Yuh oh!!!

sarahc78

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120503/NEWS/705039903

Ferry service has been disrupted because of a BIU meeting this morning.

The service will not resume regular operations “until further notice”, according to a Government spokesman.

The Bermuda Industrial Union has called a general meeting for 10.30am.

According to the Government spokesman, the Blue Route will continue on an hour schedule departing Hamilton at 9.30am. Meanwhile the last ferry from Hamilton on the Pink Route leaves at 10am and the Orange Route has been suspended until further notice.

This is no Gouda! Hope they straighten this out stat!!!

The amazing part of this is that it is about the union's dispute with KFC...not a dispute having anything to do with public transit. :rolleyes:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120503/NEWS11/705029913

I saw that also. Good lord!

Sucks for the people on the Summit right now. They are pulling into Bermuda right now to this mess! I hope it doesnt screw up any of their plans.

Trust me, most of us on the island are really irritated with how our Union leader operates and don't support his wildcat actions, at all. Sad part is, he's on the Tourism Board and really should know better than to make all Union members attend meetings while three cruise ships are in port...:rolleyes:

Saving grace today may be that it was raining this morning (yay!) so people may not have traveled too far from their ships. Here's hoping...

Trust me, most of us on the island are really irritated with how our Union leader operates and don't support his wildcat actions, at all. Sad part is, he's on the Tourism Board and really should know better than to make all Union members attend meetings while three cruise ships are in port...:rolleyes:

Saving grace today may be that it was raining this morning (yay!) so people may not have traveled too far from their ships. Here's hoping...

Is this the same issue that was screwing up the busses last summer? :mad: Any idea how long the ferry schedules will be altered? I was really hoping after all the disruptions last year that this year would be better.

You have such a good ferry / bus system when the unions aren't playing games with everyone's lives. It's certainly not going to make anyone want to return to your beautiful country if this continues thru this summer. This will be my third visit but if we can't depend on the transportation, it will take a long time to return. (I love Bermuda too much not to ever return.)

seems that it is already cleared up

Correct, per the government:

Marine and Ports – Ferry Service:

With the cooperation of crews, we were able to maintain a reduced Dockyard to Hamilton service and a Dockyard to St. Georges service, however the St. Georges service was then impacted by a mechanical problem.

We expect a cancellation of the 3:30pm Hamilton to Dockyard service because of this mechanical issue and the lack of repair staff earlier to attempt to effect timely engine repairs. The tender Bermudian will continue to operate on overtime this evening between Hamilton and Dockyard to make up for this shortfall while supplementing commuter requirements.

There were no shipping movement delays. The Norwegian Gem sailed on time with a tug in attendance and the Celebrity Summit was running behind schedule and arrived at Dockyard approximately 30 minutes late.

Department of Public Transport – Busses:

All staff are back to work and full service was resumed by 1:15pm. A partial service was operated during the meeting with approximately 20 % of scheduled runs operating.

Archived