A question about money

My cruise is in August after booking it 12 months ago it has gone really quick, we are going on the Dream and getting quite excited now,:)

What i would like to know is do you have to give money upfront for anything you buy onboard we dont have cards just use cash,we are all inclusive so the only money we will spend will be on Thomson tours, can we pay as we go,:confused:

I would STRONGLY recommend getting plastic for emergency purposes - some include worthwhile benefits like free travel insurance.

The Norwich & Peterborough do a great Visa debit card offer on their Gold Classic account.

Absolutely no foreign currency transaction fees (of any type) for cash withdrawn at ATMs abroad - plus up to £3,000 advanced hotel + flight home costs cover if you are stranded in another country.

What a great "insurance" benefit that is to have in case of emergency.

The only condition is you must credit a minimum of £500 a month into the account - but it does not have to remain there once deposited, and it's a normal current account otherwise.

Until we started cruising we did not own a credit card, we have found it more than a little handy over the years. You can do the same as I do and pay the balance each month, so no interest to pay. Also if you pay the deposit (min £100) for your cruise on credit then the holiday is insured even if you pay the rest by cash. I would not want to be stranded abroad with no credit card, plus carrying too much cash is always risky.

On all our cruises where we have been AI (which is most of them) we have never put any cash on our account and I have never given them any of my card details.

When we have booked excursions we have waited until they have gone on to our account (which is usually the next day) and then paid them off in cash. The same goes for anything else we may have to purchase from any of the shops.

If you are not on AI then I can understand them wanting some cash up front, but otherwise you may not need to spend anything at all.

I think from the link they are assuming you are not on AI.

Janet

Hi deepsix

That's odd. When we have our photo taken for our card and are asked for card details we just tell them we do not have one and will be paying in cash.

Once onboard we don't go to reception to leave any money and have never had any note put through our cabin door reminding us to do so.:confused:

As soon as we book excursions we pay for them next day, so maybe as they see things being paid for straight away, they don't worry.

We will have to put money on our account in August as we are sailing from Harwich and do not intend buying the AI once on board, but that I can understand as we will be buying drinks.

I wonder if anyone else has not left card details nor put cash in their account when on AI.:rolleyes:

Janet

If you are not on AI then I can understand them wanting some cash up front, but otherwise you may not need to spend anything at all.

I may have misunderstood the thread - but I think the AI aspect is largely irrelevant ?

If a passenger doesn't register a card on arrival the ship will not extend a line of credit unless you deposit the £200 cash.

Archived