Flying in day of-1st cruise

I am in a similar predicament. I have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of my upcoming cruise on the Vision.

I have a direct flight from JFK at 6:00 am scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 9:00 am(direct).

The funny thing is that I have advised others not to do this and now I have to.

I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that all goes according to plan.:p

We had a similar 6am flight out of boston to FL to miami or FLL (can't remember where explorer was then), and we ended up sitting on the tarmac with equipment trouble until 9:15am.

Ended up being a very stressful morning, and the last time we've flown day of the cruise, but totally understand if you're airport is closer than a 3 hour flight and you've got driving alternatives as back-ups.

Good luck to OP and have a great cruise.

I'm so thankful for Cruise Critic and the WONDERFUL people on here willing to offer helpful advice! I honestly would have NEVER even considered the issue of having such a short layover and our luggage. I would like to think that I could just pack all that I need on a carry-on and not worry about checking luggage... but, I know me... and I just reallllllly don't think that is likely to happen.

I'm really leaning towards just driving down overnight to Florida- with a rental car.... and then using SW points to fly back. 14 hours is a long time... but we've made the drive down to South Florida before and just switched off and napped. Now, if I can get my husband on board with this idea! (I enjoy long drives much more than he does ;) )

We've always managed to get a great car for not a lot of money on Hotwire. We prefer driving to Ft. Lauderdale. And you don't pay until you pick the car up. Although you do have to guarantee the rental with a credit card number.

We've always managed to get a great car for not a lot of money on Hotwire. We prefer driving to Ft. Lauderdale. And you don't pay until you pick the car up. Although you do have to guarantee the rental with a credit card number.

Since I've never rented a car before, perhaps you could help. Where would I drop the car off once I get to Ft. Lauderdale? Would it be at the port? Or at a rental place? Airport? Do I just pay a certain price and then am responsible for the gas it takes? Does this cover unlimited miles/crossing states? -- sorry for all the questions!!!

Archived