Guess what I found today

I was clearing out some old boxes today...I found my blue ticket folder from my first cruise on Fairstar dated 7th May 1974 together with some postcards of the ship, the passenger list and my dining room reservation....OMG I must have been carting this stuff around forever. I have some menus somewhere too. Am I the only packrat who collects stuff from each cruise.

Any of you on that cruise?

Sue

I was clearing out some old boxes today...I found my blue ticket folder from my first cruise on Fairstar dated 7th May 1974 together with some postcards of the ship, the passenger list and my dining room reservation....OMG I must have been carting this stuff around forever. I have some menus somewhere too. Am I the only packrat who collects stuff from each cruise.

Any of you on that cruise?

Sue

I still have my blue folder from my Fairstar cruise in 1985 and my original ticket. I did have some dining room menus but unfortunately threw them out. I still kick myself over that. :(

Linda

But the best bit is...drum roll...I have all the evidence if it is accepted by the Captains Circle lady onboard today then it means I am BLACK CARD...yay.:D

All that free laundry and internet will be handy on the cruise in Mar next year.:)

Looking forward to a nice cruise up the coast today.

Sue

But the best bit is...drum roll...I have all the evidence if it is accepted by the Captains Circle lady onboard today then it means I am BLACK CARD...yay.:D

All that free laundry and internet will be handy on the cruise in Mar next year.:)

Looking forward to a nice cruise up the coast today.

Sue

Enjoy your break, Sue! Fingers crossed for the Circle. :D

I am definately not a hoarder, especially as we hope to downsize in the next few years. BUT, something I could not throw away was a cigarette lighter that cruisers were given on the Fairstar and it says 1971/72 New Years Cruise. I couldn't believe it and no I did not throw it away. Do you think I could present it for 14 days credit with PO/Princess - but it doesn't have my name.

Rosie

I wonder if you could dig up some photos taken on board showing NYE type background? I am no hoarder and never keep stuff from cruises, except these days have kept the cruise cards (as you know these were not used in the dim dark ages).

When I requested my Princess Elite status I was unable to show physically stuff from my old cruises with P&O, but just gave estimates of cruises and dates. Even though I had a voyage to Canada and return voyage from England (of many weeks duration), I was credited with a maximum of 10 days per cruise. I did though (if required) have photos from some of those old trips showing the ship in the background.

When you next cruise Princess, just take as much as you have, see the staff on board, and hopefully you will get the next level whatever that may be. Good luck............Jan

Captains Circle lady could not have been more helpful...well I did have a passenger list showing the date and itinerary of the cruise plus had my name in the passenger list..I took birth certificate too since the cruise was in my maiden name. So I had my black card within minutes of sitting down with her.

And my elite hospitality package was sent to my cabin immediately.

All set for the month on the Ocean Princess now.:)

Sue

I travelled on her in 1978. I still have my passenger ticket with my blue folder and some photos. I wondered if P & O as well as Princess would accept it as a passed cruise. Seems as if they would.

There is a group on another very popular site dedicated to the glory of the Fairstar with quite a lot of pictures.

Yes Keagle that will be accepted towards Princess' loyalty program...but you have to do one Princess cruise first.

I dont think the Fairstar was glorious (especially compared to todays ships..LOL) but she was a fascinating and relatively unknown method of travel apart from our ten pound poms and our returned servicemen not many Australians could afford cruising before Fairstar.

Sue

Those of us off to see the world in the late 50s early 60s had no other option but to travel by sea. To fly to Canada (my first destination) or England (as many others did) was prohibitive, and the lure of a holiday before working our way around the world was an added incentive. Ah those were the days!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I too seem to be a packrat with Fairstar stuff :o, I still have my ticket along with a Cascades tour ticked, photos from the ship, postcards, Fairstar book, T-Shirt, keyring of a stock photo, Spoons as well as all the menus.

Prized possession is the Menu's - all individual and on parchment looking paper with a beautiful watercolour on them. I even have our Head Waiter sign them as well.

I am reminded of my Fairstar cruise in 1990 every morning. We didn't think much of the cups they used for the coffee on board so bought some "Fairstar" coffee mugs onboard. I still have my morning coffee in my one every morning.:D

I have plenty of Sitmar stuff too, including a little bear, key rings, letter opener, crew lapel badges (both 'v' design and entwined rope design like in my signature), a teaspoon with a 'v' on it presumably nicked from one of the early cruises (not by me by the way, oh well, I don't suppose poor old Fairstar will be needing it anymore) and my brother bought me a 1989 advance release brochure which includes the new ship Sitmar FairMajesty (Pacific Pearl), original cabin plans and all.

Recently my mum & dad were going through their stuff and found menus, passenger lists and the ticket wallets and tickets for almost all our 1970s and 80s cruises. So now I am family custodian of all the useless cruising memorabilia. Plus it proves all the cruises for my P&O/Princess cruising history. :D

Archived