Just returned: Uniworld's River Victoria in Russia

Rxgrad98

Boy did your pictures ever bring back memories Tim. We did this cruise with AMA on the MS Tolstoy back in 2009. Even though the ship was very old it was spotless and very well kept. We really could not complain about anything. Some of the meals were odd choices but we never starved. Someone mentioned that the cruise director's name was Marina and thought she was from AMA...our CD on the Tolstoy was Marina and she was very good. AMA changed our itinerary a few times also and we had hired a private guide and driver for our free time and we had to change it a couple of times because AMA changed it. Maybe that is to make it hard to hire privately instead of using their optional tours...I don't know but we had an amazing time with our private guide. I would recommend going into St. Basil's Cathedral also. Our friend said this was the one thing they wanted to see and we did go in and really enjoyed it. Like you Tim, my husband and I stood in the middle of Red Square and said "Oh my god we are really here" We are from a small town of 21,000 and that made it seem more of a dream. Not too many men can say they celebrated their 65th in the middle of Red Square...my hubby can lol. Thanks for reliving those memories for us....we took the same pictures 3 years ago!

I reread your message and I really felt for the first time excited to go on this boat

My husband and I are both over 65 and it was my idea to suggest Russia and a river cruise. Our very first cruise ever. We will be staying in a room just like yours, so I am ready that there will be room for our clothes if it is well organized. Question; the hairdryers are they strong, or should we bring our own.

You suggested the Amber room, is that an additional tour?

Again I want to share with you that your post absolutely made me feel excited.

If the weather will be poor i.e. raining and windy, is there enough room in the ship to sit around since our room will not be such a great option.

Thank you for offering to answer questions.

Rubmar

Hi cormike1, glad you enjoyed the pictures and it brought back fond memories. I'm finding that as people look at my pictures and ask questions about them, I appreciate the experience even more. My parents are now wanting to go, so we may be taking them in a few years which I'm perfectly happy to do - will give me the chance to hit the places we missed or would have liked to have had more time at.

Rubmar, the Amber Room is included on the Catherine's Palace tour. I could have spent an entire day just in that one room. It was simply mind blowing. I actually snuck some pictures of it, which is a "no-no." The room itself is an amazing work of art. Our room onboard was small, and at times when both of us where in there getting dressed, it was a tight squeeze, but it's a minor nuisance - certainly nothing to let ruin your trip, especially since you're seldom in your room. There are two areas you can sit inside and watch the scenery, one is the Katarina Bar at the front of the ship, and the other is the Chagall Lounge on the top deck, midship. There were a couple of days on the river that it was cool and windy, so we sat in the Katarina Bar. If you're interested in the onboard activities (lectures, language lessons, port talks, etc), those are held in the Chagall Lounge, so you'll have views of the scenery while attending those. I'm happy to hear you're getting excited about the cruise. We were told that the leaves along the river, and especially around Kizhi Island, start to change color in September, so maybe you'll get to see the Autumn colors. I know if I do go back and do another river cruise, I want to go in the Autumn to see the foliage - I'm sure it would be absolutely beautiful.

Tim

Hey Lisa,

You are NOT allowed to take pictures in the Amber Room. You also can't take pictures in the Armory or the churches at the Kremlin. In the churches along the river ports, you can take pictures, but they want you to pay a fee. Also, if you are visiting a church during a service, you can't take pictures. You CAN take pictures in St. Basil's, The Hermitage, The Church on Spilled Blood, Catherine's Palace (except the Amber Room), St. Isaac's, and Peter & Paul Cathedral in the P&P Fortress.

Most of the rooms/churches will have attendants patrolling. Some, you could tell were bored out of their minds and probably wouldn't have stopped you if you blatantly took a picture right front of them. Others, especially in the Armory, were a little more vigilant. The Armory was the only one I missed sneaking a few pictures of. I'm SO thankful for my little point-and-shoot! :D

Tim

PS - if you have any free time in St. Petersburg and the Church on Spilled Blood is not included in your tour, try to go see the inside - BEAUTIFUL!!

It was funny to read your "no pictures" list. I can't remember where we were but I had not seen any "no picture taking" signs so I raised my camera up to take a picture something and from over in the corner a short squat russian guard came running over yelling "Nyet, Nyet" (sp?) Of course meaning No, No...boy that was kind of embarrasing LOL. I wish I had been able to take pictures of the Amber room...it looked amazing. Unfortunately my camera would have given me away. Thanks for sneaking....they are beautiful and just what I remembered.

