Seattle Restaurant- We Do Not Like Seafood

Yes, I know Seattle is a fishy kind of city with an abundance of great seafood restaurants. One of the few things DH and I have in common is a dislike for seafood/fish. Sorry, I know lots of peeps love, love it!

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants for us? Local good stuff?

We like steaks, Italian, great pub food, fun stuff....not foodies.

We will have 2 1/2 days pre-cruise and would love some suggestions!

Opinions on these, please, also:

Beth's Cafe - giant omelets

Top Pot Donuts

The Melting Pot - we missed the craze and would like to try it

Benihana - might be a fun thing pre-cruise

The Whisky Bar

Beecham's Mac n Cheese @ Pike Place Market

Top Pot is to kill for. If you are staying downtown, go to the Icon Grill. Their fried mac and cheese is superlative, as is the rest of their menu.

Http:/www.icongrilll.net

yes gardyloo got it right, seattle used to be a blue collar town of timber men, fishermen, and shipbuilders who slowly gave way to the airplane builders who grew important during and after ww ii, but it was really microsoft and mccaw (now at&t) cellular that helped launch seattle into the high tech, white collar world and all that comes with it.

I miss the bon marché too :)

thank you so much, scottca, i appreciate knowing some of the history of seattle. I might have to find a guide or book of some sort now, as i am finding some interest in this history stuff! Very cool to know something about where we will be for a few days!

top pot is to kill for. If you are staying downtown, go to the icon grill. Their fried mac and cheese is superlative, as is the rest of their menu.

Http:/www.icongrilll.net

yum! Dh really likes his mac n cheese so we will probably hit the icon grill, their menu looks soooo good! Thanks for sharing you experience!

thank you so much, scottca, i appreciate knowing some of the history of seattle. I might have to find a guide or book of some sort now, as i am finding some interest in this history stuff! Very cool to know something about where we will be for a few days!

If you are there for a few days look into the Seattle Underground tour that leaves Pioneer Square. It is absolutely fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

And are you old enough to remember a cheesy TV show called "Here Come The Brides", starring Bobby Sherman? It was based on the true story of the Mercer Girls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Girls

If you are there for a few days look into the Seattle Underground tour that leaves Pioneer Square. It is absolutely fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

And are you old enough to remember a cheesy TV show called "Here Come The Brides", starring Bobby Sherman? It was based on the true story of the Mercer Girls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Girls

And Yesler Way, the street that terminates at Pioneer Square, was the original "Skid Row" (actually, Skid Road) referring to the practice of skidding the logs from the tops of the hills down to Yesler's lumber mill at the bottom. Itinerant and homeless job-seekers convened around the area.

Melting Pot, Benihana...sounds like you like your food to come with a show. Ever tried Korean food? They do this Korean barbecue thing where you have a little gas grill in the middle of your table, and they bring you one or a few kinds of meats, plus veggies and rice and other accompaniments, and you grill your own dinner. Some of the meat options are fishy, or more adventurous choices (beef intestine, anyone?), but there are plenty of more recognizable options, too. There's a place near Seattle Center called Shila that does this kind of food, plus other Korean and Japanese dishes. Might be worth a try.

Seattle has a lot of interesting kinds of Asian food. Vietnamese pho (noodle soup) and banh mi (submarine sandwiches) are cheap, and popular--and you can find them all over. Seattle has developed something we call teriyaki that doesn't so much resemble traditional Japanese teriyaki, but it's also cheap and good--and there's a teriyaki shop in just about every block. Also in every block is a Thai restaurant (no, really--people have suggested that it's a zoning law here or something, that no block can be without one), and a lot of them are REALLY good. Thai food can be hot, but it doesn't have to be--you can usually specify how many stars (go for 1 or 2 unless you like it spicy). There's also a variety of different Chinese regional cuisine (Szechuan, Hunan, Mandarin, Hakka, others), and then there's dim sum--small bites of savory and sweet dishes, usually served for breakfast or brunch, typically by Chinese ladies who bring them around on carts and let you pick out what you want. You have to be a little adventurous--it's not always obvious what you're getting, and the server's English often isn't much better than my Chinese, so they can't tell you--but a dim sum brunch is almost always fun, and very tasty

If any of those sound good, let us know and the locals here can probably suggest our favorite places.

We are staying at the Seattle Sheraton downtown for one night in July before our cruise. Can you recommend a Vietnamese or Thai restaurant within walking distance....thanks.

We are staying at the Seattle Sheraton downtown for one night in July before our cruise. Can you recommend a Vietnamese or Thai restaurant within walking distance....thanks.

