has anyone driven from ohio to newark

never done the trip myself. according to mapquest it looks like its about a 600 mile drive. so you'd be looking at about 8-10 hours. it seems like a very easy drive though. you would take I-70 east to I-76 East to I-81 north to I-78 East, then its a straight shot to the port.

PLEASE don't take the route mapquest posts. From Dayton, head East on 70 to Columbus. North out of Columbus on 71 to 76 to 80. Straight East on 80 to the NJ Turnpike-I-95. South on 95 to the port.

I own a trucking company and have trucks traveling this route daily. I have driven it myself many, many times. 70/76 through PA is HORRIBLE. It is the Pennsylvania turnpike, crappy road, turns banked the wrong way, VERY few places to stop (service plazas spaced about 80 miles apart) with a crap selection of food, expensive food and gas and you pay turnpike tolls.

A real biggie-IF you break down or need a tire changed, there are VERY limited places to get service and very limited people who can provide service. The repair/tow facilities pay a LARGE premium to have the right to tow/repair on turnpikes almost anyplace. So the charge for the same service on a turnpike rd vs a non turnpike road is about double.

81 is OK but 78 can be a REAL nightmare from the PA line into Newark. The road generally has a lot of construction and a lot of fender bender accidents. You can be delayed for quite a few hours just waiting for them to clean up a minor accident.

I-80 has a truck stop/convenience store or full service place just about every exit across 306 miles of PA. Some really good places to eat. No tolls, you break down-pick the best place at the best price.

It will take you 12-15 hours depending on how many times you stop. You also have a wide choice of places to stay-Parsippany, Secaucus, etc. etc. for the night before your cruise. Then a quick and easy drive to the port in the morning. Leave your hotel about 9:30 and you should be at the port before 11, no matter where you stay.

never done the trip myself. according to mapquest it looks like its about a 600 mile drive. so you'd be looking at about 8-10 hours. it seems like a very easy drive though. you would take I-70 east to I-76 East to I-81 north to I-78 East, then its a straight shot to the port.

We have driven this route 3 times now for cruises out of New York and New Jersey. Never had a problem. All 3 times it took us about 9 hours, that includes stopping to eat/gas etc. Taking I 71 to I76 to I80 might be a nicer route, but you will add 3 hours at least to your trip. We live in Columbus, Oh. I 70 from Washington, Pa to New Stanton can be congested because of construction and the the lanes thru the mountains are windy and appear narrower. We just take our time and again have not had any major problems. I would check the PA transportation reports for freeway construction areas that might have long delays on your chosen route.

We have left late going and so we stayed a night twice. We stayed in the Carlise, Pa area. Off of SR 11.That is the route you get off on to hit I81 North. The turn pike is ok, nothing special. The service exits do have fast food type rest and service stations. You are on it from New Stanton to Carlise.That is a ways. Up to you.

All 3 times it took us about 9 hours, that includes stopping to eat/gas etc. Taking I 71 to I76 to I80 might be a nicer route, but you will add 3 hours at least to your trip. We live in Columbus, Oh. I 70 from Washington, Pa to New Stanton can be congested because of construction and the the lanes thru the mountains are windy and appear narrower. We just take our time and again have not had any major problems. I would check the PA transportation reports for freeway construction areas that might have long delays on your chosen route.

It sure won't take you 3 hours longer. There are VERY few delays on the route I suggested. And the mileage is very, very close to the same, even though it may not seem like it. The Pennsy Pike drops FAR south, then you have to go all the way back North on 81. The difference is less than 28 miles. Our trucks get 5-6 MPG so fuel mileage is a BIG concern, particularly since diesel fuel is over $4.00 per gallon in most of the USA.

We have a lot of time sensitive deliveries. IF it was cheaper or much faster to run over the Pennsy Pike, we would do it, tolls or not. It is NOT cheaper or faster. And who wants to eat Sbarro, Cinnabon or some other warmed over crap at twice the price of Sbarro in NYC.

Try the other route. You will thank me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

To answer Cruzin Susan, yes, the HGI has a package that includes parking. This is what myself and 2 other couples are doing in October. The total cost for the room and 8 days of parking was $231 total. Plus they transport you to/from the port. I'm very happy! This hotel gets very good reviews.

To answer Cruzin Susan, yes, the HGI has a package that includes parking. This is what myself and 2 other couples are doing in October. The total cost for the room and 8 days of parking was $231 total. Plus they transport you to/from the port. I'm very happy! This hotel gets very good reviews.

It is a very nice hotel and the shuttle service is great.

Thanks Laurab23. We are all excited to stay there. I'm glad to hear that. :)

We were really impressed with the shuttle service.We told them what time to pick us up at the port coming back and we got off earlier than expected.Called the hotel and the shuttle got there as son as it could.We are planning a cruise to New England next Sept and thinking of trying Royal Caribbean just so we can stay at the hotel and use the shuttle to Bayonne.And we are platinum on Carnival.Love the hotel and shuttle.

I hope you find the hotel and shuttle as great a value as we did.

Laura

Archived