My reply just disappeared but here is the answer about photos. I am involved with a museum here in the U.S. and everyone plays by a set of professional guidelines. Amazingly, most of the major museums all over the world also use them.

We aren't used to being charged to take pictures here but it does occur. The reason is to raise funds to maintain the collections or the historic site. You cannot imagine what it costs in the real world to preserve history for others. Its just a reality.

When we were in Russia from the 6th to the 18th taking the cruise on the Tolstoi from SP to Moscow, I paid three photo permits of 50 rubles each and one of 100 rubles. For pete's sake, that a big total of $7.00 US.

As to "No Photos" there are several main reasons. One is legal in that a museum may not own a certain painting or object, hence they cannot let something that they do not own the Copyright to be photographed or reproduced (video, etc.) without being in violation of international intellectual law (the Bern Convention). I am not a lawyer but that is the big fact.

Next is the nature of exposing certain things such as documents, paintings, fabrics, frescos - the list goes on - to light. Light DAMAGES many of the things and the damages cannot be reversed. That's why No Photos or Photos but NO FLASH is in place.

The Amber Room actually falls into a little of both. It is their treasure, they own it and and use it to also promote The Hermitage and Russia but protect their intellectual property. The help maintain it by selling the books and postcards in the giftshop. So, restrain yourself and spend a couple of bucks and get an image that doesn't have 3,000 of your new closest tour group friends in the way. Also, Amber is beautiful but very soft and affected by heat so that's another reason they keep you moving. I can say that because I also am a professional Gemologist who has spent 40+ years around gemstones and jewels.

Bottom line, be a good American visitor, not the ugly kind and show respect for what you are visiting, experiencing and would like for your grandchildren to see if they ever make the same trip.

TEB3

Lisa -

Didn't have much luck in the past when I tried to take pictures of the pictures in the Louvre. It seems as if the lighting in the museum affected my camera. Now, I don't have a great camera - but it does OK. But this is why I buy postcards for something large, or that doesn't have great lighting.

In the Hermitage, I was following a bit behind the guide - gazing at items that we seemed to pass by quite quickly - when I heard the guide say that she wanted us to come over and see the beautiful "cloak", and to make note of how they incorporated peacock feathers... We had gone by some clothing - so thought that this was another piece of clothing... Kept looking around for the "cloak" in the display case - only to realize it was a clock.

The clock was impressive - and did try to take some pictures - but bought the postcard as well....

Fran

Last word from me tonight on the photo thing. I use a Canon SI3 - not up to EOS or any of that range in $$. My wife uses a point and shoot Canon - suitable for pictures of grandchildren, dogs and whatever she wants to shoot.

I NEVER have used flash in this type of situation. My wife covers up the "flash" window with her left index finger when she shoots an interior. When I download everything, a lot looks dark from both cameras.

And Fran's comment is correct ... the lighting on the paintings and objects is for conservation, not your camera.

That is why Adobe created PhotoShop. I clean everything up on the computer and it comes out fine. And, yes even PS Elements will help you do this without having to buy the full-blown program.

Then again, there's CVS, Walgreens or Wally World and they can enhance thing to where you want them to look like you are a full-time pro working for Natl. Geo.

TEB3

Ohhhhh Fran! LOL! :D

I'm confident my new camera can handle the low light. It has a museum setting and only has a manual flash- and I've never been a fan of flashes anyway. It adjusts really well in what I've practiced so far anyway. I also have an excellent photo editing program to help the few that might not be up to muster. However, I am a lover of postcards too and that's a great suggestion.

Unlike many people, I don't take "postcard" pictures when I travel. I like to document my trip, the people, unusual details in things that I see and do. Rarely are my pictures without people, except for a few special scenic shots. So I often get postcards to suppliment my own pictures. I'll probably do that at the museums. Since I was often called "Mona Lisa" growing up (who knows why) I intend to take a picture of me with the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, lol. I'll take a picture of Kaylie "holding" the Eiffel Tower. She's usually the Vanna White in my pictures. Those are the type of pictures I take, lol! :eek: But I'll be sure to look-out for the peacock cloak, ha ha! :p

I'll behave (for the most part). I promised my DH I'd stay out of the gulag!

That clock was impressive. The room it's in isn't too shabby either!! I prefer things like the clock to paintings, but that's just me. I think that's why I preferred The Armory to The Hermitage. You see things like the clock and the jewel incrusted book covers and the palaces themselves and wonder what they could have done for their people with the money that it cost to produce/acquire those things.