I'm less familiar with downtown restaurants, but I'll give it a shot. I don't know of anything within walking distance of your hotel, but there's plenty within a short transit or cab ride.

Tup Tim Thai on West Mercer in lower Queen Anne is good. It wouldn't be a bad walk from Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, Ride the Ducks, Pacific Science Center), if you're going there. Racha Thai on Mercer is another place in the same area--haven't eaten at that one, but the same family operates a couple of other Racha's, and they are among my favorites. Another place I like in that neighborhood is Bahn Thai--it's one of my regular places when I'm going to an event at Seattle Center, because it's an easy walk.

I haven't been there, but I hear great things about Thai Curry Simple. There's one in the International District (an easy bus or light rail ride from your hotel), and one in South Lake Union (you could take the South Lake Union Streetcar from near Westlake Center, a couple of blocks from the Sheraton). The South Lake Union location does weekday lunches only--the International District one has longer hours.

For Vietnamese, the International District is probably your best bet. I haven't been to any Vietnamese restaurants there (unless you count Crawfish King--Texas-style Vietnamese/Cajun seafood!), but Green Leaf Vietnamese gets great reviews, as does Tamarind Tree. For something a little more upscale there's Monsoon on Capitol Hill. You would need to take a cab there, but it wouldn't be a very expensive trip.

Enjoy!

Thai Ginger in Pacific Place (one block from the Sheraton) is actually quite good. There's a decent collection of restaurants on the top level, adjacent to the multi-screen movie complex, including a decent Mexican restaurant, a branch of Johnny Rocket's (burgers), a brewpub, and a couple of other places.

For Vietnamese, it's hard to beat Long Provincial at Second and Stewart (around 4 blocks from the hotel). Long is a branch of the Tamarind Tree, one of the best Vietnamese places in town, and it holds its own. Quite sleek and sophisticated.

Or, just a block from the Sheraton up the hill (Pike St.) is Bambuza Vietnamese Bistro, where we've eaten only once and thought it was okay, not great. More a drinks place I think.

Thank you to all the Seattle experts. Your help has been so wonderful.

You all are what makes Cruise Critic so Awesome!

I reserved a brunch at the Space Needle. You really can't beat it as the viewing deck is free if you eat there, so the $19 admission basically pays for almost half your meal at brunch. We are looking forward to this opportunity! I am sure it will be a memorable and fabulous meal! It is hard to pass up the opportunity to dine there, especially since this year is the 50th anniversary of it and the 1962 World's Fair. I, gulp, was born in 1962, so it will be special to me!

Have any of you heard of The Whisky Bar? What can you tell me about it?

We are very serious Jack Daniel's fans and enjoy nice whisky's. We actually have a rec building with JD barrel table, chairs and bar. We've been to Lynchberg twice! Freaks, huh!

I am so excited to get Eithiopian food in Seattle, going to Habesha for a "feast" :)

The few Eithiopian restaurants we had in South Florida closed

JMO>>> Melting Pot and Benihanas are chain restaurants, pretty good but you can get them lots of places ...I want different stuff

I am also going to a piano bar, dueling pianos...they have sort of American/bar food menu

You can get a great cert for them at restaurant.com

$25 off $35 cert for $10...but google "restaurant.com coupon codes" and you can get that cert for $2 LOL

so for $12 you will have 35 worth of food

It is called "Keyes on Main"...

I like the idea of dueling pianos and it is getting really great reviews

Have fun

I am so excited to get Eithiopian food in Seattle, going to Habesha for a "feast" :)

The few Eithiopian restaurants we had in South Florida closed

JMO>>> Melting Pot and Benihanas are chain restaurants, pretty good but you can get them lots of places ...I want different stuff

I am also going to a piano bar, dueling pianos...they have sort of American/bar food menu

You can get a great cert for them at restaurant.com

$25 off $35 cert for $10...but google "restaurant.com coupon codes" and you can get that cert for $2 LOL

so for $12 you will have 35 worth of food

It is called "Keyes on Main"...

I like the idea of dueling pianos and it is getting really great reviews

Have fun

Hi, Esty.

I have seen your posts around the threads and have noticed you are planning a Alaska cruise for a few folks!

Good luck.

Sort of like herding cats, I'd imagine! LOL.

I will look up the Dueling Piano place, that might be a fun experience, also.

Thanks for the idea!

Yeah, I know Benihana and The Melting Pot are chains,

and we do have them 40 miles from home, we have just never tried either.

I think Benihana is out at this point.

Still on the fence with The Melting Pot, though.

There are so many choices in Seattle,

and the fine folks on this thread have given some really great advise on many to try out!

