Port in Galveston

bdziewit

Thank you so much for posting the pictures. They are a big help. I am going to see if I can get around that 2 night min stay at Harbor House if possible. We are in San Antonio and planning on driving down Saturday morning. If not, maybe I can get an extra vacation day.:D
I've never heard of a 2 night minimum stay at Harbor House. Is it a new policy? We stayed for one night in January and are staying there this Sunday for only one night.

I've never heard of a 2 night minimum stay at Harbor House. Is it a new policy? We stayed for one night in January and are staying there this Sunday for only one night.

Don't know if it's a new policy but when I looked @ their website last night, it did mention a 2 night minimum :-( I looked @ hotels.com for my dates and it didn't even show as a possibility...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried several pretend reservations with different dates for just one night on the Harbor House website, there was no mention of a 2 night minimum. So i hope the 2 night minimum is not true as they will lose our business.

I just wanted to let you know that the ship with the black gates around it is not typically docked there so you can walk all the way down the pier on both ends and be incredibly close to the ship. I dont know which one that is, probably the Alyssa. Anyways, my kiddo gets a huge kick out of watching the ship leave, you can see the slides, and the big screen, hear the announcements and its amazing how silently something so big moves through the water. Also ride the ferry while you are there, its right at the end of the street and watch for dolphins, its free and fun. Gorgeous at sunset. And if the line to drive on is too long (which it can be on the weekends) tell them you want to walk on, park your car and do exactly that, there is an observation deck up top open to anyone, all free!

Also, if you are going to be there Saturday night and miss the triumph pulling in, you can always watch the Magic come in on Sunday morning and leave that afternoon if you are still there! We will be!

I just wanted to let you know that the ship with the black gates around it is not typically docked there so you can walk all the way down the pier on both ends and be incredibly close to the ship. I dont know which one that is, probably the Alyssa. Anyways, my kiddo gets a huge kick out of watching the ship leave, you can see the slides, and the big screen, hear the announcements and its amazing how silently something so big moves through the water. Also ride the ferry while you are there, its right at the end of the street and watch for dolphins, its free and fun. Gorgeous at sunset. And if the line to drive on is too long (which it can be on the weekends) tell them you want to walk on, park your car and do exactly that, there is an observation deck up top open to anyone, all free!

Also, if you are going to be there Saturday night and miss the triumph pulling in, you can always watch the Magic come in on Sunday morning and leave that afternoon if you are still there! We will be!

I wonder if the ship (Elissa) is there temporarily or permanently? I ask this because in the past when I would watch the web cam that is on top of the Harbor House pointing at the cruise terminal the fence and white tent weren't there but as you can see from the picture I posted they are there now. The white tent is the gift shop for the Texas Seaport Museum. You can walk into the tent and browse the goods but there is another gate inside the tent that leads into the fenced area and there is a sign that says "ticket required to enter this area".

While the Elissa is really neat the fence is an eye sore and doesn't make for great pictures and the fact that the fence keeps you away from the south end of the pier makes it much harder to get great shots of the ships when they are docked. I know that the museum is just around the corner and that they have a gift shop because we've visited it before but I'm wondering if maybe the tented gift shop is there to sell items to people who only tour the ship and not visit the museum?

I tried several pretend reservations with different dates for just one night on the Harbor House website, there was no mention of a 2 night minimum. So i hope the 2 night minimum is not true as they will lose our business.

We booked the Harbor House more then 4 months prier to sailing and I was told that it's a 2 night minimum for only for Saturday.

Playing around on http://www.galveston.com/lodgingreservations/search.aspx?PortalID=2&Portal=GAL&AreaID=186&HotelID=13&r=Rack&CID=1&Show=a&Password=&BeginDate=9/16/2012&EndDate=9/17/2012&Nights=1&Rooms=1&Adults=2&Children=0&RN= the only time I get the "There is a Minimum Stay of night(2) for this roomtype." is when I pick a Saturday.

I wonder if the ship (Elissa) is there temporarily or permanently? I ask this because in the past when I would watch the web cam that is on top of the Harbor House pointing at the cruise terminal the fence and white tent weren't there but as you can see from the picture I posted they are there now. The white tent is the gift shop for the Texas Seaport Museum. You can walk into the tent and browse the goods but there is another gate inside the tent that leads into the fenced area and there is a sign that says "ticket required to enter this area".

While the Elissa is really neat the fence is an eye sore and doesn't make for great pictures and the fact that the fence keeps you away from the south end of the pier makes it much harder to get great shots of the ships when they are docked. I know that the museum is just around the corner and that they have a gift shop because we've visited it before but I'm wondering if maybe the tented gift shop is there to sell items to people who only tour the ship and not visit the museum?

Elissa is docked there temporarily while it's docks are being repaired and also soon it will go into dry dock for hull repairs.

From time to time other ships dock there , as example there is now also a NOAA ship docked there.

Elissa is docked there temporarily while it's docks are being repaired and also soon it will go into dry dock for hull repairs.

From time to time other ships dock there , as example there is now also a NOAA ship docked there.

That's good to know that she's only there temporarily. I did see a NOAA ship come in and dock one morning. She docked down at the end of the pier near the small building used for the Ocean Star.

We booked the Harbor House more then 4 months prier to sailing and I was told that it's a 2 night minimum for only for Saturday.

Playing around on http://www.galveston.com/lodgingreservations/search.aspx?PortalID=2&Portal=GAL&AreaID=186&HotelID=13&r=Rack&CID=1&Show=a&Password=&BeginDate=9/16/2012&EndDate=9/17/2012&Nights=1&Rooms=1&Adults=2&Children=0&RN= the only time I get the "There is a Minimum Stay of night(2) for this roomtype." is when I pick a Saturday.

This makes sense as we would be staying on Saturday....thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the ferry right there that we will be able to find it pretty easily. The kids will love that.

Yep its very easy to find! Take the same street that runs in front of the cruise terminal, harborside (I believe that's the correct name, someone will correct me im sure) all the way down almost to seawall blvd. Just past UTMB, there are plenty of signs to get you there. Locals are friendly if you need directions but it's super simple to get there. FYI cars driving on the ferry are subject to random inspection for security purposes, to avoid the hassle just walk on. I've gone since I was a kid and have only.had the car searched a handful of times, so chances are you wont get stopped but just something to know ahead of time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if the ship (Elissa) is there temporarily or permanently?

Im also pretty sure that is a temporary fix. I can't imagine Landrys and Olympia allowing it to stay there and make access harder for their customers. We will be there Sunday so I will find for sure but like I said im pretty sure it's temporary.

PP is correct about other ships docking there. It happens occasionally. The neatest one was when they christened a new naval ship there a few years ago, we just happened across that one weekend!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The docking of the Elissa has no impact on the restaurants. If anything, it has brought more customers.

Neither restaurant has any say as to who docks at the Pier. That is up to the Wharves Board and/or Mitchell Properties who owns the buiding with the Harbor House and Olympia at Pier 21.

There are many who dine at Fisherman's Wharf so they can see the Elissa when she is in her own dock.

The rebuilt dock is to be ready by the first of June, but she will not be moved until after the Plankowners fundraiser for the Elissa on June 2nd.

There ws a NOAA ship docked Monday at the pier. Don't know how long it will be there.

The Naval ship christened was the nuclear submarine U.S.S. Texas - we were fortunate to be invited and attended the christening:D

Her motto is: Don't mess with Texas!

The docking of the Elissa has no impact on the restaurants. If anything, it has brought more customers.

Neither restaurant has any say as to who docks at the Pier. That is up to the Wharves Board and/or Mitchell Properties who owns the buiding with the Harbor House and Olympia at Pier 21.

There are many who dine at Fisherman's Wharf so they can see the Elissa when she is in her own dock.

The rebuilt dock is to be ready by the first of June, but she will not be moved until after the Plankowners fundraiser for the Elissa on June 2nd.

There ws a NOAA ship docked Monday at the pier. Don't know how long it will be there.

The Naval ship christened was the nuclear submarine U.S.S. Texas - we were fortunate to be invited and attended the christening:D

Her motto is: Don't mess with Texas!

I hate you!

Not really, but I am jealous of the fact that you live in Galveston. She is my favorite port city and I would love to call her home.

To me the Elissa isn't a problem and it's actually very nice, the problem is that temporary fence which is so ugly and keeps people from being able to walk to the end of the pier closest to the cruise terminal.

I agree the fence isn't the greatest, but we live in a day where vandalism is rampant so the Elissa must be protected.

Yes, we love living here.

This weekend is beginning of Homes Tour with "Sunset at the Beach" kick off party at Beachtown.

DH and I have to maintain a list of events to know where we will be and when:D

jdyer09: Ferry Road goes to the Bolivar Ferry and the "free" cruise.

You can take Harborside Drive, Broadway or Seawall to Ferry Road.

I hate you!

Not really, but I am jealous of the fact that you live in Galveston. She is my favorite port city and I would love to call her home.

To me the Elissa isn't a problem and it's actually very nice, the problem is that temporary fence which is so ugly and keeps people from being able to walk to the end of the pier closest to the cruise terminal.

Mandatory Security for gift shop and tall ship and is only temporary.

Progress ....progress ....progress !!!:)

• 4 months later...
I'm not the OP, but wanted to say THANK YOU for posting the pics! I don't know that we'll stay @ HH on our cruise on the Magic in December (it's pricey), but I'm not familiar with the area and the pics helped identify a few places I'd read about :D Many thanks!!!

We will be at Hilton Seawall for our pre cruise. I love the pics: helps me get my bearings.

:)

Archived