Flying in day of-1st cruise

Hi guys!! So, this will be the first cruise that my husband and I are taking. We are sailing on Oasis of the Seas on October 20... I would REALLY like to fly in the day before, but my husband says he just doesn't think it's really doable due to his job. I've read lots of posts on here... and I know that flying in the day before is definitely advisable. I'm trying to see if we could even fly in on a late flight the night before... I don't know.

Anyways- we have free points with Southwest and so will be booking with them. I am flying out of Raleigh/Durham to Ft. Lauderdale. The current flight that we are looking at flies out of Raleigh on October 20 at 7:05 AM and lands in Ft. Lauderdale at 10:35 AM. I am worried about layovers/delayed flights, etc.... any advice? Do you think we will be okay or should I reallllly try to go down the day before? Thanks everyone!!

If there is any way possible to do the night before I would...If you absolutely can't then the earliest direct flight would be the next best thing..Chances are you will be ok with the flight you have chosen...but why add the extra stress if you can avoid it?

Is that a direct flight?

Even if it's an hour late, you'll probably be able to board before your room is open to you. FLL is a VERY short taxi ride from Port Everglades, and they do their best to check in everyone very quickly.

If it's a winter flight that has a connection to Puerto Rico- and a 2pm landing is very close to the time they are leaving, we try to leave the day prior (and had to negotiate one trip we didn't do that to).

But summer, direct, early landing, (probably one of the first in the morning to leave your airport)- I would not worry too much about it. We've done both a night stay and a few direct flights into FLL and out of Everglades or Miami- no problem on any trip- the cost of the total trip is what made the decision on those vacations.

Hi guys!! So, this will be the first cruise that my husband and I are taking. We are sailing on Oasis of the Seas on October 20... I would REALLY like to fly in the day before, but my husband says he just doesn't think it's really doable due to his job. I've read lots of posts on here... and I know that flying in the day before is definitely advisable. I'm trying to see if we could even fly in on a late flight the night before... I don't know.

Anyways- we have free points with Southwest and so will be booking with them. I am flying out of Raleigh/Durham to Ft. Lauderdale. The current flight that we are looking at flies out of Raleigh on October 20 at 7:05 AM and lands in Ft. Lauderdale at 10:35 AM. I am worried about layovers/delayed flights, etc.... any advice? Do you think we will be okay or should I reallllly try to go down the day before? Thanks everyone!!

If things go as scheduled you will be fine. The FLL airport is 5-10 minute ride to the port. You have to be checked in 90 min prior to ship depature which is around 5 pm for Oasis so you have about 5 hour fudge factor which should be enough for delays in the schedule. I would still look at getting out the day before.

Too many variables impact flying today, so no one can say for certain that you'll be OK. It's always highly recommended to fly in the day before even if you have to take a "Red Eye" flight. Remember though you can get a free airline ticket unless you have trip cancellation insurance you'll loose the money you spent on the cruise if you don't make it on time.

You have to be on check-in and on-board the ship by 3:30 PM. regardless of the fact the ship does not depart until 5:00PM.

That early in the morning, RDU will still be opening, which is good. I would say you won't have a problem leaving Raleigh on time...the 45 minutes in Orlando, I can't speak to :-D

My husband and I have flown down day of for our last two cruises and not had any issues (I think Southwest RDU to FLL even, for the most recent!). I do stay antsy until I'm at the port though!

We always try to fly the day before, just to extend the vacation, and look for something to do in the local area. We also usually fly from Michigan, in the winter, so weather can effect our flights. There is also the chance of "misplaced" luggage. If you fly the day before, then you have a better chance of getting your luggage. We find that "late night" flights may be cancelled more often than early morning flights. We have flown to the cruise 2 times the day of, and it did work out well. But we figure "why stress" if you do not have to? Fort Lauderdale is an easy port to reach from the airport. Another "trick" is to go on the cruise line site and see which flights they are offering on their "easy fly" plans. If you book one of those on your own, and it is late, they may be waiting for their "own" airline passengers, so you may be better off if you are delayed in flight.

Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned- this is NOT a direct flight... but, it's the earliest one out of Raleigh. We would leave Raleigh at 7:05 and get to Orland at 8:55...then leave Orlando at 9:40 and get to Ft. Lauderdale at 10:35....

I just looked at the day before to fly out; and the latest flight going out is at is at 5:30ish.... I just don't know if we could do that with my husband's job. :/

Also- travel insurance. We have not yet booked it, but have discussed needing to. Is it better to go through the cruise line or look outside of the cruise line?

I myself hate cutting it close like that, it stresses me out.

Perhaps you guys fly separate. You could head out the night before yourself with all the luggage so your husband can just breeze right through skipping baggage claim.

