My Carnival Victory review 4/1-4/8/2012 (Long with lots of pix!)

It was fairly crowded when we got to the beach, but we managed to find a place to spread out our beach mats. Since we weren’t going to be there for more than an hour or so, I didn’t want to spend the money to rent a couple of beach chairs.

Nearby was the stand from which we had ordered conch fritters in the past. Even though the cost of food and drink was pretty expensive, we loved them so much the last time, we ended up getting another order this time, as well as a few sodas. Total cost for five fritters and three sodas: almost $20.

And you can tell you are definitely on island time. It took about 10 minutes after my DH had asked, to even get menus, and about another half hour after that to get our order. There was been some improvement since last time, though. This time, the waitress came out to us on the beach, so DH didn’t have to stand in line inside the food hut and waste his beach time.

While we didn’t get a chance to see Wilbur, the resident gigantic pig, the kids thoroughly enjoyed their beach break. Tim more or less plopped down on the sand and proceeded to dig the entire time and seemed completely satisfied.

auntkaygreytour75_edited-1.jpg

auntkaygreytour68_edited-1.jpg

stkitts268_edited-1.jpg

Meanwhile, Mandy managed to fill a two-gallon Ziploc bag with shells and pieces of coral, and a quart baggie with sand. She collected some wonderful specimens, but boy, did we have a hard time when packing on our last night, when we had to figure out how we were going to get it all home in the luggage!

auntkaygreytour77_edited-1.jpg

auntkaygreytour70_edited-1.jpg

auntkaygreytour64_edited-1.jpg

If you take this tour, just remember to change out of your wet clothes before getting back into the van, or have a dry towel ready to put down on your seat. Sackville was very protective of the seats in his van, with good reason.

Can you view the fort on St. Kitts from just outside the vehicle in the parking area? My dad walks with a cane, I already know he won't be able to climb the steps up to the fort but was hoping there is something at the vehicle level he can tour or see.

If you look at post #221, the 5th photo down - where all the vans are parked - you can see much of what's available at the ground/parking level. He can probably also tour the building/interpretive center where the mini-movie is shown. I don't think there were many, if any, stairs in the way. Hope that helps!

If you look at post #221, the 5th photo down - where all the vans are parked - you can see much of what's available at the ground/parking level. He can probably also tour the building/interpretive center where the mini-movie is shown. I don't think there were many, if any, stairs in the way. Hope that helps!

I saw the picture after I posted! That would be nice, I see there is a beautiful view even from the parking area, and glad he will at least get to visit the center and see the mini-movie.

I saw the picture after I posted! That would be nice, I see there is a beautiful view even from the parking area, and glad he will at least get to visit the center and see the mini-movie.

Glad the photo helped! There should be enough for him to look at and peer into!

Regarding San Juan, I'm paying at least $200 less per person to take this cruise than if I took an Eastern or Western cruise from Florida. That's how I justify the added expense of flying to San Juan. My airfare is only about $100 more per person than if I flew into any of the Florida cities. People complain about the airfare, but in comparison, the Victory is much cheaper than any of the other Florida cruises, plus you get to see some awesome and exciting new ports (Barbados, St. Luca, and St. Kitts are not on EVERY itinerary, so any chance you get to go there is ideal). Also, I would do a pre-cruise in San Juan just as I would do in Florida, no matter what. What is ideal is San Juan could spend a day at the forts, a day shopping, a day at the beach, a day at the Rainforest. There are so many things to see and do there!!

There really are. The island isn't that big, so we're renting a car and staying in the rainforest on the Naguabo side. Even with the car rental, the shack we love is about half of the price of staying in San Juan. We'll go back to the fort on the way in or out, and the caves the other, and then lay in hammocks on for a couple of days.

Can you view the fort on St. Kitts from just outside the vehicle in the parking area? My dad walks with a cane, I already know he won't be able to climb the steps up to the fort but was hoping there is something at the vehicle level he can tour or see.

