Our Honeymoon! on the Navigator

As wonderful as all three Regent ships are, (I like Navigator the best) I still can't imagine honeymooning on one. Honeymooning for me, if I can remember that far back, was all about getting to know one another. It's simply not a very good time for going on 6 hour excursions, making new friends at dinner, or spending time with strangers at one of the several bars. Honeymooning is all about developing closeness, paying fullest attention to the new partner in life. And here you are on the good ship Navigator, give or take a $1,000 a night, and seeing little else then your partner, the butler, and the two art panels at each end of the bed. And those art panels leave an awful lot to be desired after the first night. All this desire for closeness can be had for $65 a night in Bakersfield, Ca., at one of the town's two Motel 6s.

Hey, have a wonderful honeymoon. Jack Morris

Jack,

Let me offer a different perspective. A Regent (or SS based on my experience) cruise in the Caribbean might make a really nice honeymoon; and, I agree with your honeymoon goals. Here's why I think that's true. In OP's case they're getting out of UK's Fall weather for (hopefully) the sunny and warm tropics; Navigator's small size lends itself to finding spots to be alone and watch the ocean go by as you talk; while you can dine with others, you can also enjoy dinner for two; many of the ports on OP's intinerary lend themselves to some "hand in hand" strolls through the cities or along the beach; and, while some excursions can be "30 people on a cigar boat" sort of thing, I've always found snorkelling or kayaking a mangrove swamp (even in a group) to be a very intimate experience. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic but as Popeye says,"I yam what I yam!":rolleyes:

Jack,

Let me offer a different perspective. A Regent (or SS based on my experience) cruise in the Caribbean might make a really nice honeymoon; and, I agree with your honeymoon goals. Here's why I think that's true. In OP's case they're getting out of UK's Fall weather for (hopefully) the sunny and warm tropics; Navigator's small size lends itself to finding spots to be alone and watch the ocean go by as you talk; while you can dine with others, you can also enjoy dinner for two; many of the ports on OP's intinerary lend themselves to some "hand in hand" strolls through the cities or along the beach; and, while some excursions can be "30 people on a cigar boat" sort of thing, I've always found snorkelling or kayaking a mangrove swamp (even in a group) to be a very intimate experience. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic but as Popeye says,"I yam what I yam!":rolleyes:

I looked at your public profile, gdlamberth, and didn't see the description 'hopeless romantic' mentioned. But your writing above is all about being romantic and I like that. When you're in love and deeply mesmerized as one often is during a honeymoon, you really don't need the trappings of SS luxury to make it wonderful. As for escaping the UK Fall weather you mentioned, I have a grandson getting married this very evening and where is he going for a honeymoon? Not on an SS vessel and on the Caribbean but to London and that general area. No one seems to be satisfied with celebrating the union anywhere close to home for that special very short period of time called the honeymoon. I, too, think of snorkelling and kayaking as great ways for honeymooners to enjoy one another and walking cobble stone streets in small villages can be memorable.

You have me thinking about some of my recent cruises again. Maybe its time to call the TA and order up a pair of tickets to someplace exotic. Jack Morris

Archived