Flying in day of-1st cruise

I always get travel insurance. BUT, every policy I have taken excludes trip delay for connecting flights that are less than 1 to 1.5 hours between flights. So insurance likely would not help in this case if there is a problem with the connection in Orlando.

Last year at the end of October there were torrential rains that delayed landings and takeoffs at Fort Lauderdale. This was also combined with storms along the east coast that cancelled flights. Our flight home was delayed by 2 1/2 hrs as the flight coming in couldn't land. I really hope this doesn't happen to you. Mother Nature is totally unpredictable. Only you can decide what will be best for you. I am just not that much of a gambler.

I always get travel insurance. BUT, every policy I have taken excludes trip delay for connecting flights that are less than 1 to 1.5 hours between flights. So insurance likely would not help in this case if there is a problem with the connection in Orlando.

You are absolutely right. Had forgotten about that little clause. Actually, with that short a connect time, one of my biggest fears would be that the luggage wouldn't make it even if I did.

On our first cruise to Alaska the TA tried to talk us into the cruiseline's air package which would have been a day of connecting flight to Seattle and then a bus to Vancouver. No way. We coughed up an extra $100 for a nonstop the day before, had a lovely dinner and spent the night in a comfy hotel right across the street from the pier. Was able to start our vacation happy and calm. I know I would have been a basket case on that other flight even if they were responsible for getting us to the next port.

Just remember that regardless of the best laid game plan... Anything can happen... Our flight home was delayed 4 hours because they had to replace the windshield of the plane before it left... The people were RUNNING off the plane... It was a Saturday around 2pm at FLL... All I could think was they were heading to Port E!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Last month I was flying from San Antonio to the Rio Grande Valley. Typically a 45 minute flight on Southwest.

First - the plane arriving from Dallas had to fly through a storm. It was late arriving, pushing back our departure.

Second - once the plane arrived, the mechanics wanted to go over it to make sure it was okay after flying through that storm.

Third - The mechanics gave the plane the green light, but then storms moved through San Antonio -- so we had to sit on the plane for another 30 minutes.

Fourth - the storms that came through San Antonio moved toward RGV, and FAA said we wouldn't let us land in Harlingen if we had taken off.

Bottom line - my 45 minute flight that should have left at 4:30pm didn't arrive in RGV until a little after 9pm.

Make the best plan you can, but be prepared. Flying direct and on SWA swings the odds in your favor - but even then, it can go the other way!

Ann

You will be fine.

The majority of the passengers fly in & out the same day.

Very rarely is there any problems.

Those statements indicate just why flying on the day of the cruise can be risky. Yes the Op probably will be fine. But ....The fact that there rarely are problems means that yes, rarely there are problems. If there are problems albeit rarely, I am sure that the OP would wish to avoid them by flying in the day before if at all possible.

Sometimes you cannot avoid it.

with that short connection time it is possible that your luggage may not make the next plane even if you do

I didn't even consider this! Man, you guys and gals here on Cruise Critic are so helpful! I'm going to reallllllly try to figure out a way to fly out the day before.

I would not advise flying in the day of the cruise. It's a pain but we always fly in the evening before our cruise. Too many horror stories. I saw first hand on a cruise last September...members of our group missed their connection in Chicago and therefore missed the cruise out of NYC. How long a drive is it for you? What is the first port of call? If you missed the ship then you could fly to the first port of call. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that you consider going by yourself earlier with the luggage....if your husband misses the ship there would be only one outrageous ticket to buy to the first port of call.

My concern would also be luggage. Even when things went exactly on time, with a short layover time, I've had luggage miss the connection even if I had no trouble making it. If it's just a layover WITHOUT a plane change, then I'd feel much more relaxed about everyone and everything making the connection. Personally, I wouldn't chance it unless you could just use carry-ons... and I haven't yet been able to cruise w/o checking a bag.

If there is any way possible to do the night before I would...If you absolutely can't then the earliest direct flight would be the next best thing..Chances are you will be ok with the flight you have chosen...but why add the extra stress if you can avoid it?

There is a significant difference between a "direct" flight and a "non-stop" flight, The OP definitely needs a "non-stop" so there will be no "layover" problems. I think, but am not sure, that most flights between Raleigh and Ft. Lauderdale would be non-stop, but I suggest confirming that before booking.

most of the flights from RDU to FLL are not non-stop or even direct. There is ONE non-stop flight from Southwest that day, but it lands at 1:50, and I suspect the OP wants to be on the ship by then! :-D

To the OP, could you use your SW points on Airtran? Not sure how far those two have gone in joining yet...but worth asking! They have a later flight out to Atlanta and then onto FLL.

