When can you book "extras?"

seluased

Hi! So this is my first post here :), and also my first cruise as an adult where I'm doing all the booking and planning (I've been on five cruises previously, as a kid and teen, as part of family vacations).

So I already have my reservation on the NCL Dawn for a Canadian adventure this fall. I'm working with a travel agent and she was great for helping with choosing the stateroom and all that, but doesn't seem to really know some of the nitty gritty details so I did a search and found myself here. :)

So my question is: when do you book "extras" on the cruise? I've already booked three excursions through "My NCL," but I don't see options to choose and add things like the soda program and the extra restaurants. I see these things listed under "Explore and Plan," but they're not available to book.

I'm a really big planner, so I'd prefer to have all this sorted before going, if possible. Does anyone know if you can pre-book these things, or if you have to wait until you board? And if you have to wait, where do you go? Are the lines ridiculously long to make reservations? And what about paying for and getting the soda sticker for unlimited soft drinks?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi! So this is my first post here :), and also my first cruise as an adult where I'm doing all the booking and planning (I've been on five cruises previously, as a kid and teen, as part of family vacations).

So I already have my reservation on the NCL Dawn for a Canadian adventure this fall. I'm working with a travel agent and she was great for helping with choosing the stateroom and all that, but doesn't seem to really know some of the nitty gritty details so I did a search and found myself here. :)

So my question is: when do you book "extras" on the cruise? I've already booked three excursions through "My NCL," but I don't see options to choose and add things like the soda program and the extra restaurants. I see these things listed under "Explore and Plan," but they're not available to book.

I'm a really big planner, so I'd prefer to have all this sorted before going, if possible. Does anyone know if you can pre-book these things, or if you have to wait until you board? And if you have to wait, where do you go? Are the lines ridiculously long to make reservations? And what about paying for and getting the soda sticker for unlimited soft drinks?

Welcome to CC! Glad you found us! :)

When is your sailing? While you are able to book shore excursions, you won't be able to pre-book anything else until your sailing is nearer. This option will show up on your MY NCL account when available.

I can understand wanting to plan everything out but there is little reason to pre-book reservations before you board. You'll be required to pay in advance and not be able to use any OBC you might have for those charges...If you're worried about the specialty restaurants being full, trust me you won't be disappointed. The only exception would be Teppanyaki and the Chef's Table. These book up quickly due to the smaller venue and/or limited offering.

As for the soda program, you can purchase this any time at any bar on the ship...They usually have a table set up on embarkation day to sell you the packages (Soda/Wine/Water). If you want to cut costs, you're able to carry soda and water aboard without fee as well.

If you are really into planning it all out, I strongly suggest you join your roll call and meet others who will be on your cruise. Here you'll be able to swap stories, get advice and pool your money together for excursions you would otherwise pay more for.

Have fun planning...I think this is the best part of cruising, next to actually cruising! :D

I think you can book the specialty restaurants something like 45 days before your cruise. At that point they will show up in your "My NCL" to book. I doubt you can add the soda program beforehand. My cruise is in 12 days, and I don't see this as an option in my account.

For the soda program you can go to the NCL website and look for the BON VOYAGE department (you might have to search for it). There will be a option for the Soda Package and you can pay for it up front. I would call the bon voyage department rather than faxing your order in. Then request a confirmation Email, print that out and put it with your cruise docs so that if ther eis some issue on the ship you have proof that you did indeed order it.

Thanks all! I'll be sure to check out "My NCL" within the 45 day period to book the extra restaurants. And I just learned an invaluable tip: bring my own soda! A 12-pack is, what? Like $5 at the grocery store? Better to do that than pay almost $50 for the soda program for a week! Especially since NCL carries Pepsi and I prefer Coke. :) Since I'm getting a ride to the port and don't have to fly, that's probably my best option.

Archived