Pre Cruise 2 Days in Copenhagen

We are a family of 3 (2 adults and 18 year old daughter) and will be visiting Copenhagen on August 2nd through 4th when we board our Baltic cruise. We arrive the morning of August 2 from the US. I am planning our visit in Copenhagen and trying to determine if purchasing a Copenhagen Card is worth it. We are staying at the Hotel Neptune. On our list of things to see and do are:

Tivoli

Rosenburg Castle

Amalienborg Palace

Little Mermaid

Canal tour

Stroget

Nyhaven

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. The Copenhagen Card is 479dkk (83USD) for a 72 hour period. I calculated that this would cover 310 dkk of charges for entrances to the things we want to see above. That would leave about 169dkk. I don't know if there are other sights to see that would be covered under the Copenhagen Card. I also know that this will cover transport from the airport to our hotel via Metro and other transport but not sure how much we will need other transport as most things we will do will be in the central part of the city.

Does anyone have advice on things to do and whether we should purchase the Copenhagen Card vs. city pass tickets? Thanks!

Mollie

We are a family of 3 (2 adults and 18 year old daughter) and will be visiting Copenhagen on August 2nd through 4th when we board our Baltic cruise. We arrive the morning of August 2 from the US. I am planning our visit in Copenhagen and trying to determine if purchasing a Copenhagen Card is worth it. We are staying at the Hotel Neptune. On our list of things to see and do are:

Tivoli

Rosenburg Castle

Amalienborg Palace

Little Mermaid

Canal tour

Stroget

Nyhaven

If you're at Amalienborg Castle just before noon, you'll see the changing of the guard, and if the Queen is in house, they may be in their scarlet red uniforms.

Enjoy. ;) :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier round trip.

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22nd cruise - Caribbean Princess, 7 days, 29 SEP - 06 OCT 2012, Canada/New England

23 & 24th cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

If your not buying the CPH Card then you can consider the City Pass instead, it will cover the transportation in all the area you have mentioned.

The city pass only cost 190 DKK for 72 hour.

Entrance to Tivoli is 95 DKK

Combined Rosenborg and Amalienborg ticket is 110 DKK

Canal tour 70 DKK for either the 1 hour guided tour or 24 hour hop on hop off ticket without a guide.

Its a total price of 465 DKK so you only need to find something to do for 14 DKK.

Copenhagen is a wonderful city and you will simply love your time there. You can buy the Copenhagen Card, but you can also just walk around. Most of the main attractions are in a sort of 2 mile radius and wandering about this city is part of the fun. If you write to the Copenhagen Tourist office, they will send you some great maps of the city, which will include walking tours and a lot of other useful items. http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/

To help get you oriented, here are a few of our pixs of this city and some of the attractions you mentioned.

If you dock at Langeline, the Little Mermaid is right there on display, guarding Copenhagen harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

A short walk from here you will come to the Nyhavn section, which is where you will want to do the Canal Boat Tour. Spend some time here just wandering about this colorful section

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

If you can get to Amalienborg Palace before noon, you can witness the Changing of the Guard ceremony.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster296.jpg

Since you will be there for a couple of days, take a stroll to the Stroget, a pedestrian mall of wonderful shops and stores of all types.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster303.jpg

Also not that far away is Rosenborg Castle. Take some time to walk thru the Rose gardens and in the Castle you can view the Crown Jewels.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster336.jpg

While walking around Copenhagen we came across this marvelous church, situated in a sort of moat.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe353.jpg

Just enjoy your time there

Cheers

Len

For our friends from Maryland and near the DC Capitol, it's great you have this added time in Copenhagen! It is one of our most favorite cities. Lots of charm, character, interest, etc. You have noted many key places to visit. Part of the wonder here is just . . . walking around. On Tivoli, try seeing it at night when the lights are on and bringing "magic" there. Be ready with a plan "B" in the event of rain for a part of one of your days. Below are a few of my preview pictures to get you "excited" about this great city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 69,350 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area. Don't miss the canal tour in this historic and charming city.:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

