Whales on Tanksanuk Mountain Trail 4x4 excursion?

jaive

DH and I are trying to decide what excursions to do on our Alaskan Cruise this fall. (we're going in September) Two top things on my list is a helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier and seeing whales. Both of those are in the same port! So, I was wondering has anyone done the Tankshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4 excursion? It has a short cruise to and from Haines and what are the chances of seeing whales then?

Sarah

DH and I are trying to decide what excursions to do on our Alaskan Cruise this fall. (we're going in September) Two top things on my list is a helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier and seeing whales. Both of those are in the same port! So, I was wondering has anyone done the Tankshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4 excursion? It has a short cruise to and from Haines and what are the chances of seeing whales then?

Sarah

From Skagway?? It's possible, but not what I would consider a "good" chance. Don't count on it.

How much time do you have in Juneau? Cobooking whale watches and helicopter landings (is it firm you have to land on Mendenhall?) can work out extremely well.

From Skagway?? It's possible, but not what I would consider a "good" chance. Don't count on it.

How much time do you have in Juneau? Cobooking whale watches and helicopter landings (is it firm you have to land on Mendenhall?) can work out extremely well.

I wish we could book both but we'll be in port from 2-10, we're going in September, and at least all the cruise excursions overlap. This is our first cruise so I don't know if I want to try booking them on our own.

Thanks for the information though!

Sarah

We did the fast ferry to Haines a couple of years ago and I wouldn't count on it for whale viewing. Even if a whale was spotted it would be unlikely they would slow down for whale watching. They are on a tight schedule and number one priority is to get passengers back and forth. You probably have better chances of viewing whales from your ship. But a whale watching excursion would be your best opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived