Any Snow at Skagway Summit?

Debbie42467

We were just there on the 30th, and there was so much snow & gof it was blinding! We drove to Emerald Lake, and it was gorgeous. Saw a lot of wildlife too! I will go through photos this week-end, and try to get a few to you! :) Enjoy the beauty of Alaska!

BTW we bought a sandwich and cookies from Lemon Rose Bakery, and there food was delish!

The Summit and Emerald Lake/Yukon are 2 different areas aren't they??

The summit is just the overlook above the town, you can see the Cruiseship from there

Summit

event_126424162.jpeg

There was snow up in the Yukon, where Emerald Lake was...

event_125284142.jpeg

there was snow at some of the places we stopped to take pictures

event_125250452.jpeg

I touched some snow LOL

I was there friday May 25

The summit is just the overlook above the town, you can see the Cruiseship from there

I was there friday May 25

Yes they are different places, however, you can't get to Emerald Lake without using the Summit. I was just letting her know how far we drove.

The summit was very foggy on the 30th and there was snow everywhere. I will get my photos sorted out by the week-end and post a few if you would like. It was less foggy on the way back (around 3:30), but was crazy foggy on the way up around 10:15 or so.

Yes they are different places, however, you can't get to Emerald Lake without using the Summit. I was just letting her know how far we drove.

The summit was very foggy on the 30th and there was snow everywhere. I will get my photos sorted out by the week-end and post a few if you would like. It was less foggy on the way back (around 3:30), but was crazy foggy on the way up around 10:15 or so.

Thanks for the great information.

Three years ago we encountered smoke and fog. While driving up the summit it was so thick we couldn't even see the train. The air was so smoky on the ship they announced for those who have breathing problems may want to stay inside.

Debbie

:)

Summit

event_126424162.jpeg

This is not the White Pass summit, which is the only "summit" reference in this area. The summit was another 20++ miles from this point.

This is a photo taken from the Dyea Road.

This is not the White Pass summit, which is the only "summit" reference in this area. The summit was another 20++ miles from this point.

This is a photo taken from the Dyea Road.

Sorry...I think that was called the "overlook"?? where you look over the town and the ship..it was our last stop before return to Skagway

The day I was there it was so foggy that the people on the train saw nothing...they also broke down and got a cap for their problems

the train broke down on the way back too I heard

One of my gals was on the morning train and very disappointed

We drove through the fog and got up to the Yukon and it was great

Archived