Copenhagen's new Opera House across the canal from a charming fountain and near the current Royal Palace.:

1A-Copenhagen-OperaFountain.jpg

Copenhagen's famed Mermaid statue is fairly small but attracts large crowds. It is now back after spending the summer of 2010 in China.:

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1844. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Keep up the great information guys! We are a family of three (except our DD is 16YO) who will be in Copenhagen two plus days pre-cruise a week after Swimfamily. I'm taking notes! :)

I just had a similar discussion with my husband a few days ago regarding this very same issue, should we purchase the Copenhagen card or not.

We will only be in Copenhagen 1 day post-cruise. After looking at all the costs, we have decided we will get the Copenhagen card and do the following:

24 hour card - 249 DKK

Take the bus from pier to the stop closest to hotel (covered by card)

Walk out to the Roundtown (Rundetaarn) - 25 DKK

Go over to Rosenborg Castle (Rosenborg Slot) - 80 DKK

Make our way back over to Amalienborg Castle -65 DKK

Walk over to Nyhavn and take Canal Tours Copenhagen - 70 DKK

Take public transportation out to The Little Mermaid (maybe)

Take public transportation over to Christianshavn (covered by card)

Visit Vor Felsers Kirke - 35 DKK

Public transport back to hotel (covered by card)

Visit Tivoli at night - 95 DKK

Next morning take the train to the airport (36DKK - still covered by card b/c it's within the 24 hours)

Not including the train back to the airport (which I already know is 36 DKK) that's 370 DKK on admission alone to everything I want to do - or 335 DKK if I count Amalienborg/Rosenborg as a combined 110 DKK. So, without counting the public transportation, that's 335 DKK total and the cost of the card is only 249 DKK. If I add in the transportation, I'm well over the cost of the card.

And, you may say that this is an overly ambitious itinerary, and I would have to agree with you, expect that I've actually done this same exact itinerary using a 24 hour Copenhagen Card before, so I know it can't be done. The only thing I haven't done before is Vor Felsers Kirke. But even if I leave that out, I'm still at 300 DKK worth of admission without the transportation added in.

If you're wondering why I'm donig this itinerary in Copenhagen again if I've already done it, the first time I did it was not with my husband, who has never been to Copenhagen. So, I'm doing it so that he can see everything.

I figure, we only have a short amount of time in Copenhagen, so we're going to make the most out of it. We'll hit the ground running as soon as we get off the ship and go and until we drop (which will be on the plane back home the next morning).

Swimfamily --- one thing I would say you could add to your itinerary (and only if you get the Copenhagen card) is the Round Tower. It's kind of close to Rosenborg Castle, if you're already headed out that way. It doesn't take more than 15-30 minutes, depending on how fast you walk and how much time you spend admiring the view, but it's kind of a neat place. It's included in the cost of the Copenhagen card. But, it's probably not really worth it if you aren't buying the card and need to pay for admission on your own.

I too have been playing around with the numbers. We will be in Copenhagen for two nights pre cruise but it will be in June (next month). We also plan to do pretty similar to what you have listed. With that said, we are thinking of doing just the 24 hour pass and then trying to do the things that actually are the bigger cost items in that 24 hours and then the freebies in the other time. I have no idea how that will work out since we don't go til next month, but for us, we weren't getting a deal any more with what we were planning with the 72 hour pass where as IF IF IF we can fit in what we would like, it WILL be good for the 24 hours. Time will tell and good luck.

Cathy

hello guys, i'm doing a baltic cruise and we are in Copenhagen for 2 days, would you have any idea how far Tivoli is from the docks ?

Depending upon where your ship docks as there are a couple of places. If you dock at Langeline, then it is about a mile, give or take a few blocks.

Cheers

Len

hello guys, i'm doing a baltic cruise and we are in Copenhagen for 2 days, would you have any idea how far Tivoli is from the docks ?