Have you played with your camera much, Lisa? Take some good pictures of The Poezenboot in Amsterdam for me! I broke down and bought a new Sony point-and-shoot. I'll be ready for our Rhine River cruise in November now. Hoping to get some good night shots of the Christmas Markets. I'm sure I'll be talking to you before you leave, but if not, have a safe and fun trip!!!

Tim

Rubmar, I found the Visa process terrible and long, and had no help at all from my UK based provider, or my Australian agent. This was not with River cruising, it was small ship sailing of the Baltic which included 3 days in SPB.

Truly I was nearly bald tearing out my hair. The Australian embassy has NO ONE that speaks ANY English - apparently.

So, that's the same for all IMO wanting to go to Russia. And the Passports on and off the boat for customs, ridiculous show of nothing but red tape.

Had a good cruise though :)

We were lucky, our TA (Travel all Russia) made the process very easy- though it was time consuming. I'm glad it's done!

Tim, I haven't got to play photographer as much as I'd like. I took pictures at my counsin's shower which gave me a chance to play with indoor dim lighting. Overall I was pretty pleased. I need to practice being patient, as the camera does take a few seconds to focus properly. I still need to practice some action shots and play with video and some of the fancy schmancy settings before I go- and then clear my card for optimum space. I did order extra batteries and a charger as well as a 2nd memory card. I should be good for about 8-10,000 pictures- depending on how much video I take.

I'm glad you found a good camera. You've got some very exciting trips to capture! Can't wait to see those pictures! I can't go myself, I'll enjoy living vicariously through you! :D

• 2 months later...
On Uniworld Victoria, how many days were you on the ship overnight?

Were there days in Moscow where you stayed in a hotel?

cb

Hi - we stayed on the River Victoria the entire time --> no hotels booked as part of the Uniworld package.

Fran

Yes - you can do your own thing - as long as you are back on board at time of sailing.

When visiting the towns in between SP and Moscow, sometimes there isn't a lot of time - you stop for a few hours, then are off again. And, sometimes not much to see if you don't take their tour. There is lots of area to cover, so there is a fair amount of day time sailing.

It is quite easy to get around on your own in Moscow, as the Metro is close to the dock. Not quite as close in St. Petersburg - but it is accessible.

Lots of tips and information posted in the Roll Call section - as there is a generic roll call for all Russian River cruises 2012, and another one for 2013.

Fran

Edited by franski

Tim, I do not know if you are reading anymore this reviews, but I just returned from the victoria and I had the most amazing time. It met and exceeded my expectations.

I never went to some of the places in the boat you even took pictures of, i.e. the sun deck, but I still loved it. met the most amazing group of people. we laughed, ate and share this most exciting adventure. Your pictures and advice where the best.

thank you.

rubmar

Hi Rubmar!

I'm SO happy to hear you had a great experience. I know you had some concerns before you went. Glad I could help. For us, it was one of the best vacation experiences we've had. I would go back tomorrow if I could!! Welcome back!!

Tim

• 6 months later...
Tim, your review and pictures are most encouraging. Last year there was a lengthy thread on Russian riverboat cruising that painted a very bleak picture of the quality of Russian riverboat ships. Several of our personal friends had a very weak experience on the AMA riverboat. Your Uniworld experience appears to be in a class by itself and your excellent pictures support that impression. I was impressed and encouraged by your excellent photos of menus and food presentation. Thanks very much. Pat

I am thinking of booking an AMA Russia river boat cruise on the Amakaterina. What ship were your firends on? Can you tell me what their problems were? You can reach me at adele@sircoconsultants.com. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Haven't been on the river boat threads in a long time and saw your post. We took the AMA Katarina in September 2011 and posted here all about our experience. If you hit on my CC name you can bring up the old posts. You can also look at the "Member Reviews" section and read all the comments that year about the ship. I will NEVER give AMA another dime as they lied to us from the very beginning with their brochure and with all the calls I made to their office in California. When the bad reviews came in, we couldn't cancel because we would have lost $12,000. We went and enjoyed the sights and young people who worked on the ship. The rest of it was a "Motel 6" experience.

Sheila

Hi,

Haven't been on the river boat threads in a long time and saw your post. We took the AMA Katarina in September 2011 and posted here all about our experience. If you hit on my CC name you can bring up the old posts. You can also look at the "Member Reviews" section and read all the comments that year about the ship. I will NEVER give AMA another dime as they lied to us from the very beginning with their brochure and with all the calls I made to their office in California. When the bad reviews came in, we couldn't cancel because we would have lost $12,000. We went and enjoyed the sights and young people who worked on the ship. The rest of it was a "Motel 6" experience.

Sheila

I agree with Sheila to avoid AMA in Russia. I will never believe anything they say.