What Ginger Ale on board

rwams

I am a real ginger beer fan (Australian Bundaberg) and whatever HAL has as "ginger ale" I recall was not even worth drinking. Schweppes does make a good ginger beer, but don't think it is available to be shipped from Seattle or where ever these packets are sent from. I have tried to get them to stock ginger beer instead of their palid ginger ale but no luck.`

Best to see if you can buy your own favorite brand at your departure port and bring it on board, or take those few extra pounds of air baggage allowance and pack some along which means you will have some extra air pounds at the end of the trip for souvenirs. Saw a ginger ale showdown once on a food blog and Vernors seemed to take top spot.

Seagram's is also a Coca-Cola product...and it starts with an "S," so I will have to Google it to "visualize" the label. Seagram's is just as likely.

...edited to add...

The Seagram's label is similar to Schweppe's, so that may be why I was "seeing" it in my mind.

I am a real ginger beer fan (Australian Bundaberg) and whatever HAL has as "ginger ale" I recall was not even worth drinking. Schweppes does make a good ginger beer, but don't think it is available to be shipped from Seattle or where ever these packets are sent from. I have tried to get them to stock ginger beer instead of their palid ginger ale but no luck.`

Best to see if you can buy your own favorite brand at your departure port and bring it on board, or take those few extra pounds of air baggage allowance and pack some along which means you will have some extra air pounds at the end of the trip for souvenirs. Saw a ginger ale showdown once on a food blog and Vernors seemed to take top spot.

I like ginger beer, too, but not for a queasy stomach. I tried it once for that and instead of curing me, it nearly pushed me in the other direction, if you get what I mean. :eek:

Just read the instructions for homemade ginger beer: take along some baking yeast and a large plastic soda bottle. Buy and grate some fresh ginger at a local market, pop in some sugar from the little bags to make a cup that you get at the Lido and voila, your own ginger beer in a few days. Refrigerate carefully, of course! :eek:

Just read the instructions for homemade ginger beer: take along some baking yeast and a large plastic soda bottle. Buy and grate some fresh ginger at a local market, pop in some sugar from the little bags to make a cup that you get at the Lido and voila, your own ginger beer in a few days. Refrigerate carefully, of course! :eek:

And if it blows up in the cabin, you better give your steward a VERY generous tip!!!!!!!!! :D

Loved Vernors when I lived in Ontario, Canada. Never seen the stuff since I left. :)

Loved Vernors when I lived in Ontario, Canada. Never seen the stuff since I left. :)

Another vote for Vernors (I'm originally from Michigan). I had really missed it here in Texas but a friend found it in our Smith's supermarket - so now I can get my "good" ginger ale fix once in a while.

Another vote for Vernors (I'm originally from Michigan). I had really missed it here in Texas but a friend found it in our Smith's supermarket - so now I can get my "good" ginger ale fix once in a while.

I understand that they had to change the formula for Vernors for some legal reason. NOw it does not taste the same.

From an old Vernors lover......

DaveOKC - ex-Detroit

I understand that they had to change the formula for Vernors for some legal reason. NOw it does not taste the same.

From an old Vernors lover......

DaveOKC - ex-Detroit

Was this one also changed from cane sugar to high-fructose corn syrup?

Here is something I found on the net about aging Vernors in barrels in the past but maybe no longer, and yes they also use HFC:

Essential to the process of the original Vernors was the four years of aging in oak barrels, just as their company literature states. However, back in 1996, all claims of oak barrel aging were dropped from the cans. These days, when you purchase the soda, the Diet version calims "barrel aged for three years," while the regular version simply says "Barrel Aged Bold Taste," with no mention of a time period. Neither specifies that they use oak barrels. Does this change in packaging represent a change in the process of how the soda is made?

Curious, I called up the company to find out. Apparently, they are about as in the dark as I am, or at least are unwilling to share the information. When I asked about the length of time that the soda is aged, I was placed on hold (for what seemed like at least four years) before finally getting a, "I'm afraid I don't know the answer."

When I elaborated by saying, "well, your website says that originally it was aged for four years in oak barrels. Can you tell me if that's still the case?"

To which she responded, "Oh, I was just searching on our website for that information, where did you find it?"

"Uh, it was right there in the first paragraph on your Vernors product information page." Glad I could be of assistance, I thought to myself.

"Oh yeah, I see it there. Well there's your answer!"

"Well, my question was whether that's still how it's done, since the page only says that's how it was done in 1862."

"Well my guess would be yes."

I'm not the first guy the cops would call in when they want to know if a suspect is fibbing, but my guess is that the nice lady on the phone didn't really know the answer.

Roger Grace met with the same difficulty back in 2005.

Why would they no longer claim that they're aging the stuff for four years if, in fact, they are? Why would they say three years on the diet sodas but no length specified for the regular? My guess is that the regular Vernors is no longer aged as it once was, which effectively means that it is no longer the same soda. Having never tasted it before 1996, I can't comment on how it compares, but according to many old timers, it doesn't even taste like the same soda. Grace calls it "an emaciated version of a product that once was, as its slogan went, 'deliciously different'"

That said, if the product they produce today is the emaciated version, the original must have been a real stunner, because—at least to this soda lover's taste buds—the stuff is still crazy delicious. Delicious enough that I sorely wish it were readily available in my market. Until it is, however, I'll have to be content with chugging cases of it during my annual Michigan hunting trip.

We have Vernor's in Nashville so you can get it here if passing through I like it too, but only if drinking alone. I prefer Canada dry for mixing. It has a more pronounced flavor which many people here love.

Archived