African American ladies

I usually wear braids on a cruise. I recently had microbraids installed in my shoulder-length relaxed hair, but they made my hair break. I think I'm going tlo go with pencil braids this time. They worked great on my last cruise with no breakage.

I'm considering a sew in, but I'm concerned about the leave-out hair. How do you ladies manage your leave out hair after it gets wet?

PERM! LOL....I don't wear a sew in but my Daughter does and she leaves hair out and you can't even tell it's a sew in, when her hair gets wet she dries it and flat iron it takes her about ten minutes and she looks like she just stepped out of the salon....i'm seriously thinking about getting one before my cruise to see if i like it.

I usually wear braids on a cruise. I recently had microbraids installed in my shoulder-length relaxed hair, but they made my hair break. I think I'm going tlo go with pencil braids this time. They worked great on my last cruise with no breakage.

I'm considering a sew in, but I'm concerned about the leave-out hair. How do you ladies manage your leave out hair after it gets wet?

i have been thinking about the same thing. i wear a sew in now but i plan to get in the water on my dec cruise and i dont want to do hair.

i have not heard of the pencil braids. im going to check that out.... thanks for the idea...

On my last 3 cruises I wore my own hair. Before that I would get braids or the hair pinned pony but couldnt get hair wet with that. Just go for what feels comfy to you. I also bought a pony with me. I ended up pulling my hair back after Elegant night. Still dont know what Im going to do next year.

For my September cruise I am thinking of going with braids, but not micros. I'm thinking of small to medium sized box braids with wavy hair. My hair is permed and is a little past my shoulders. I just want to be carefree.

My hair is cute short (Halle or Anita Baker cut) and permed. I wear my hair like a normally wear it when I am at home. I usually get a fresh perm before I cruise and make sure to take my curling iron with me just in case I need to recurl my hair. I have smaller rollers, so I roll my hair at night. Port days are visor days so I don't mess my hair up. I don't swim so my hair does fine during the cruise. :D

I'm not African American, but hope it's ok that I contribute? My hair is extremely highly textured (Dad was Native American Indian). I have to use heavy products in my hair and usually put braids in at night to control it. Ponytail during the day. All the humidity and I'm a huge, frizzy fro. I braided and did twists on my nieces and had several people comment that they wish there was someone who could do that in the salon. I should have set up a chair and a tip jar on the lido deck!

I'm not African American, but hope it's ok that I contribute? My hair is extremely highly textured (Dad was Native American Indian). I have to use heavy products in my hair and usually put braids in at night to control it. Ponytail during the day. All the humidity and I'm a huge, frizzy fro. I braided and did twists on my nieces and had several people comment that they wish there was someone who could do that in the salon. I should have set up a chair and a tip jar on the lido deck!

Of course its okay! :D

Braids are always so easy to maintain. Makes it a great option for vacation. LOL @ the chair on the Lido Deck and the tip jar. Judging by the amount of braids I see on board after a port stop or two, I'm sure you would make a killing ;)

Sisters, I am reading this post out of and smiling because some reading out of curiousity are probably wondering, "How do you SEW hair in?" LOL.

I remember trying to help my husband understand that the hair that he sees may not be the hair that was grown. LOL He's in his 70s and I will be 70 next week, so the new options women have today are totally new to him.

I have short hair that curls more when it is exposed to moisture shall we say? I gave up relaxers several years ago when I started doing water aerobics for my knees. I'd rather be relaxed, but the knees are more important than the hair so now it's just, "It is what it is."

Loving your responses and knowing that there is always a community of African American women willing to 'help a sistah out.'

Happy cruising to all of you !

Delta Dear, hair is sewn in when hair is first cornrowed down and then wefts of hair are sewn onto the braids. It is really a great option.

I often joked around with my SIL that I was going to have everyones hair braided before we dock at the first port, LOL! Can you imagine the shock that would be on the islanders faces?

Hi, GAPearl!

I read your Valor review, which was great, and saw your pics. Your braids are beautiful. I have been natural for 13 years, had locs for 10 1/2 years, and doing my own hair is a process. It takes me four hours to do mini twists. On my last cruise I got braids and they were awful because they were actually slipping out. They were only 2 weeks old so I blame the technician. Taking them out took forever. I wanted to know what kind of hair you use and do you get them wet? I had what was supposed to be human hair but they used boiling water to curl it, doesn't sound like human hair to me.