A gazillion people fly in the same day- RCL sells transfers and has busses full of them heading over to port. Of course "the worst could happen", that's why trip insurance is essential. In an ideal world you would fly in a day early. We've done it many times ( because we couldnt leave the kids even one day more than we were) and here is our experience:

-Booked a direct flight,

-Insured the trip so if we got a major breakdown( weather or whatnot) we were covered.

-Booked RCl transfers; while they cant " hold the ship"; they will at least be aware of who they are waiting for and ground staff can check the flights and whatnot to see if your trip can be salvaged. This way you are not in the air out of touch wondering if the cruise line has any idea about your situation.

- we try to get a nap in after muster, because we are totally pooped from the crack of dawn flight! ( that's why we like to come in a day early, so we are not so tired!)

We are Diamond cruisers and have never even cut it close...we do fly in a day ahead for out of the country or places where we can't fly direct.

So if you really can't get a late flight the day before, you can do it, many do, despite all the horror stories, and chances are better than not, your story will not be one!:D

We sat on the ground in Detroit one of our first cruises with a wild woman flying in day of cruise--we were a day early--but listening to her was a cure for me---all we missed was all our friends in Miami partying with out us--one other time we pulled an all dayer in Mpls again a day early---were we still ugly -you bet but late for sail--nope!!!

I myself hate cutting it close like that, it stresses me out.

Perhaps you guys fly separate. You could head out the night before yourself with all the luggage so your husband can just breeze right through skipping baggage claim.

I was going to suggest flying separately as well. I wouldn't be happy if DH missed the cruise, but I would go and hope that he could catch up at the first port of call.

One small thing in your favor..."IF" you did miss your connection in Orlando you could always rent a car at the airport & drive to Ft.Lauderdale...it's about a 3 hr drive so you should make it in plenty of time...just an idea for a back up plan...

And there's no drop fee in Florida, so you wouldn't have to pay an additional $50 to rent in Orlando and drop in Fort Lauderdale. We've done that drive and it's not bad, assuming that I-95 is flowing, which is more likely on the weekend.

But OP, I'm with the other who suggest flying in the night before. And do look at Miami as an option, perhaps flying in there late (the Sheraton at the airport is a very nice property for a night pre-cruise), hiring a car to take you to the port, and then flying home out of Fort Lauderdale post-cruise.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Nassau the first port of call for that cruise? If so, if your flight is late just hop on a flight to Nassau and catch up with the ship! Same goes for your luggage. If it's delayed have the airline deliver it you there. Or buy a new wardrobe - on their tab! :)

Vacation screw-ups will happen so either be prepared to ‘roll with the punches’ or fly in the night before. ;)

\ How long a drive is it for you? What is the first port of call? If you missed the ship then you could fly to the first port of call. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that you consider going by yourself earlier with the luggage....if your husband misses the ship there would be only one outrageous ticket to buy to the first port of call.

I agree about looking at the drive time. I'm guessing that's probably 12-ish hours. It wouldn't be a very fun drive since you'd probably have to do it overnight, but it would put things into your control for same day travel. You could even leave as soon as your husband is off work without concern of extra time for TSA at the airport. Plus, no worries about checked bags!

Wife and I flew into Orlando the same day of our cruise leaving from Port Canaveral and made it to the ship OK using Royal Caribbean's shuttle to get us to the ship. Having been up early to catch a flight we decided to take a nap before dinner. We woke up at 9 pm. We always try to fly in the day before. It does make things less stressful and extends the vacation. A couple of times we stayed at a hotel the day we disembarked the ship.

Flying out on the morning/day of the cruise with a short connecting flight time using points/mileage awards and luggage is just too "risky" - and, without added protection from travel insurance is plain rolling the dices.

If for whatever reasons, your flight is cancelled or delayed, you need to find 2 empty seats on each of the 2 connecting flights to get to FLL by the early afternoon - with or without your checked luggage. It looked like your options are quite limited both with WN and outside with other carriers - planes are taking off & landing with very high load factors these days. WN could rebook you on their next available on a standby or confirmed basis, or offer to cancel & refund your points (depending on their policies) - sure way to raise the blood presure & stress level.

Smartphone apps like FlighAware & Kayak will be very handy to have for those last minute changes so that you will at least know what the options are ...

Are you aware of possible alternate transportation - if any, it is 800+ miles or 13 hours of non-stop driving, yikes. Looked at schedules for Amtrack or Greyhound ?? Not what we would do, just saying it loud.

Sticking with original plans - then, I would spend $$ for the best in travel insurance coverage, just in case.

Archived