South Pacific, what month?

We are planning to book the Paul Gaugin for spring of 2006. We were planning on April or May. Is one month better than the other as far as experiencing any rough seas? I assume the weather on the islands themselves is beautiful most of the time.

Also, I had called RSSC and they said the schedule for the spring for that itinerary won't be out until October or November. That seemed fairly late to me. Based on experienced RSSC cruisers, is this on target?

Thanks. We are so looking forward to booking this, I just want to get started!!!!

Jan thru April are suppose to be the rainier months but

I think you will fine that it really does not change much anytime you go.

Maybe a little warmer by 5 degrees but that is it.

Unless there happens to be a storm you do not have changes in the ocean.

Anytime is good.

Might as well go when it is discounted a little.

The latest news from my TA is that PG 2006 schedules are now expected to be released on Monday, May 16. (Previously, we were told May 1.) I am not sure whether that is for all of 2006 or not.

I've been on the PG once in mid-April, ad once in late May. The difference wasn't in the roughness of the seas, but in the heat and humidity. It was definitely hotter and muggier in April. I'm going back in two weeks again, so I can report afterwards to see if this holds true. On the May trip, we ate frequently at the Grill, which is outdoors, but on the May trip, it was often too hot out there.

As for storms, I'm not sure if there's a season for rough weather, but I believe it's the winter and early spring. But you can have storms any time--our first trip there was a storm the afternoon of the Taha'a motu--we had to vacate the island, and the ship sailed early for Bora Bora. Being tropical, rain can come any time, but the closer you are to the summer months, the better your chances of dry weather, I believe.

Sometimes there are deal earlier in the spring--I would still go back at that time if the price was right, but just know that it will be more uncomfortable, at least on land.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to see the PG with free air deal pop up again soon. It seems like Radisson has this special somewhat regularly. I would imagine it coincides with low season for FP? I think hi season is from approximately June to early November - does this seems right?

Yes, if there are specials it will definitely be in early spring, although possibliy other times too--when we went in April 2003 it was free air. But it's a bit doubtful that you'll see the free air deals again, since they restructured the fares for 2005. You'll more likely get some other type of discount. We'll have to see when the 2006 fares go up!

Archived