Alaska cruise, starting to nail down an itinerary.

TravelRookie

Hello everyone,

I'm tentatively scratching out an itinerary for an Alaskan cruise for May 2013. I think I have an idea of what cabin to get on the boat, and a couple of off shore excursions and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Looking over the travel coupons and such, I'm leaning more on doing just the N/B cruise from Vancouver to Whittier and then doing a couple of days on our own touring as opposed to doing a cruise tour. By reviewing many of the pages here, it looks like the excursions provided by the cruiselines either don't allow enough time, for example, in Denali to do the TWT instead of the offered NWT, or enough time to do anything worthwhile in Denali for any tours. From the difference in prices of the cruisetours to simply the cruise and the 2-for-1 deals I can get from the travel discount books, I can either save some money, or come out to roughly the same price but with way more freedom for us to do what we want to do without being rushed from one place to another.

I've been sticking fairly close to the Princess itinerary since the prices looked pretty reasonable in comparison to other. Also, I was big on the whole train ride to Denali but that's only included in the cruise tours and I found other train coupons that will bring me to Denali anyways sooooo. . . . ?

Unless I was looking in the wrong spots, I couldn't find prices on a couple of cruise sites for other cruise lines. Looked to have to contact the company directly to get prices. Is that the case? If not, please let me know and I'll look again. :-)

A question for other fellow Canuks. I'm coming from the East Coast and will need to make my way to the West coast to Vancouver. Have any of you found, traditionally, for it to be easier to drive to the US and do the air travel that way? I'm certain a TA can confirm this with me as well, but I'd like to know beforehand so I'll have all my information in front of me. I've never booked a vacation before, either on my own or with a TA so this is all new to me!

Now for the tentative itinerary (and suggestions are very welcome!). I'm one that likes to go explore and am willing to try different things, but DH isn't one to want to rush around and he's very concerned about the end price tag if we book tons of off shore excursions.

We'll be doing our own think in Ketchikan, as this is the shortest port visit on the trip, and I've heard it's a very picturesque little place.

Not certain what to do in Skagway. It's a big question mark for us here. I'd love to do the tour that allows you to go see the sled dogs in Carcross but DH isn't too keen on the idea. I can see two such tours; the Yukon & Sled Dog Tour, and the Sled Dog Adventures and Musher's Camp (which is less in price). Any thoughts between the two?

I was also thinking of the train ride, but if we take this train, and then another train to Denali (especially if we took the round trip option to get back to Anchorage) I'm a little concerned that we'll be "trained" out. Any thoughts on which one would be the best worthwhile? If we don't take the train, and I can't convince DH to do the dog sled thing, any other options for Skagway? I can't guarantee we'll meet with any US residents we'll want to spend the day with, so the car rental thing to do the Yukon tour will be out since we can't drive a US rented car back in Canada.

Baring any complications, we're definitely doing the zipline tour in Juneau. After that . . .? Again, DH likes to do his own thing, explore on his own so we may or may not squeeze another excursion on this day. I was either thinking of the Tram Ride, or a city and Mendenhal glacier tour?

Once we get to Whittier, it would be to take a train to Denali and stay there using one of the get-one-night-stay-the-next free coupon so that we can take advantage of going on the TWT in the park. After that it would be to either take the train back, or rent a car to make our way to Anchorage where we would at some point (same day or a day later), hop on a plane and go home.

When in May are you thinking of going? You need to check what date that they start the TWT in Denali. I am pretty sure you can't get very far into the park until after June 1. Please check the date so you aren't disappointed by there still being too much snow and not being able to get very far into the park. You will probably also be told by others that will post to check the park shuttle bus schedule as they normally go farther into the park for less money.

Not certain yet exacly in May, either the 3rd or last week so more towards the end of May. I checked the Denali National Park Shuttle Buses and although the Eielson Visitor Centre shuttle bus only starts on June 1, the Toklat starts on May 20 and is 53 Miles One Way (6.5 round trip) for $25 per adult. Looking at the Park Road map, it appears to be roughly the half way mark. I would suspect I'd still get to see a lot of the park but if anyone can confirm this as well, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Check with Chillkoot tours on their WP&Y RR/bus tours - they have one that is about 1/3 train and 2/3 bus that goes to Carcross, Emerald Lake, etc. You train between Fraiser and Skagway (either first or last segment) and bus from Fraiser to Carcross and a tourist place called Caribou Crossing where you eat a BBQ lunch and have the option of seeing sled dogs.

Check with Chillkoot tours on their WP&Y RR/bus tours - they have one that is about 1/3 train and 2/3 bus that goes to Carcross, Emerald Lake, etc. You train between Fraiser and Skagway (either first or last segment) and bus from Fraiser to Carcross and a tourist place called Caribou Crossing where you eat a BBQ lunch and have the option of seeing sled dogs.

In addition to Chillkoot, there are a couple other operators that do something similar: Dyea Dave & Beyond Skagway with Becky. (We chose to go with Becky - YMMV) There may even be a few others.

YMMV = Your Miles May Vary

With the caveat that I have not been on either the Denali train or the Skagway train, if "I" were to choose between the 2, I'd choose the Skagway train.

Another 2 Caveats - I am not going to Denali at all, so I can't recommend a different way of getting there. & We will be taking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver & back, so that is how we will be "trained out." Hence our choice to just drive with Becky.

Since your husband likes to do "his own thing" why don't you drive to Denali. You will get there faster than the train and be able to stop when you want and do what you want. Also, then it will help you not get "trained" out.

You could take either the bus or train transfer to Anchorage when you get off your northbound cruise then rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Denali. Someone on the board mentioned that you can rent a car in Whittier but I don't remember what agency it is and then you would have to check the drop off fee and compare it to the price of the transfers and the time for them.

Yes, check with Chilkoot tours at www.chilkootcharters.com

They have some good tours to offer and I have heard good reviews about them.

You would be far better off, using a car rental for mainland Alaska, and Denali Park. Having your own transportation is way superior.

The White Pass RR out of Skagway, is excellent for superior scerery compared to the Klondike Highway.

Clearly, there is no need to get any plans in place this early. Keep working on your itinerary, and fine tuning the plans.

Thanks bonvoyagie, TheCalicoCat and poolwife for the tour name Chillkoot and other suggestions.

You would be far better off, using a car rental for mainland Alaska, and Denali Park. Having your own transportation is way superior.

The White Pass RR out of Skagway, is excellent for superior scerery compared to the Klondike Highway.

Clearly, there is no need to get any plans in place this early. Keep working on your itinerary, and fine tuning the plans.

Oh I'll keep working the itinerary. . and on the DH for a few more off shore activities!;)

Thanks for the comparison between the White Pass RR to the Klondike Highway.

Archived