Don't mean to doubt the wonderful Len, but the distance from Tivoli to the main docking area is a little longer. I know it well, having walked it back from Tivoli in late July 2008 and also checked the distance on Google.com maps. It is about 1.25 miles. Len was close. Since, however, here's the catch, there is so much to see and enjoy during that walk, it can easily take 30-45 minutes. Or, more!! You'll be stopping so often and soaking up all of the charm and character and beauty as you walk back. And we loved Tivoli. At night, when lighted in a magical manner, it is even better, if that's possible.

Below is a posting with some of what we saw and experienced in doing that walk back. Check more at:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

We super loved Copenhagen!! Have been there twice and enjoyed things so super much. Below are a few of my visuals you can see and experience while doing that walk.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,167 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 69,460 views.

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen's new Opera House across the canal from a charming fountain and near the current Royal Palace.:

1A-Copenhagen-OperaFountain.jpg

Copenhagen's famed Mermaid statue is fairly small but attracts large crowds. It is now back after spending the summer of 2010 in China. It is right on your path walking back to the ship docking location.:

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

Looking north towards the Langelinie pier location, you see these details on the base of this tall statute as you walk towards the location for the Little Mermaid (that will be gone this summer).

CPHStatuteDetails.jpg

Thank you everyone for your advice. Much appreciated.

@donnasdad - we are planning to see the changing of the guard. I read somewhere on CC that you can see Amlienborg Palace, then the changing of the guard there and then you can follow them to Rosenburg Castle. (or maybe I have that reversed).:)

@danishviking - it seems to make sense to purchase the Copenhagen Card and will probably do the 72 hr card. We arrive Thursday and will do some touring that day but think we will probably do Tivoli Friday night. There is a concert that night which might be fun to see. That said, it still might make financial sense to do the 24 hr ticket and try to see the ticketed sights in one day, as Cathy pointed out.

jstducky - thanks for letting me know about visiting the round tower - we will be there for 2 days and should have time. I know from another post that your cruise is right after ours. Looks like we are doing a very similar trip.

Len and Terry - thank you for all your posts, pictures and advice!! The pictures are wonderful. I have read your posts to my inquiry as well as many other posts you both have made and have learned a lot from you. so thank you again.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Much appreciated. Len and Terry - thank you for all your posts, pictures and advice!! The pictures are wonderful. I have read your posts to my inquiry as well as many other posts you both have made and have learned a lot from you. so thank you again.

Appreciate your kind and nice comments. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make such great comments about Len and me.

Below are a few more of my pictures from Copenhagen to get you excited about this great city and its many wonderful options. Sorry I duplicated a couple of pictures that had been posted earlier. Lots of nice variety in this great city.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,362 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 69,574 views.

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Here is one of my pictures of the Stock Exchange on Slotsholmen in central Copenhagen. It was built by Christian IV in 1619–1640. It is known for its Dragon Spire shaped as the tails of four dragons twined together, reaching a height of 56 metres. It housed the Danish stock-market until 1974.

CPHstockExchange.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

1A-Copenh-UnderBridge.jpg

Next to Copenhagen City Hall is the famous statue of Hans Christian Anderson. People like to take pictures of their children placed on the "lap" of this author. You can see the "wear" from the heavy use with this statue.:

CPNHansChrAndersonStat.jpg

South of Copenhagen is the charming seaside village of Dragor. Below are some visual samples for what you can see there. It is about seven miles from main Copenhagen. Dragør has many well preserved historical buildings with the old part being a picturesque maze of alleys with yellow painted houses, red roofs, and cobblestone streets. Many of these buildings are hundreds of years old. Dragor was founded in the 12th Century and was a prosperous seafaring town in the later half of the 19th century, Its charming harbor front is still in use with a great view of the new bridge that connects to Sweden.:

1A-Copenh-ThatchRoof.jpg

1A-Copenhagen-NewBridge.jpg

I just want to clarify some of the information given above. the copenhagen card (72 hours) is not 190 DKK it is actually 102 Euro which is significantly more expensive.

