Denali Shuttle with Children

kenmii

Hi All-

I can't find my notes on the Denali Shuttle. I believe it was recommended to book the Wonder Lake shuttle and if I wanted to, we could stop at the Eielson Visitor Center and return from there. Is this correct? If so, how do I do this?

Has anyone taken children (8 to 11), and did the children enjoy it or did they whine throughout the entire trip?

Thanks!

8 is around the youngest age for the long transit. Only you know, what your kids are like?

Either way, be willing to exit the bus, IF there are any "meltdowns". It is not going to be very welcome for disruptions. :)

Bring double the food you think you'll need, and triple the games/batteries- headsets required.

Questions to consider, do the kids have any interest in going on this long bus ride, that is mostly scenery based? Are they being involved in the planning?

I really agree with BudgetQueen on this. Adding to what she posted, the seats on the buses are not large so there is not alot of wiggle room for children and no opportunity to get up and wander around the bus when the bus is moving. There are a couple of toilet stops along the way, but they are not modern toilets that use water. Will your children be willing to use something like a Porta-Potty?

If you are ticketed on the Denali shuttle buses you can get off an outbound bus and wait for a returning shuttle bus if you reach the end of your patience and your children are sick of it all.

I've been bothered more by unruly kids on the cruiseship than on the Denali bus! Only you know how your kids will behave so keep a few things in mind:

-the driver will announce that everyone is a spotter and to yell when you spot wildlife. What kid doesn't want to be the first to spot something?

- everyone needs their own binoculars

- there are free Jr Ranger kits at the Visitor Center if that would be of interest to your kids. Otherwise bring stuff to occupy them IF they should lose interest. Bring snacks and water, plus lunch.

- the bus will stop every 90 minutes for a 10 minute break so you can get out, take photos, walk around, use the restroom

- it takes 4 hrs to get to Eielson, 6 hrs to reach Wonder Lake

- most passengers sleep on the return trip, until someone yells " caribou!" and they're jolted awake.

- if one or both kids are being disruptive, you can hop off the bus, take a walk on the tundra or the road then catch a later bus, or, you can return to the entrance. Or maybe 1 parent and kid return, and the others continue.

If you reserve a seat to Wonder Lake, and things are going well, you've got your seats and don't have to worry about it. But if you only book to Eielson and things are going great and the mountain is out, you need to wait in line for the bus dispatcher to find 4 available seats.

Have a wonderful trip!

p.s. get to the WAC early so you can get seats on BOTH sides of the bus. That way you're not leaning over strangers for sightings on the other side.

All-

Thank you for all the reminders! This was what I was looking for.

If we get off, do you happen to know how often one returns? Do the restroom stops have an enclosed area to wait for the next stop?

Thanks again!!

An enclosure? There was no fence around the restrooms last yr if that's what you mean.

You'll need to look at the bus schedules for whichever time period applies to your trip. Generally there's a bus coming by every 30 minutes or so. That doesn't mean there will be 4 empty seats tho. Another reason to be prepared to split up.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm#CP_JUMP_308925

All-

Thank you for all the reminders! This was what I was looking for.

If we get off, do you happen to know how often one returns? Do the restroom stops have an enclosed area to wait for the next stop?

Thanks again!!

The only "enclosed" area will be at Eielson. Otherwise, everywhere else is open.

As noted, it can be tougher to get 4 open seats on a bus, but they run pretty frequently peak times. This would be IF you needed a bus between Eielson and the entrance. There are far fewer buses, if you need one between Wonder Lake and Eielson.

Thanks.. that link was helpful. I understand the enclosures now.. just thinking of roof enclosures should it rain.

As we stop for restroom breaks, do we lose our seats? Do we have to unload and hope we make it back to the shuttle with space available? How about at Eielson? If I stick to the schedule, it looks like I have 1 hour at Eielson. Will we still have our seats reserved on the original bus for the return trip? Or is it a free for all?

As for Wonder Lake, it says there is a 2 mile hike to the reflection pond. If we don't do the hike, is it worth it to go to Wonder Lake (besides the view of Mt McKinley)?

BTW, should i take toilet paper for the porta-potties?

I am surprised at some of the (mis)information above. Toklat rest stop has a heated bookstore and ranger desk in a large tent that is protected from the elements and is open most of the day (maybe 8-9am until about 6pm?). Also, Tek rest stop has a portion of it that has a roof.

If you stick to the same bus you keep your seats and can keep your belongings on the bus even during rest stops.

As for Wonder Lake, it says there is a 2 mile hike to the reflection pond. If we don't do the hike, is it worth it to go to Wonder Lake (besides the view of Mt McKinley)?

What is "it" that says it is a 2 mile hike to Reflection Pond? From the Wonder Lake turnaroud point that might be true, but if you get off the bus at the closest point to the pond you are taking 3/4 mile or less. Reflection Pond is nothing special unless the Mountain is visible and there is no wind (very rare). Best photos from there are when the buses are no longer operating (with the alpenglow late at night or early in the morning). It is worth going to Wonder Lake mainly for the view of Mt. McKinley. No need to take TP unless you are going into the backcountry.

belongings on the bus even during rest stops.

What is "it" that says it is a 2 mile hike to Reflection Pond? From the Wonder Lake turnaroud point that might be true, but if you get off the bus at the closest point to the pond you are taking 3/4 mile or less. Reflection Pond is nothing special unless the Mountain is visible and there is no wind (very rare). Best photos from there are when the buses are no longer operating (with the alpenglow late at night or early in the morning). It is worth going to Wonder Lake mainly for the view of Mt. McKinley. No need to take TP unless you are going into the backcountry.

The website mentions the hike at 2 miles, and yes, from the Wonder Lake turnaround. What is the closest stop to the pond?

Thanks for the info!

Archived