La Bombonera? Say it Isn't So!

Host Faith

Cafe Mallorca is still open. I was just there in March and it was as good as ever. They are sure going to be hopping now. I had not heard of Cafe Cultura. Maybe I'll have to check them 1 of the mornings next year.

I think the local name is spelled Caficultura. It's on the NW corner of Calle San Francisco across from the plaza.

La Bombonera's closing will be partial and temporary. They will leave the pastry section open for take out while they figure out where and how to relocate their kitchen and bathrooms.

About an hour ago, there was a high-level meeting with government, tourism and private bank officials to look for alternatives.

Thank you for your interest.

Thank goodness! One of the best local spots we have gone to on any cruise and part of the reason San Juan is now our preferred departure port for Caribbean cruises.

Aviator, can you confirm that Cafe Mallorca is indeed reopened? Cluelyss18, it's in the small square a block down from LB, might be a good substitute. Or Cafe Cultura over by Plaza Colon, just a few blocks away and even easier to get to from the Pier, if you head into OSJ along the street by the Sheraton and Post Office.

Thanks! I did have that one written down as well on my check list but opted to try Bombonera due to great reviews....looks like we'll be trying Cafe Mallorca afterall! What time do they close? We are staying at the Radisson and I know we don't want to get up at the crack of dawn so do you think they would still be open and serving breakfast around 11? Also, after we eat breakfast, do you think the best plan would be to start at the forts then work our way down through OSJ? Am I way off base in thinking that we can just walk from the forts to the town throughout the day and end with some shopping?

I'm trying to make the most of our hours before we need to board

I am sorry to report that yesterday the owners could not agree on a plan to keep La Bombonera running and it closed indefinitively.

This is the latest post by Aviator....so it does not appear to be opening anytime soon if at all.

I think the local name is spelled Caficultura. It's on the NW corner of Calle San Francisco across from the plaza.

Thank you! We have 2 mornings pre-cruise and will try this out one of the 2 days...and of course Cafe Mallorca the other.

Cafe Mallorca to me was exactly the same as LaBombonera only less crowded. I actually preferred it. So I think you will be just as happy with it. OSJ is definitely walkable to both forts and everywhere in between, but it is a bit of a hike to Castillo San Felipe del Morro. We took the bus there and hiked back down. The bus can take a while though.

We made our first trip to San Juan last year and loved it! I almost felt like I was at home as old San Juan reminds me a lot of the French Quarter with the architecture of the buildings and the wrought iron balconies. Of course the streets are flat down here. lol La Bombonera was one of the highlights of our trip and it's sad to hear they are closing. We are planning to return in May 2014 and hope somehow the situation is resolved.

• 1 month later...

Well this is a major bummer...it was on my "definitely" visit for our trip in December. :( I had read so many fantastic things about the place. I hope they can find another place to open. Such a shame when you've got such a great thing going on.

Archived