I cruise again in October so I have time to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me.

Melissa

Thanks Melissa! I've been "trying" to go natural by wearing the braids the last few years. My hair is a little TOO natural right now, lol. I did wear my hair down for a few months with a sew in. I'm not at all ready to wear it all out yet. I need to search for a good natural salon, which I haven't put any effort into. The hair you used is what I think is called wet and wavy. I've seen other customers in the shop where I get my hair braided have it done. The specific hair I use is called deep wave. Yes, I use human hair. I wouldn't dare use synthetic. If you go to your beauty supply store and tell them you want deep wave braiding hair, they'll know exactly what you need. The hair is precurled and I literally do nothing to it but wash it. The curls don't fall out after washing or getting wet. I wear it on a daily basis, not just for vacation, can exercise and sit in the sauna with it, and it holds up very well. I'm able to keep them in for 3-4 months. Losing a couple of braids in the first week or two is normal, but only around the edges (only because that hair is so short and there's not much to catch for a braid). Try finding a good African braiding shop. Your hair will be pulled so tight you'll have a headache. No chance of them falling out. Yes, they do take a long time to take out. I have to dedicate at least half a day for it. Also, see if you can find a shop where they'll have 2 people braiding at once. I always have 2 braiders, and I'm done in 4.5-5 hours. Double that time if it was only 1 braider! Hope this helps a little!

Guilty as charged! I've been finding this thread very interesting, but somewhat of a foreign language to me at times.

LOL You would be surprised at how many celebrities (non African Americans) wear hair extensions. We're just a lot more open to talking about it. Here's a video for you and Delta Dear so you can see how to "sew in hair". :)

This is me without my braids and "sewn in " hair. ;)

Untitled.jpg

You can get a sew in with no hair left out. Depending on where you get your hair done, it might cost a little extra, but it's worth it!

Just cut it and wear it natural.

I don't think I'm ready for that yet! :eek: LOL

Another option for having your hair done pre-cruise is check out a local beauty school. When I was teaching, some of my students were awesome braiders! We did regular corn rows, sew-in's, box-braids. We wouldn't do micros because of the time involved. The cost is a fraction of what a regular salon would charge which is good if money is tight. Also, might want to consider a really pretty updo, and plaster it down with some Pump-it-up...wrap with a scarf at night and shouldn't need more than a little touch-up during the day (if you don't get it wet). If anyone is on the Glory in 13 days...look me up...I'll fix your hair! LOL

Ok...all this "hair" talk is making me want to get my hands in someone's head right now!

I wore tree braids last year and had the best of both worlds! I will be repeating this on my upcoming cruise.

HOWEVER,

I sat in the chair at 1 pm and was not done untill 11:00 pm!! it was loong dang time in that chair. Plus i got the wet and wavy so i was looking like diana Ross poof doo!...

I thought about getting the tree braids again and just use a yaky straiight hair. I plan on hitting the water slides so i dont want to be weighted down with hair..but i STILL have to rock my cute doo every single day.

having a bad hair day on a cruise is NOT an option for me :)

Im a Full Bond Weave Women (with a Cap under) when on VACAY.. I my self Normally dont get my hair wet. But I All ways Buy a Swim Cap tooo. Soo. It ALL boils down to what U want to do with ur Vacay. Swim, hang out, look cute, etc.. I dont have to do water So I want to be cute with my Milky Way. loloolol Gets to hot, She goes up in a pony Tail..

GL and have a blast.. Cant wait to read Ur review..

HOWEVER,

I sat in the chair at 1 pm and was not done untill 11:00 pm!! it was loong dang time in that chair. Plus i got the wet and wavy so i was looking like diana Ross poof doo!...

I thought about getting the tree braids again and just use a yaky straiight hair. I plan on hitting the water slides so i dont want to be weighted down with hair..but i STILL have to rock my cute doo every single day.

LMBO, Diana Ross does have some big hair, i would love to get braids but i'm so tender headed they would kick me out the chair after the first braid.

HOWEVER,

I did the same thing on my 1st cruise but after being in the chair from 8am-6pm , I opted for the cornrows for the last 2.

I have never been a weave girl, so i was wondering , if you get a sew-in, you can get it wet and then it will just air dry and don't have to do anything to it so that it will still look good?

Archived