Just returned: Uniworld's River Victoria in Russia

Rxgrad98

We're leaving on the August 9th cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow on the River Victoria. Who'd have thought twenty years ago that we'd be taking a vacation in Russia?

Obviously, we're going to need rubles when we get there. Does anyone know if there's an ATM near the boat dock in St. Petersburg?

The best bet is to go to the ATM at the airport. It's right after you go through immigration. As I recall there were a bank of them. Look for the British flag on the screen, press this and it will give you instructions in English. There are some shops near where the River Victoria docks, but they are a hike and not sure about ATMs.

We're leaving on the August 9th cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow on the River Victoria. Who'd have thought twenty years ago that we'd be taking a vacation in Russia?

Obviously, we're going to need rubles when we get there. Does anyone know if there's an ATM near the boat dock in St. Petersburg?

Actually - I took a vacation to the Soviet Union in 1988 as part of a high school trip. Ironically - that was the better of my 2 trips to Russia.

I got some initial rubles from Wells Fargo. At the airport in St. Petersberg, many people got rubles there from an ATM and there are 2 docks in St. Petersburg. The one we docked at also had an ATM.

Edited by Coral

There was a souvenir/snack shop where the Victoria docked. I honestly don't remember if there was an ATM there or not. If you decide to skip the ATMs at the airport, I'm sure you won't have any problem finding one in St. Petersburg. One of the guides should be able to direct you to one. Have a safe and wonderful trip!!!

Tim

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Any advice would be most appreciated. We are looking forward to a river cruise on the Victoria with Uniworld in September.

I've heard the distance from the port to the city is long, especially in Moscow. We have the option to get a room at the Hotel National in Moscow and are considering doing this rather than taking the bus back and forth with the cruise members. We would just meet up with them in town.

Can anyone offer their suggestions about this?

Same question for St Petersburg, but I think the boat will be close to downtown there.

Thanks for any advice!

Heathercliff

Hello,

Any advice would be most appreciated. We are looking forward to a river cruise on the Victoria with Uniworld in September.

I've heard the distance from the port to the city is long, especially in Moscow. We have the option to get a room at the Hotel National in Moscow and are considering doing this rather than taking the bus back and forth with the cruise members. We would just meet up with them in town.

Can anyone offer their suggestions about this?

Same question for St Petersburg, but I think the boat will be close to downtown there.

Thanks for any advice!

Heathercliff

I'm curious about how you have the option of staying in a hotel in Moscow. Is this an offer through Uniworld? We loved our trip on the Victoria but it would have been great to have stayed in a hotel in Moscow so be able to explore the city a bit at night. We did use the metro from the port in St. Petersburg one day when we had some free time.

The option of a night or two in Moscow was not offered by Uniworld. We would use points from another membership and cash to get the room. So basically we would be paying for 2 rooms each night, the boat and also the hotel. And we would have to buy our own food too since we won't be on the boat. But for this once in a lifetime experience, we are considering.

It might work out, if the excursions are the same as we had in Moscow. The first day our bus passed near the Kremlin on the way to interesting stops away from the central area before returning for free time in the Red Square area, a tour of the Metro, and ending at the Arbat. The second day was totally free, with shuttles to and from central Moscow. The third day featured a tour of the Kremlin; we cast off late that afternoon. So if you could arrange to be picked up the first day and to meet the Uniworld group the third day with your luggage, you could enjoy the tours. Also, they would need to bring audio head sets so you can hear your guide.

You're right--it's a once in a lifetime opportunity so good luck! I'd call Uniworld to run it by them.

Hi,

When we cruised with Uniworld, we were picked up in Moscow by the Uniworld staff & transported to a hotel where we met the other "cruisers". From there we headed to the cruise at port. It was all included and went very smoothly. Have you checked this option with Uniworld? If you want to stay in Moscow before the cruise begins you should stay in the hotel they recommend because that's where the bus departs from. It's not really necessary as the boat docks in Moscow for 3 nights so you travel around Moscow for 2 full days before leaving up the Volga.