We always fly out of RDU (love that airport) and leaving that early, should be no problem for you. It will not be crowded at all that early in the am. We always take a 6am flight out, but I see that 7:05am is the earliest option for you. I am with the others in that we always fly in the day before. Too many unexpected things can happen.

I would be concerned with the very SHORT layover in Orlando though. If your plane gets delayed for ANY reason at RDU, you will never make the Orlando flight.

I would also recommend you guys getting travel insurance.....just in case.;)

One small thing in your favor..."IF" you did miss your connection in Orlando you could always rent a car at the airport & drive to Ft.Lauderdale...it's about a 3 hr drive so you should make it in plenty of time...just an idea for a back up plan...

If at all possible, would always suggest flying in the day or night before.

Everyone often mentions winter weather, which we are very used to; however, we have been delayed by mechanical breakdowns, crew availability, and summer weather, e.g. thunderstorms - you just never know.

Also, if any of your bags do not make it - are not truly "lost" but delayed ..... you could also have a problem. The baggage side of things would really bother me ..... especiawith the flights not being direct and close connections.

Here's another vote for NOT flying in the day of the cruise. Too many variables can ruin or cancel your cruise. Even if you fly in very late the night before, you will be much more relaxed and be able to start your vacation without added stress. You can get a hotel room really inexpensively at FLL airport using priceline or hotwire, and then a taxi to the pier in the morning will be fast and not expensive. Hope it all works out for you, and I hope you have a great cruise!

I highly recommend travel insurance if you don't already have it.

And also a list of all the alternative flights both on SW as well as other airlines. Also, is it a direct flight or do you have to change planes.

Finally, take enough stuff w you so that when your luggage does not get there, you have clothes to wear.

DON

We watched a show last night on TLC - Fly Away or something like that. Anyway, its about airports and passengers trial and tribulations. Last night they focused on a couple who were flying the day of the cruise. Lo and behold, their plane was delayed and they spend the rest of the show showing them chewing their nails wondering if they'd make their cruise. Too stressful.

I've seen many people ask that question and usually its a money thing. My response is always if you cant afford a one night stay in a hotel then a cruise is the last thing you should be doing. You guys are different though, its a job thing so there's really not much you can do. Make sure you have good travel insurance and their phone numbers in case you do miss embarkation.

If you can possibly do the night before do it otherwise you really don't have a lot of choice.

Good luck I hope things work out for you.

It helps if you don't have any connecting flights - just one less flight to have to worry about. If there's no way you can fly down the day before trip insurance is a must!

DON'T do it. Especially if you are flying Southworst, sorry, Southwest. If your flight is cancelled they will put you standby for their next flight - AND if that is full you will be bumped to the next. WHY take a chance?

If Southwest doesn't have a later flight the night before - take a different airline, and don't bother using the points. Save yourself the stress and worry!

I worked for an airline and I was amazed at how many people booked themselves to fly in the day of the cruise (usually giving themselves 3-4 hours to "make" the ship). When flights were delayed or cancelled they were frantic (which I don't blame them). We had a great customer service policy and would purchase tickets for passengers on alternate airlines to get them to their destination in this kind of circumstance....I don't think that Southwest has the same policy.

I am in a similar predicament. I have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of my upcoming cruise on the Vision.

I have a direct flight from JFK at 6:00 am scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 9:00 am(direct).

The funny thing is that I have advised others not to do this and now I have to.

I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that all goes according to plan.:p

I am in a similar predicament. I have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of my upcoming cruise on the Vision.

I have a direct flight from JFK at 6:00 am scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 9:00 am(direct).

The funny thing is that I have advised others not to do this and now I have to.

I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that all goes according to plan.:p

Isnt this the way is goes?

Well if you'd ask no cruise or take this risk..the answer is clear.

You'll be just fine. The airport is very close to the port in FTL

As you can see, there are two points of view. If the flight is non-stop and you have no weather or equipment delays, you SHOULD be ok. But because you are flying using points, if there is a weather or equipment delay, you might have to take out your credit card and pay full fare on another airline - or - miss the ship.

If you absolutely have to fly in the same day, then you should pass on the free flight and book your flights with RCI. In that case, its RCI's responsibility and expense, to get you to the next port.

Print out some alternate flights just in case. Good to have for the return too, in case you are somehow delayed getting off the ship.

Yep! This happened to a lot of folks last year when getting off Oasis. Our time to get off was 8:45am. There was an issue (we heard something going on with customs) and we didn't get off until 10:45am. Lots of people were worried about their flights. Luckily for us, we were staying in FLL another night, but most people we heard talking were flying home that day.

Archived