Viking River Cruises?

IttaBit

My husband suggested we go to Europe for Christmas break next year and I thought it might be fun to do the Viking River Cruise and do Paris, Normandy (my husband is a HUGE WWII history buff), then fly to London for a few days. I'm not sure if it's going to be good for a 2.5 yr old though. Thoughts?

There is a forum here for river cruises.

My husband and I were interested in river cruising, but opted not to because they seem to be aimed at much older people. Ages 60+ and we are in our 30s with a baby. I believe one line we looked at specifically said they did not allow kids.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm interested to read any responses.

We have been considering taking a Danube cruise with our older kids so I have looked at some of the websites. It seems that several of them have a minimum age of 8 for their cruises.

On a side note - our family (our daughters are 15 and 8) just returned from a trip to Paris and went on a day trip to Normandy. It was one of the best days of our vacation - very sobering to see where the Battle of Normandy played out and very educational for my daughters. We visited Juno Beach where the Canadian troops landed, the Juno Beach museum and the Canadian War Cemetery and seeing these places and learning about what happened during WWII made a deep impression on all of us. My older daughter is studying WWII in 10th grade and she felt that she learned more that day than she has in the classroom all year - and I'm sure it's a lesson that she won't soon forget.

Lisa

This is from Viking River cruises website:

Viking River Cruises does not maintain facilities or services for children due to the nature of their cruises.

Minimum age to cruise on Viking River is 12 years.

My husband suggested we go to Europe for Christmas break next year and I thought it might be fun to do the Viking River Cruise and do Paris, Normandy (my husband is a HUGE WWII history buff), then fly to London for a few days. I'm not sure if it's going to be good for a 2.5 yr old though. Thoughts?

At that age, I don't see this being much fun for the 2.5 year old. You know your child best but normally for a child that young I would have said some type of cruise where the weather is warm and there are beaches and the like to play.

Keith

This is from Viking River cruises website:

Viking River Cruises does not maintain facilities or services for children due to the nature of their cruises.

Minimum age to cruise on Viking River is 12 years.

Thanks, Kitty, I was unaware of their age limit although I've looked at Viking and had independently decided my child was too young, she's turning 7 soon. 5 years is a long time to wait - I'm looking forward to cruising with Viking someday!

Archived