Someone else did a really long photo review, and toured with Royston- he apparently just drove them up.

Someone else did a really long photo review, and toured with Royston- he apparently just drove them up.

I know, I think I read that review. The reason I didn't go with Royston is because he bump out the windows of his van. My elderly parents NEED air-conditioning.

Great that you travel with your children to see different places. Traveling is a great education. Your children are more likely to vacation and travel with their own families later in life. Good job Mom and Dad. Love the review, thank you.

Really enjoying your Review!!!!

Thanks! Plenty more to come!

Great that you travel with your children to see different places. Traveling is a great education. Your children are more likely to vacation and travel with their own families later in life. Good job Mom and Dad. Love the review, thank you.

Thanks! Yeah, travel seems to be our thing. We started off frugally with camping - only not ones to do the normal route, we headed to Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, etc.) DS dipped his toes in the water off PEI when just 13 months old. Brought back memories of when I went camping with my parents.

As for cruising, it took us awhile to get into it, but it just offers so many more opportunities in foreign travel!! The kids can now say they've been to 8 countries (9 for DD - she went to Germany with school), three Atlantic provinces and 1 US territory. And most of those were on cruises.

Now it might be time to start on exploring our own country more - Yellowstone has been on my bucket list for some time! :p

Ok, let's see if I can finish up with St. Kitts.

Once again, we got back in town with about 45 minutes left before we had to board the ship. While I didn’t think Sackville was quite up to his brother’s level as a tour guide, he had done a good job, so we tipped him generously. Next it was time to shop, and true to form, DS and DH abandoned us almost immediately to head back to the ship. In my opinion, St. Kitts has one of the best port shopping areas, with quite a variety of stores. And while some of the ones in port this day were closed, probably due to it being Good Friday, we did our best to spur their economy, getting more souvenirs from here than any other island.

Once again, there was a line to get back onboard the ship, but it moved quickly. And I don’t think the screeners were feeling very diligent by this time in the cruise. In both this port and the last one, we managed to get almost full bottles of soda back on board in our backpacks. As long as we didn’t make a deal about it, neither did they. We just slid our backpacks through. Of course, they could have been watching for more of the alcoholic variety, and not cared about ours, but whatever the reason, I was happy.

We watched sailaway, this time from our balcony, then I went in to shower, and DH took yet more pictures.

stkitts281_edited-1.jpg

stkitts285_edited-1.jpg

stkitts284_edited-1.jpg

stkitts287_edited-1.jpg

stkitts289_edited-1.jpg

Tonight was the night for the past guest party as well. I’m all about getting free alcohol, but after a full day of touring, four of us were wiped out, and didn’t feel like going. My aunt, however, had more stamina than all of us put together, and headed over to the Caribbean Lounge. Apparently she really enjoyed herself!

pastguest.jpg

The show tonight, once again back to 7 and 9 pm, was called “More than Magic,” featuring a . . . . magician, naturally. I really didn’t like it the last time I saw it and Tim decided it wasn’t something he wanted to see, so while the rest of our gang went over, I grabbed a plate of sushi, something I hadn’t had much of a chance to enjoy up until now. Then Tim and I checked out the photo area and wandered around people watching until it was time for supper.

mandystkitts177_edited-1.jpg

As always, we never had a hard time finding good things to eat. To start we ordered, among others:

mandystkitts176_edited-1.jpg

Beefsteak tomatoes and buffalo mozerella

stkitts327_edited-1.jpg

Wild mushroom cream soup - actually much better than the picture makes it out to be!

stkitts330_edited-1.jpg

And Oysters Rockefeller - these were brand new for me, and I don't know how they are normally made, but I really enjoyed them.

