Sign & Sail/Debit Card Question....

We are leaving today for our trip....I have searched several pages and haven't found the information I'm looking for...so I decided to quickly post this and see if I can get an answer before we leave...

I've read that a lot of people have had problems using their debit card as their sail and sign account. We are opting to use cash as a deposit instead and I know you have to go to the purser's desk to change this. My question is...do we still fill out the sign and sail paper in our documents with our debit card at first and then change it at the purser's desk? and if we do it that way, will they still have a "hold" on our debit card?

(Trying to figure out the best way to do this)....

in general (not just cruises) if you're gonna use cash, definitely don't give your debit card info... we always get double charges & holds (which translate to temporary debits) because we use our debit card as if it were a credit card.....

I haven't had a problem with mine either :D

But if you are going to use cash, don't fill out any credit/debit info on the S&S card, just leave it blank and you will square away at the pursers desk once on board, with cash....

But if you are going to use cash, don't fill out any credit/debit info on the S&S card, just leave it blank and you will square away at the pursers desk once on board, with cash....

GoinCruisin---Thank you for answering my question. And thanks to everyone else who posted.

I was thinking about asking the same question. My debit has a Visa on it and I use it for everything. But does anyone think it would be a good idea to call my bank and inform them that I will be at so and so just in case they dispute some strange places my card is being used? My cousin has that problem when he is overseas.

I was thinking about asking the same question. My debit has a Visa on it and I use it for everything. But does anyone think it would be a good idea to call my bank and inform them that I will be at so and so just in case they dispute some strange places my card is being used? My cousin has that problem when he is overseas.

I inform my bank anytime I travel out of the country... That way if they see charges coming in from another country, they are not alarmed... I had a "watch" put on my account several years ago and it made life difficult when I was in another country trying to use my debit card!!! Definitely call, it doesn't hurt!!!

Archived