want to snorkel

needabreakcanada

We didn't see much in the water at 7-Mile Beach...very sandy and not much to attract fish. But, yes...you can if you want! The water is so clear, you really don't even need to put your face in the water!!!

If you haven't snorkeled before, a snorkeling excursion is probably the best bet....they give you instruction and gear....

Edited by cb at sea

The best near port snorkeling is actually located in Hogs Sty Harbour, where the ships anchor. Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto, Cheeseburger Reef and the wrecks of the Cali and Gamma are all located here. The sites are easily reachable from shore, but not off a beach. Many establishments (restaurants, dive shops, etc...) ringing these areas have are ladders for snorkelers and divers to use. Some Seven Mile Beach sections do have pedestrian snorkeling: Governor's Reef off Governor's Beach (near the Westin) has a dead reef, but lots of fish; Cemetery Beach is another popular spot with a slightly healthier reef structure. On the other side of George Town, Smith Cove Bacadere beach has some Elkhorn coral and plenty of fish close to shore as well.

Check out Eden Rock. Do you have your own mask? Or is this really going to be a first time, never done type of thing? The cruise ships usually sell the snorkel tubes on the ship. It's nice to know that the only germs on that are yours:o. I would suggest buying one, and if it's your very first time snorkeling, do it as an excursion. If you are not that strong a swimmer, do a from shore excursion. We are doing Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. To enter the area is free, but you can pay for a locker, and I will pay for renting a vest. (it is over my head) and I'm a woose!. Also do you wear glasses? While the mask and the water will magnify if you are seriously sight impaired you can have a mask made with your prescription. My friend and I chased what we thought was a huge blowfish around for a whle only to find out he was about an inch big, and the water we were in was about two feet deep.:o:rolleyes:

Nope never snorkeled before. Am considering buying my own mask and snorkel from home.

I will be looking into the off shore snorkel. Hubby said he will give it a go as well.

Hoping to be able to try the snorkel at local pool to get used to it. Have also read to try to get "dry" snorkel.

Once you try snorkeling you will be hooked....it is awsome! Depending on your ports of call there is really great snorkeling from sandy beaches in Roatan, some good spots in Cozumel & Belize as well. Also , yes get a good quality mask with a totally dry snorkel...dont try to cheap out because the quality of your equipment will make some diffrence in comfort and why compromise such an awsome experience......have fun!

• 1 month later...
The best near port snorkeling is actually located in Hogs Sty Harbour, where the ships anchor. Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto, Cheeseburger Reef and the wrecks of the Cali and Gamma are all located here. The sites are easily reachable from shore, but not off a beach. Many establishments (restaurants, dive shops, etc...) ringing these areas have are ladders for snorkelers and divers to use. Some Seven Mile Beach sections do have pedestrian snorkeling: Governor's Reef off Governor's Beach (near the Westin) has a dead reef, but lots of fish; Cemetery Beach is another popular spot with a slightly healthier reef structure. On the other side of George Town, Smith Cove Bacadere beach has some Elkhorn coral and plenty of fish close to shore as well.

I know it sounds crazy but Cheesburger reef is some of the best snorkeling ever. Once you get out past the rocks the fish and fans are amazing. We've been doing it since 1971 and it's a fabulous spot.

Are you allowed to use these ladders to enter the water in this area? We are a fam. of four and we have our own gear. We love to snorkel and are always open fora new adventure.Tks

Are you allowed to use these ladders to enter the water in this area? We are a fam. of four and we have our own gear. We love to snorkel and are always open fora new adventure.Tks

Sure are. Eden Rock Dive Center has lockers and I think the the Lobster Pot Dive center (near Cheeseburger Reef) does as well. Restaurants would appreciate you also patronize their food and beverage offerings...

Sure are. Eden Rock Dive Center has lockers and I think the the Lobster Pot Dive center (near Cheeseburger Reef) does as well. Restaurants would appreciate you also patronize their food and beverage offerings...

We've done Eden Rock Dive Center twice and have just found out about Grotto Rock and now Cheeseburger Reef. We love the tarpon what are hanging out at the ladde at Eden Rock and yes we always get something to drink at least from the restaurant.

Where exactly is Cheeseburger Reef? Where would we get into the water or which ladder would we use to visit Cheeseburger Reef? We enjoyed bobbing out to the trampoline since neither my hubby or me can swim but we do bob. The first time at Eden Rock we were scared to get far from the ladder so the next year we brought our son (who swims like a fish) so that he could help us get to the trampoline so we could get our pictures taken hanging out.

The fish are so cool and it is neat to see those 6ft tarpon hanging around waiting for visitors.

"Where exactly is Cheeseburger Reef?"

Instead of hanging a right from the terminal (towards Eden Rock & Devil's Grotto), choose left and walk up to the Lobster Pot dive Center near the Lobster Pot and Casanova's restaurants. The dive center can show you exactly where to go for the best reef sections.

• 2 years later...

How many minutes is it to walk to Cheeseburger Reef?

Cemetary?

We will be in port from 10 to 6 and are doing ship excursion to Stingray City from 11:30 to 2:30.

I'm wondering if we can walk to these sites afterwards. Have been before and they were good.

We've done Eden Rock Dive Center twice and have just found out about Grotto Rock and now Cheeseburger Reef. We love the tarpon what are hanging out at the ladde at Eden Rock and yes we always get something to drink at least from the restaurant.

Where exactly is Cheeseburger Reef? Where would we get into the water or which ladder would we use to visit Cheeseburger Reef? We enjoyed bobbing out to the trampoline since neither my hubby or me can swim but we do bob. The first time at Eden Rock we were scared to get far from the ladder so the next year we brought our son (who swims like a fish) so that he could help us get to the trampoline so we could get our pictures taken hanging out.

The fish are so cool and it is neat to see those 6ft tarpon hanging around waiting for visitors.

Cheeseburger Reef is next to the Burger King. If you are walking from the tender dock, it is right before BK. You swim out a ways and it was very good when we were there but that was over 5 years ago.