Wine Question - Britannia Restaurant

days2do

This is my first post so here goes. We are on our first ever shipborne adventure on the QM2 WB 27 Jul. Bit of a numpty question. My wife doesn't drink however I like one or two glasses of red with my dinner. Obviously buying by the glass is more expensive than by the bottle; but if I tried to finish a bottle on my own in one sitting I wouldn't see much of the rest of the evening!! Is it the 'done' thing to ask for part bottles of wine to be keep for the next evening etc?

Thanks in anticipation.

Days

This is my first post so here goes. We are on our first ever shipborne adventure on the QM2 WB 27 Jul. Bit of a numpty question. My wife doesn't drink however I like one or two glasses of red with my dinner. Obviously buying by the glass is more expensive than by the bottle; but if I tried to finish a bottle on my own in one sitting I wouldn't see much of the rest of the evening!! Is it the 'done' thing to ask for part bottles of wine to be keep for the next evening etc?

Thanks in anticipation.

Days

It may not be necessary to ask for the wine to be stored but it is certainly nicer to do so and the bonus is that it will be there at the table when you arrive the following evening so there is none of this waiting for a drink nonsense.

I will chip in by confirming I do this too. I usually say at the point of ordering that I will not finish it in one evening but to keep topping up my glass until I say to stop. The sommelier is always happy to comply and confirm that they will look after it until the following evening. After the first night they know your routine and nothing further needs said.

M-AR

Thanks guys, thats the answer I was hoping for but didn't want to show myself or Mrs Days up. Whilst Im here, I understand that on the first day, there is a drill at about 16:00 followed by leaving port at 17:00, is it a bit of a rush then to be in dinner by 18:00 on the first evening (we are on early sitting to suit Mrs Days constitution)?

Thanks guys, thats the answer I was hoping for but didn't want to show myself or Mrs Days up. Whilst Im here, I understand that on the first day, there is a drill at about 16:00 followed by leaving port at 17:00, is it a bit of a rush then to be in dinner by 18:00 on the first evening (we are on early sitting to suit Mrs Days constitution)?

As you are heading Westbound the departure from Southampton is nice but not particularly memorable so getting into dinner on time should be no problem. The advice given about a 6.30 dining curfew is accurate but if you arrive that late the chances are that your tablemates will be a fair way through their meals or worst still will have waited for you. I would try to get there as close to 6pm as possible or as an alternative eat in King's Court buffet which a lot do on the first evening I understand.

As everyone has said, the bottle will be kept for the following evening.

Be prepared to be "WOWED" by Queen Mary 2.

The are pictures of her interiors via the link below.

Please, if you've other questions, ask them, there are some wonderful, friendly people here.

Bon Voyage! Enjoy Queen Mary 2.

Archived