Tonight was the night for the past guest party as well. I’m all about getting free alcohol, but after a full day of touring, four of us were wiped out, and didn’t feel like going. My aunt, however, had more stamina than all of us put together, and headed over to the Caribbean Lounge. Apparently she really enjoyed herself!

pastguest.jpg

The show tonight, once again back to 7 and 9 pm, was called “More than Magic,” featuring a . . . . magician, naturally. I really didn’t like it the last time I saw it and Tim decided it wasn’t something he wanted to see, so while the rest of our gang went over, I grabbed a plate of sushi, something I hadn’t had much of a chance to enjoy up until now. Then Tim and I checked out the photo area and wandered around people watching until it was time for supper.

mandystkitts177_edited-1.jpg

As always, we never had a hard time finding good things to eat. To start we ordered, among others:

mandystkitts176_edited-1.jpg

Beefsteak tomatoes and buffalo mozerella

stkitts327_edited-1.jpg

Wild mushroom cream soup - actually much better than the picture makes it out to be!

stkitts330_edited-1.jpg

And Oysters Rockefeller - these were brand new for me, and I don't know how they are normally made, but I really enjoyed them.

Thank you for posting such a nice review. What kind of shoes are your daughters? They are super cute and look really comfortable. Thank you

Following those were the main courses.

stkitts331_edited-1.jpg

Shrimp (breaded and deep fried) and fries, for DS

stkitts332_edited-1.jpg

Pumpkin, squash, yam and cheddar cheese pie for me - this was the vegetarian dish, but another CC poster had mentioned how good it was and I just had to try it; I was NOT disappointed!

mandystkitts178_edited-1.jpg

And oven roasted turkey for DD and my aunt

And my husband tried the oven fried chicken tonight. He agreed with me that it was very good. Now that he got me the recipe from the chef onboard, he has requested that I try it at home!

And then it was on to dessert.

stkitts333_edited-1.jpg

Chocolate, raspberry and vanilla cream cake

mandystkitts181_edited-1.jpg

One more view - both kids ended up getting it and it looked absolutely delicious. Apparently, it tasted just as good.

mandystkitts180_edited-1.jpg

And old fashioned apple pie for DH. Anytime he sees it listed on the menu, he just has to get it - especially with ice cream!

Leaving the dining room, the kids again had to say good-night to our favorite hanging fish!

stkitts334_edited-1.jpg

After getting back to our cabin and checking out our latest towel animal,

stkitts336_edited-1.jpg

A turtle tonight!

we spent some time out on the balcony, watching the ship’s wake go by, and gazing at the stars, then headed off for bed once again.

Next up: St. Martin; off on our own to Marigot and Little Divi Bay!

stkitts330_edited-1.jpg

If you ever find yourself in the South, try them they are wonderful!!! Other parts of the country they are good, but more expensive and not as fresh oysters.

There are a few places in New Orleans that make them and they are just to die for!

Did i mention i love oysters ? ;)

Thank you for posting such a nice review. What kind of shoes are your daughters? They are super cute and look really comfortable. Thank you

Ooooh, thanks! I really love all this positive feedback! :D

As for the sandals, DD will be thrilled to hear that! They are Dr. Scholl's and came from, of all places, Walmart. She even tried on pricier ones, like Tevas, and these were the ones she liked the best. She wasn't sure if they would look right, but after seeing how comfortable they felt, she didn't care!

Edit: Actually, I hope those are the shoes you meant! DD was reading over my shoulder right now (she thanks you, too!) and thought that you meant her heels. Switch gears if you meant those - she said they were the most painful things in the world and they came off the moment she was back in her room. But she loved the way they looked. Ahh, the things we do to look good! (she got 'em at Boscov's two years ago, if we're not mistaken; it's a local store here, sorta like JC Penneys.)

If you ever find yourself in the South, try them they are wonderful!!! Other parts of the country they are good, but more expensive and not as fresh oysters.

There are a few places in New Orleans that make them and they are just to die for!

Did i mention i love oysters ? ;)

I am definitely filing this away for future use!! How far South do I really have to go? My sister lives in Raleigh, NC. Would I be able to find them there, do you think?