Decisions, decisions! :D

Enjoy your cruise, it sounds like you and the ladies will be taking

Seattle and the Ship by storm! LOL

Thanks....

just a thought for Benihana.....I don't know when your birthday is, or family birthdays...but they have one of the best freebies ever

Go to Benihana dot com and sign up for "chef's table"....get occaisonal emails/offers

the week of your Birthday however they send you a $30 gift cert...with few restrictions

can use Sunday to Thurs , lunch or dinner...can use your $30 for a whole month...it is NOT one of these fake Birthday offers, that require you to eat ONLY on your Birthday....or to bring 2,3,4 people with you haha

so...sign up....and enjoy the Bene 40 miles away...that is not too far to drive with a $30 gift cert <grin>

the piano bar >>>>

http://keysonmain.com/seattle/

Enjoy

Thanks....

just a thought for Benihana.....I don't know when your birthday is, or family birthdays...but they have one of the best freebies ever

Go to Benihana dot com and sign up for "chef's table"....get occaisonal emails/offers

the week of your Birthday however they send you a $30 gift cert...with few restrictions

can use Sunday to Thurs , lunch or dinner...can use your $30 for a whole month...it is NOT one of these fake Birthday offers, that require you to eat ONLY on your Birthday....or to bring 2,3,4 people with you haha

so...sign up....and enjoy the Bene 40 miles away...that is not too far to drive with a $30 gift cert <grin>

the piano bar >>>>

http://keysonmain.com/seattle/

Enjoy

Good tip for Benihana!

I checked the schedule for Keys on Main and unfortunately for us they have karaoke the 3 nights we are there, oh well, we have so many choices anyhow!

Ask the front desk for the closest good Teriyaki place...they are usually street corner places or located in strip malls...you can get it as take-out...sliced chicken breast, grilled with Seattle style Teriyaki sauce over a bed of steamed rice...and extra sauce poured over the whole thing...I used to live there and would get once or twice a month...can't find the same thing anywhere back east now...I miss it !

And it's inexpensive too !

Maybe I should get the recipe and open up my own place here in Montreal... :D

Ask the front desk for the closest good Teriyaki place...they are usually street corner places or located in strip malls...you can get it as take-out...sliced chicken breast, grilled with Seattle style Teriyaki sauce over a bed of steamed rice...and extra sauce poured over the whole thing...I used to live there and would get once or twice a month...can't find the same thing anywhere back east now...I miss it !

Seattle teriyaki has become a real local "thing." A Japanese food purist might not appreciate (or even recognize!) what they call teriyaki in most Seattle teriyaki joints, but we love it!

A City's Specialty, Japanese in Name Only--New York Times

How Teriyaki Became Seattle's Own Fast-Food Phenomenon--Seattle Weekly

It has been fun to read all the posts on this thread. There are some great restaurant suggestions. I'm a Seattle Native and that "born in Seattle" goes all the way back to the great-grandparents. Hip and fun as the city now is - the past 150 + years of history make a difference in understanding Seattle. We were built on logging, fishing and the Alaska Gold Rush. Later came Boeing and we were essentially a "company town." The current times of Microsoft, Starbucks and high tech have made us less provincial and more cosmopolitan. What doesn't change is the fact that Seattle's location on Puget Sound with views of the Olympic Mountains to the west and Mount Rainier to the southeast really is very special. Whatever restaurant recommendation you choose, just try to enjoy the views and ambiance of our city.

Sounds like you'd have the market in Montreal!

Seattle teriyaki has become a real local "thing." A Japanese food purist might not appreciate (or even recognize!) what they call teriyaki in most Seattle teriyaki joints, but we love it!

A City's Specialty, Japanese in Name Only--New York Times

How Teriyaki Became Seattle's Own Fast-Food Phenomenon--Seattle Weekly

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this info!

It has been fun to read all the posts on this thread. There are some great restaurant suggestions. I'm a Seattle Native and that "born in Seattle" goes all the way back to the great-grandparents. Hip and fun as the city now is - the past 150 + years of history make a difference in understanding Seattle. We were built on logging, fishing and the Alaska Gold Rush. Later came Boeing and we were essentially a "company town." The current times of Microsoft, Starbucks and high tech have made us less provincial and more cosmopolitan. What doesn't change is the fact that Seattle's location on Puget Sound with views of the Olympic Mountains to the west and Mount Rainier to the southeast really is very special. Whatever restaurant recommendation you choose, just try to enjoy the views and ambiance of our city.

Thank you for posting, PNW Traveler.

We love viewing scenery and are looking forward to all that beauty Seattle has I store for us!

Archived