"Triumph"ant Adventures with D & E 12/2011 review w/photos

txlnghrn79

So here it goes! It will take a few days for me to finish this review but if you are patient I hope to make it worth it! Let me start by saying I am so sorry it has taken me a few months to post this but the last review I did almost took me a year so I am getting better!

A little run down about us. My DH Dustin is 32 and a cruise junkie. This cruise was only our second but he has a slight addiction to cruising, cruise blogs, web cams, John Heald blog, etc. My name is Erin and I am 28. We have not been blessed with any children so far, so our time and money can be spent on vacationing and cruising has become our new passion! We chose to invite our friend Marcia and DH's parents, George and Judy to book with us. None of our guest had cruised before so we chose to keep an itenary we were familiar with. We booked the 5 day to Progresso and Cozumel on the Carnival Triumph. As soon as we had booked, DH became obsessed with researching, planning, and dreaming of how we would make this cruise memorable. DH and I booked a balcony room on Deck 6 and invited Marcia to room with us. George and Judy booked on Deck 2 with an Ocean view (George was being frugile in case he didn't enjoy himself). LOL

When the week of the cruise arrived we could hardly contain our excitement. DH, Marcia, and I live in the Fort Worth area. George and Judy live about and 1 1/2 west of us. We had them drive to our house on Thursday evening so that we could all ride down together. DH and I had a chance to secretly upgrade George and Judy a few weeks before we left due to price drops from Early Saver booking. They would now be staying only a few doors down from us on Deck 6 with a Balcony! We new Judy would get a kick out of it! We tried to come up with ways to tell them but finally decided it would probably be best to let them know before the cruise started. This is the before and after pic of them after finding out their surprise! :)

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

I don't think George knew how to respond. :)

I will continue our review tomorrow with packing the van, driving to Galvaston, and embarkation! I hope to have everything done by the end of the week! :)

December 9, 2011 we woke up with great anticipation! Due to DH job as a newspaper carrier we own a van. This would be the perfect vehicle to accommodate the five of us. Packing the luggage plus five was a different story. Here is the vehicle of choice and the luggage for just us two!

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

That morning was so cold! We were ready for the sunny warmer air of the Caribbean! DH and I decided that we would take this day slowly with no stress! We got into the van and headed to Waffle House for breakfast with the parents. Then we would head to Marcia's house and pick her up on the way!

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

We picked up Marcia and headed to Galveston! Say Hi Marcia!

DSC00539.jpg

Now that are passenger list was complete we were off! The drive to Galveston is not bad. We had a lot of fun! The driver's sported DH's Progresso hat purchased on our first cruise. We also had fun working on MadLibs!

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

A drive down I45 must include a stop at exit # 146 Madisonville, Tx! Everyone needs to experience Buccee's It has a great deli, fudge shop, jerky station, gift shop, and soda fountain. The real test to the perfect stop is the restrooms! You won't find anything that compares to this! Tons of stalls, hand sanitizer, a crew cleaning it at all times!! Stop here!!

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

Arriving into Houston we encountered some traffic. We thought we were in for the long haul but it cleared up rather quickly!

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

We were quickly getting into Galveston. The next few pics are the first signs of water, the Galveston sign, and the beach.

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

Sorry for the "drive by" pictures! I promise the next pictures are better!

When we arrived to the hotel we decided to take the luggage up, survey the room, and decide what to do for dinner! We booked two rooms at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort. Marcia used to work for Hilton and was able to get us a great deal! Here are the pics of our fabulous room!

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

Thanks for the pics, looking forward to the rest of your review! We leave in 8 days!

We are coming from San Antonio, so we have to make a stop at Buccee's on I10 in Luling - you do not know what you are missing in convenience stores until you have stopped at Buccees!

Great job so far! I can't wait to read more.

We just returned from a 5 day on the Triumph last week, we had a great time.

Also I think it's funny when people get excited about Buc-ees.

My hometown is where Buc-ees originated.

Growing up Buc-ees has always been here, so as a kid I just naturally thought that they were everywhere and everyone knew about them.

Right now I live about a mile from one of their newest and largest stores and about 5 miles from their business offices.

Loving your review & pictures so far! I leave on Saturday for the Triumph, so this review comes at a perfect time for me. :) I look forward to more!

Great job so far! I can't wait to read more.

We just returned from a 5 day on the Triumph last week, we had a great time.

Also I think it's funny when people get excited about Buc-ees.

My hometown is where Buc-ees originated.

Growing up Buc-ees has always been here, so as a kid I just naturally thought that they were everywhere and everyone knew about them.

Right now I live about a mile from one of their newest and largest stores and about 5 miles from their business offices.

I know right where you are talking about. :) Our family has a beach house in Surfside. I'm jealous as you live near Bella Roma's. Yum! ;)

Please tell me about hilton Galveston Inn we are going to be staying there in August and I what to know everything about it. Please share... Would you stay there again?

Yes we would definantly stay there again! It was a great room and you could see the beach from our balcony. They have a restaurant there and a bar I think. We did not eat there for any meals. I think they have valet parking but we self parked and it was well lighted.

DSC00571.jpg

The view from our balcony on embarkation morning

DSC00609.jpg

Driving up to the front of the hotel

DSC00610.jpg

Pool area

DSC00611.jpg

Hope this helps some!!

Please tell me about hilton Galveston Inn we are going to be staying there in August and I what to know everything about it. Please share... Would you stay there again?

I have stayed there twice on both of my previous cruises that left out of Galveston, its a great hotel and whats best to me is they keep your vehicle in a nice, secure, safe area the whole time you are on the cruise for free! So its worth paying for the Hilton price to get that. They are really nice rooms, and an awesome swim-up bar at their pool, not to mention beach is right across the street and can be seen from your room! It's definitely a good choice! :)In fact, we are leaving Saturday on this same cruise the OP is started on the Triumph, and that is where we are staying pre-cruise. :) You won't be disappointed with this hotel.

So now we should be at our embarkation day! We had the bright idea to wake up super early and go down to the port to watch our ship come in! Did I mention we cruised in December? Lol it was sooooooo cold! However, the anticipation and pictures made it not so bad!

DSC00593.jpg

This was the first picture as she came around the corner!

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00600.jpgDSC00606.jpg

The beautiful whale tail!

So there she was. A few people were on their balconies waving at us. The weather was clear and waters smooth. This would not be the case on our return but we will get to that later!

Is that another cruise ship in the background of your last pics???

No. Galveston is a working port so there are always freighters and other ships in port. We will elaborate on how many can be in port with us at any given time on our debarkation part of the review. :)

Archived