At any rate, I love oysters as well, and if there is a place that is known for them, I will try and get there . . . sometime in my life! :p

I have been loving your review - FABULOUS! Great pictures and comments.

Gotta ask - do you make a scrapbook for each trip? That would be way too much for me... I make one big book for each year, with just the highlights. :)

I am definitely filing this away for future use!! How far South do I really have to go? My sister lives in Raleigh, NC. Would I be able to find them there, do you think?

At any rate, I love oysters as well, and if there is a place that is known for them, I will try and get there . . . sometime in my life! :p

Well Antoine's in the French Quarter "invented" them in the mid-late 1800's. They are still in buisness today http://www.antoines.com/ .

There are many places around New Orleans that serve them. I enjoyed many last year. New Orleans is a city i have ACTUALLY flown to eat and fly home.

I would think you could get fairly fresh oysters in NC. I know the Gulf coast states are where i have traveled but i would imagine the Carolina's have so good oyster beds too. Maybe someone from the Carolinas can let us know.

Oysters are a food that are SOOOO good, but in my book they have to be fresh. So if you cant see the ocean or smell the ocean from where you are eating them they arent fresh.

Thanks! Plenty more to come!

Thanks! Yeah, travel seems to be our thing. We started off frugally with camping - only not ones to do the normal route, we headed to Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, etc.) DS dipped his toes in the water off PEI when just 13 months old. Brought back memories of when I went camping with my parents.

As for cruising, it took us awhile to get into it, but it just offers so many more opportunities in foreign travel!! The kids can now say they've been to 8 countries (9 for DD - she went to Germany with school), three Atlantic provinces and 1 US territory. And most of those were on cruises.

Now it might be time to start on exploring our own country more - Yellowstone has been on my bucket list for some time! :p

That is so interesting! We started taking our girls on vacation camping. We'd visit my in-laws for Christmas in Florida, then take tent and camp at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys. What luxury! :p One day we went to Key West, saw the RC Majesty of the Seas and were in awe. The following year we cruised her, then last year we went on a full 7 day cruise on the Liberty. DD15 told me that our Liberty cruise was the best vacation ever. Now I have 3 more planned in the next 2 years. LOL

I have been loving your review - FABULOUS! Great pictures and comments.

Gotta ask - do you make a scrapbook for each trip? That would be way too much for me... I make one big book for each year, with just the highlights. :)

Well . . . . . that's been the goal ever since we started taking these cruises. Sigh. But the reality is that I'm just a little behind in my scrapbooking. I have half of both family cruises (the Legend and DH/I on Victory) "in the books", as it may be.

Having said that, I am seriously thinking about doing this cruise on Shutterfly. I've done a few books there already and liked how they came out. Plus, I can scrapbook on the laptop while DH drives the car. :p Digital scrapbooking is looking better and better!

But I will someday finish my paper scrapbooks!!! Like when the kids get out of college?

Well Antoine's in the French Quarter "invented" them in the mid-late 1800's. They are still in buisness today http://www.antoines.com/ .

There are many places around New Orleans that serve them. I enjoyed many last year. New Orleans is a city i have ACTUALLY flown to eat and fly home.

I would think you could get fairly fresh oysters in NC. I know the Gulf coast states are where i have traveled but i would imagine the Carolina's have so good oyster beds too. Maybe someone from the Carolinas can let us know.

Oysters are a food that are SOOOO good, but in my book they have to be fresh. So if you cant see the ocean or smell the ocean from where you are eating them they arent fresh.

Ok, fresh and in New Orleans. Check! And I am keeping that email on file. Thanks so much!! I'm learning something new every day.

Since we have the same aft-wrap and you mentioned gazing at stars on your balcony, can I ask whether there were permanent lights out there or do you have the option of turning lights on or off?

Love the idea of sitting out there at night!

Archived