Mendenhall Glacier Trail Question

Debbie42467

Hello All,

3 years ago we wanted to walk to Nugget Falls, we had to walk around barricades. I think I read someone's review and they mentioned that there are paved trails. Are there paved trails to Nugget Falls?

Thank you,

Debbie

:)

Hello All,

3 years ago we wanted to walk to Nugget Falls, we had to walk around barricades. I think I read someone's review and they mentioned that there are paved trails. Are there paved trails to Nugget Falls?

Thank you,

Debbie

:)

How far of a hike is it to Nugget Falls? Just wondering if we will have time to do it!

Thanks!

A correction: the Nugget Falls Trail is not paved. It is broad, barrier-free and well-maintained, but the surface is gravel.

The distance to Nugget Falls from the Visitor Center is three-fourths of a mile.

There are two fully-paved trails - Photo Point Trail and Steep Creek Trail - and the Trail of Time is partially paved.

How far of a hike is it to Nugget Falls? Just wondering if we will have time to do it!

Thanks!

Allow an hour. It may not be doable if on a cruiseline Mendenhall tour. those usually have only a 30-45 minute stop.

We just hiked to Nugget Falls (well hiked is sort of a loose term, more like strolled) in May. When you are walking, there is a split in the trail and there is a sign that says "Both trails go to Nugget Falls". We went to the right, through the woods and it was so beautiful. The trail isn't paved, but is a well groomed surface...

On the way back we walked the "beach way" which seems what most people do on their way out and we had to cross two small creeks by stepping on rocks.

My point is, if you think you need a paved trail, stick to the trail that goes closer to the edge of the hill....and not along the beach.

We just hiked to Nugget Falls (well hiked is sort of a loose term, more like strolled) in May. When you are walking, there is a split in the trail and there is a sign that says "Both trails go to Nugget Falls". We went to the right, through the woods and it was so beautiful. The trail isn't paved, but is a well groomed surface...

On the way back we walked the "beach way" which seems what most people do on their way out and we had to cross two small creeks by stepping on rocks.

My point is, if you think you need a paved trail, stick to the trail that goes closer to the edge of the hill....and not along the beach.

How did you get from the cruise ship to the Visitor Center? Did you take the bus?

I got the below reply from the CruisePortInsider - but it looks like the "city" bus doesn't drop off as close as the Glacier Express Bus. Thanks for your comments... it sounds like the $16 is $$ well-spent!

Thanks for writing to us.

The bus to the Mendenhall Valley doesn’t go directly to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center; you’ll be dropped off about a mile and a half from the Visitor Center, at Glacier Spur Road. Just tell the bus driver that you’re going to the Visitor Center. If you’re taking the bus, be prepared for changing weather conditions.

You can take either Route 3 or 4.

FYI, the bus fare increases to $1.75 beginning in July.

Here’s the link to the bus schedule: http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf

Have a wonderful trip to Juneau!

A local tip: If you walk from the docks to the Archives or the Federal Building, you can pick up the Capital Transit "Express" bus that travels non-stop from downtown to the Nugget Mall, then transfer to the Mendenhall Loop/Valley bus. That shaves the time to 35-45 minutes.

A local tip: If you walk from the docks to the Archives or the Federal Building, you can pick up the Capital Transit "Express" bus that travels non-stop from downtown to the Nugget Mall, then transfer to the Mendenhall Loop/Valley bus. That shaves the time to 35-45 minutes.

Thanks for the tip! Is that the $1.75 bus?

any help for directions from the Mendenhall Glacier visitor's cetner to the shrine?

You have a car?

You will come out from the visitor center, and make a right, go back to the main highway. Follow it around to the right. After Alaska U, you will see St. Theresa's on the left, with a small parking lot. Get a map from the dock visitor center, and maybe your car rental vendor?

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at the schedule, and am a little confused.

If I took the MGT to the glacier, and public bus back. What is the route back to the cruise ship area? I can't figure out the bus or the times.

Thanks.

Archived