hence the reason we are looking at a private charter. We have fun in numbers. :)

Ok...

If you could split your group into smaller groups of 2 or better yet 3 you could personally charter 2 or 3 of the cat charters that are very popular there like Kuralu, Patouche, or Aristocat. They offer a Baths and Cooper Island stop or a Josts and Sandy Spit tour, amd I'm sure they would be glad to charter 2 boats for your group's pleasure if there is time. Unfortunately your 75 person group is just too large for these and not a realistic group size for any port excursion. Are others in your group aware of the challenges that size presents? I would just hate to read later about 75 ppl being very disappointed, nor would I want to be responsible, just my 2 cents worth...

But have a great cruise, amd I hope you are able to enjoy Tortola or VG as they are both beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not any better luck on getting them to respond quicker to emails and I was advised, via the tourist center, to call them if I want a more detailed answer. We have a large number of people who want to go to the Baths and because of this they are asking us to provide a credit card but the email failed to say if it was just to hold the reservation, as deposit, or for payment in full. We have decided we will need to call them to lock down details.

We were going to take Speedy's ferry over to the Baths but instead ran across Dion on the pier who, for $50 a head ( a couple bucks more than Speedy's) took 10 of us in his 30+ foot scarab in half the time and dropped us off on the beach at Devil's bay. We were on the beach by 9:30 am and he returned and picked us up from the beach at 1:00 pm. He insisted we only pay him after returning to the docks at Tortola.

He saved us at least 1.5 hours and we we neve had to deal with taxis or crowds. The cold beers on the way back to Tortola were only icing on the cake.....well worth the money!

Did you have to swim to shore or was it shallow enough to walk?

Susan

Review past recommendations from us and other experienced BVI visitors for ideas.

If going to the Baths go on the ferry on your own (no brainer, really) and work with a driver there to include a stop at The Mineshaft or Savannah Bay. If going to Josts look at a water taxi from CGB or ferry from West End or try bvi360.com. If staying on Tortola look at my beach descriptions by searching my previous posts.

There are several excellent excursion operators available in the BVI but please use common sense and verify the advIce you rely on here.

And not taking away from some of the info here, just letting you know there are excellent time-tested options for getting around the BVI. A couple of cat sails go directly to the Baths and avoid the stop in Spanishtown, and the ferry is very reliable. For cats look at Aristocat, Patouche, and Kuralu.