It therfore will cost about $132 each person which is the equivalent of about 702 DKK.

Please correct me if I am wrong becasue I am basing my own decision on these calculations.

David J

Thank you everyone for your advice. Much appreciated.

@donnasdad - we are planning to see the changing of the guard. I read somewhere on CC that you can see Amlienborg Palace, then the changing of the guard there and then you can follow them to Rosenburg Castle. (or maybe I have that reversed).:)

@danishviking - it seems to make sense to purchase the Copenhagen Card and will probably do the 72 hr card. We arrive Thursday and will do some touring that day but think we will probably do Tivoli Friday night. There is a concert that night which might be fun to see. That said, it still might make financial sense to do the 24 hr ticket and try to see the ticketed sights in one day, as Cathy pointed out.

jstducky - thanks for letting me know about visiting the round tower - we will be there for 2 days and should have time. I know from another post that your cruise is right after ours. Looks like we are doing a very similar trip.

Len and Terry - thank you for all your posts, pictures and advice!! The pictures are wonderful. I have read your posts to my inquiry as well as many other posts you both have made and have learned a lot from you. so thank you again.

I also, like Terry, want to thank you for your nice comments. Just glad to help in any way I can.

Enjoy Copenhagen.

Cheers

Len

I just want to clarify some of the information given above. the copenhagen card (72 hours) is not 190 DKK it is actually 102 Euro which is significantly more expensive.

It therfore will cost about $132 each person which is the equivalent of about 702 DKK.

Please correct me if I am wrong becasue I am basing my own decision on these calculations.

David J

this is direct from the Copenhagen Card's website with respect to prices:

Adult (>15)

24 hours - 249 DKK or 35 Euros

72 hours - 479 DKK or 65 Euros

120 hours - 699 DKK or 95 Euros

Children

24 hours - 119 DKK or 16 Euros

72 hours - 239 DKK or 32 Euros

120 hours - 349 DKK or 47 Euros

If you order the card in advance for delivery to your home there is a postage fee of 20 DKK or 3 Euros per card ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

As noted in my earlier post, we will be in Copenhagen 2 days pre-cruise and I am still trying to figure out our plans. Since we arrive on a Thursday morning, we could do all free sights on Thursday and do the sights where there is an entrance fee all on Friday (this would include Amalienborg Palace, Rosenborg Castle, Tivoli and canal tour). We could then purchase a 24 hour Copenhagen Card for 249 dkk that would cover transportation and entrance fees for Friday. However, we still need to get from the airport to the hotel (staying at the Hotel Calarion Neptune) on Thursday and may need some transportation on Thursday visiting sights in various parts of the city. That would mean purchasing a city pass for Thursday or using the zone tickets, which I find very confusing.

Any advice or recommendations at to what makes the most sense? I already know that purchasing a 72 Copenhagen Card covers everything and might make the most sense considering ease of use.

we spent three days pre cruise and are glad we bought the 72 hour card. It was nice for ease of use. also remember, with the seventy to hour card you can visit sites more than once. Tivoli, for example, feels different day and night...of course night fall is pretty late In the summer.

Thank you Starry Eyes. Did you purchase the 72 hour Copenhagen Card in advance - have it sent to your home or did you purchase it at the airport?

I think we will just go ahead and purchase the Copenhagen Card as it will make the visit simpler. And you made an excellent point in that we very well may want to visit Tivoli in the day and again at night.

Did you also visit Stockholm? I am trying to figure out how to purchase bus tickets to take the bus (#76) from our dock in Frihamnen to Vasa and from Vasa to Gamla Stan. I have read much on CC about Stockholm and there seems to be unclear information where you can purchase bus tickets in advance of getting on the bus. If you have any advice, I appreciate it.

Archived