NCL's Florence and Pisa "on your own" drop off

honeybee100

My husband and I chose to do NCL's Florence and Pisa on your own (I know I've heard it's easy to literally do on your own, but we like the added guide on the bus).

Anyways, does anyone know where the bus drop is in Florence? I've read 4-5 different places for various lines, but haven't seen one for NCL. Thanks!

My husband and I chose to do NCL's Florence and Pisa on your own (I know I've heard it's easy to literally do on your own, but we like the added guide on the bus).

Anyways, does anyone know where the bus drop is in Florence? I've read 4-5 different places for various lines, but haven't seen one for NCL. Thanks!

It is almost impossible to do Florence and Pisa in one day and see everything. If your ship is docking in Livorno you would take the train. If you go on the destination threads and chose Italy and do a search for those destinations you will find all the information you need. Also be aware that if you plan on climbing the Tower of Pisa you might want to think about ordering your tickets ahead of time. The number allowed is limited and you have only about 20 minutes for the climb. We did this last year and did Luca and Pisa, it's quite a long trip even by train to Florence.

It is almost impossible to do Florence and Pisa in one day and see everything. If your ship is docking in Livorno you would take the train. If you go on the destination threads and chose Italy and do a search for those destinations you will find all the information you need. Also be aware that if you plan on climbing the Tower of Pisa you might want to think about ordering your tickets ahead of time. The number allowed is limited and you have only about 20 minutes for the climb. We did this last year and did Luca and Pisa, it's quite a long trip even by train to Florence.

You can also rent a car, as my partner and I did at the suggestion of our concierge. We had a late start that morning and it was too late to get on any last minute excursions. I believe it's about 2 hours to Florence. We went to Lucca instead of Florence, beautiful walled city only about an hour by car, then drove 30 minutes to Pisa, and then 20 or 30 minutes back to the car rental. The car rental is in the passenger terminal in Livorno, although the ship may dock in the industrial part of the port and bus you to a square in Livorno. The passenger terminal is about a 10 minute walk from there. If you take this option, be sure to have Euro coins with you, as there may be a toll or two on the autostrada and you will likely have to feed a parking meter to park on the street in Pisa. We found free parking on the street right inside the wall in Lucca.

Thank you all for the tips, and some day we will; however we have already paid for the ship excursion, and don't intend to cancel, which is why I'm wondering:

where does the NCL bus drop you off upon arrival in Florence? (I'm trying to plan walking routes.

I know there's so much to see, and do realize you can't see it all which is why we will come back. This will just be a taste for us.

Thank you all for the tips, and some day we will; however we have already paid for the ship excursion, and don't intend to cancel, which is why I'm wondering:

where does the NCL bus drop you off upon arrival in Florence? (I'm trying to plan walking routes.

I know there's so much to see, and do realize you can't see it all which is why we will come back. This will just be a taste for us.

I would suggest you ask your questions in either the 'Ports of Call - Europe' threads or the NCL Meet & Greet thread. You will probably get a better answer in either of those.

honeybee100, I understand you booked the NCL ship's excursion that provides transportation and a "guide" to oversee things etc. I haven't done this with NCL but with Celebrity and our drop-off/meeting/regrouping point in Florence was very centralized -- Basillica de Santa Croce and the Piazza Santa Croce. We were close to everything. Given a map to follow.

Can I recommend you use Rome in Limo for a tour? We just got off the Epic yesterday and used them for a Florence/Pisa tour. With 8 people on the tour, it was only 75 Euros per person, which I'm sure is much cheaper than what NCL is offering. Plus, the RIL driver was fantastic and told us the history of the cities/sites along the way and drove us right up to all the important monuments to limit walking long distances. When we got back on the ship, the people who took the NCL tours looked exhausted and said they had to walk a ton and they paid more money than we did! I don't understand why anyone would want to do the NCL tour when the Rome in Limo experience was so superior.

Hi! If I was you I would seriously reconsider your decision to take that ncl excursion...I mean...Pisa and Firenze all in one single day?!I know,that you may think that taking a quick look at those two cities would be better than nothing at all,but I can tell you this:when we docked in St. Petersburg,Russia,we took the Costa excursion to see some Hermitage,and other sights in one day,but we got back on the ship having much more desire to see than before....(We'd be better take a more restricted tour,like the one that takes you to a beautiful palace outside St.Petersburg)...The best bet would probably be to take the train to Pisa and dedicate the whole day to see that wonderful city...there are less things to see and they are all located in one square,and you won't have to hurry all day! Come back in Italy another time and save at least a week for Firenze,it's really worth it...have a nice cruise,anyway!

Thanks all for your responses. I've had my question answered, which I appreciate.

AttilatheFun, yes, I've heard great things about RIL and would certainly consider them; however DH is quite bent on sticking with NCLs tours.

itmom, also thank you for your suggestion. I do realize there is a lot to see in both places. As a history teacher, I understand the importance of Florence and know the time it truly deserves. Some day, when I have the time to spend a week in Tuscany, Florence and Pisa will both get more time than I'm afforded on this trip. Thank you for the well wishes.

• 4 years later...

Hello honeybee100,

I know this is an old thread but I'm also looking for the same information. Where does the NCL excursion drop you off in Florence?

Also, can you give any comments on the excursion? I know it was 4 years ago but was it rushed? Were you content with the "on your own" part of the excursion?

Edited by cruising777