Vancouver Hotel Question

nanrandy

We are taking the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska on Sept 15, arriving in Vancouver on Sept 22. We then need to stay overnight and catch the Norwegian Pearl from Vancouver to L.A. on Sept 23.

We are looking for suggestions for hotels that are close to the cruise pier and not too terribly expensive for our overnight stay. I have heard of a place called Victorian Hotel, 514 Homer Street. It seems to be suspiciously cleap, at about $85-100 per night.

Thanks for the help.

Did you check trip advisor for info o that one?

I am not familiar with it.

I know that if you are comfortable with Hotwire you can choose any of the West End hotels and be very confident that you will get a great property.

That hotel is more like a glorified bed and breakfast on the edge of a part of the City that I have trouble recommending to people and only because it was mentioned in another post do I even know of its existence - if you are looking for something in that price range and that is clean and in a better area - try the YWCA - better location.

You are most likely sailing in an out of Ballantyne pier - there are no hotels near there as it is in the industrial part of the port.

About a $10.00 taxi ride to the downtown core.

As for hotwire - you might find something in the Entertainment district for that price - hotels in the ED are older remodeled properties but the street with over 2000 bars seats in about a 4 block area can be noisy - it is reasonably safe as it is well patrolled but if you don't want a noisy one night stay look at some of the other option - if you see some other hotels just mention them and us locals will be more than happy to give you some feedback.

Cheers

Dennis

I just did a quick look at hotwire for that date and the cheapest in the downtown core and it is in the entertainment district and it was around $125.00.

There are 3 ships in on the 22nd and 4 on the 23rd so rooms will probably be at a premium and prices higher and therefore less likely to have big discounts.

Cheers

Dennis

We are doing an almost similar cruise to you and more or less around the same dates. I got some good recommendations on this West Coast forum. I ended up contacting a few hotels but the one that was the most pleasant to deal with and got back to me with good info was The Blue Horizon on Robson Street.

I actually ended up phoning them with a question and they offered me a room for $149 using a CAA/AAA rate. I was initially enquiring about a law enforcement rate.

What really swung it for us was also the fact that the Hop on Hop off trolley tour bus has a stop right outside the hotel which means we have ease of access to do some touring on the one day we have in Vancouver.

I was advised its about $15 taxi fare to Canada Place from there so Im not complaining. Its a Boutique hotel so not part of a big chain but if you filter through the chaff on review websites like Tripadvisor it gets good solid reviews from frequent posters/travellers.

I also posted a question about it on Tripadvisor and got good recommendations from Vancouver residents and tourists to that part of the country.

Its not $100 but Vancouver like alot of major cities in Canada is a pretty pricey place to stay and compared to a lot of the more fancier hotels its a pretty good rate.

Pete

I also have checked the usual suspects, Hotwire, Priceline and Hotels and they echo what Ut has said, to keep it under $135 in the downtown core other than the Y is a pretty tough call. You will find a few less expensive hotels/motels out around the airport or Burnaby but this will involve some commuting on the Canada Line or SkyTrain. Hotwire is showing a 4* in the Downtown-West zone for that weekend at $133 which usually ends up being the Sheraton at Wall Centre, Sutton Place or the Westin Bayshore Inn....if your budget stretches to that.

• 2 years later...

We just returned from our Alaska cruise and stayed two nights at the Victorian Hotel. We were in the family suite (6 people). We had a wonderful stay, front office was very helpful with Resturant recommendations and getting us a taxi. A continental breakfast is included and free wifi. it's in the Gastown area, close to a number of restaurants and caught the Big Bus just a few blocks up by the library. Taxi from port was $6, a few of the youner ones in the group walked the 1 mile with luggage.

We just returned from our Alaska cruise and stayed two nights at the Victorian Hotel. We were in the family suite (6 people). We had a wonderful stay, front office was very helpful with Resturant recommendations and getting us a taxi. A continental breakfast is included and free wifi. it's in the Gastown area, close to a number of restaurants and caught the Big Bus just a few blocks up by the library. Taxi from port was $6, a few of the youner ones in the group walked the 1 mile with luggage.

How far is that hotel from the airport? Trying to figure out when we come back from our Alaska cruise and staying the night and flying home the next day but not sure if we should stay in the city or near airport. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on hotels near the airport? Thanks for the help.

How far is that hotel from the airport? Trying to figure out when we come back from our Alaska cruise and staying the night and flying home the next day but not sure if we should stay in the city or near airport. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on hotels near the airport? Thanks for the help.

The Victorian is about a 35 min and $35 cab ride from YVR, if you wish you can walk the 4 blocks down to Waterfront station and catch the Canada Line out to YVR for $4/person and with walk time and wait time I would allow about 45 min. Most of the hotels out near the airport have a free shuttle to the airport, if you want something that is more modest in price then you may care to look at the Best Western-Abercorn, Coast Airport, and the Accent Inn. All of these are showing a mid-July rate of under $125.00 but you are removed from the sights of attractions of Vancouver. However, the way around this is to check your luggage at Priority Luggage Service at Canada Place or go to one of the downtown hotels and give the bell desk a nice tip to hold your luggage, go off and explore the city and then head out to you airport hotel later in the day.

The Victorian is about a 35 min and $35 cab ride from YVR, if you wish you can walk the 4 blocks down to Waterfront station and catch the Canada Line out to YVR for $4/person and with walk time and wait time I would allow about 45 min. Most of the hotels out near the airport have a free shuttle to the airport, if you want something that is more modest in price then you may care to look at the Best Western-Abercorn, Coast Airport, and the Accent Inn. All of these are showing a mid-July rate of under $125.00 but you are removed from the sights of attractions of Vancouver. However, the way around this is to check your luggage at Priority Luggage Service at Canada Place or go to one of the downtown hotels and give the bell desk a nice tip to hold your luggage, go off and explore the city and then head out to you airport hotel later in the day.

Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. Is there a place at Canada Place to hold luggage? That sounds like the perfect thing to do and then like you said head to a airport hotel after seeing the city. Thanks again.

Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. Is there a place at Canada Place to hold luggage? That sounds like the perfect thing to do and then like you said head to a airport hotel after seeing the city. Thanks again.

Yes, it is called Priority Luggage Services and it is in the Canada Place cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a pre cruise stay for 3 nights prior to our Radiance cruise on May 29, 2015. We are looking at the St Regis and have a couple questions. Has anyone stayed there and what is your opinion? What would the taxi fare be to the cruise terminal?

The St Regis is one of the older hotels in the city that has been painstakingly upgraded - it is adjacent to Pacific Center and to our rapid transit system. Putterdude will likely be around later as he has more experience in this area that me.

A taxi would be less than $10.00 as you are only 3 - 4 blocks to Canada Place. It is easily walked - level to slightly downhill.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis