Vancouver ???

ajpmom

We will be arriving late on Friday and have reserved the Sheraton by the airport. Is is easier/faster to take their shuttle back to the airport to board the sky train or can we catch it close the the hotel to go downtown on Sat morning? We have reservations on Sat night at the Coast Plaza. Hopefully both good hotels!!

We will be 2 adults and 2 kids with 5 or so suitcases and carry ons.

Thanks for the help

The Brighouse station of the Canada Line is walkable but it is two very, very long blocks, what I am wondering is if the hotel's shuttle wouldn't take you to the station? But either way you still have the issue of getting from the Vancouver Centre station or Waterfront station to the Coast Plaza hotel and given the number of people in your party and luggage if you wouldn't be as well to take a mini-van taxi for $35/$40 from the Sheraton to the Coast Plaza?

Both hotels are fine and I am sure you will enjoy them.

The Sheraton Hotel to Brighouse Station is a 5 minute walk level walk. On a Saturday morning, the train will be fairly quiet unlike a weekday where it is usually lined up 10 people deep at each door and standing room only on the train.

We will be arriving late on Friday and have reserved the Sheraton by the airport. Is is easier/faster to take their shuttle back to the airport to board the sky train or can we catch it close the the hotel to go downtown on Sat morning? We have reservations on Sat night at the Coast Plaza. Hopefully both good hotels!!

We will be 2 adults and 2 kids with 5 or so suitcases and carry ons.

Thanks for the help

On a Saturday, Skytrain from the airport to downtown is $7.50 (fare + $5 airport surcharge) but from Brighouse station it is only $2.50; that makes it a pretty easy decision in my mind. It's a few longish blocks (east then south), but all level walking. Also possible that the hotel's airport shuttle might drop you at Brighouse or Lansdowne station if you ask nicely (especially if you flip the driver a couple of $$), but more likely they take the back way (Gilbert Rd bridge) into the airport.

• 1 month later...

Hello, will be joining the Island Princess on August 29 for a cruise to Alaska. Our plane gets us into the airport at 1:30am of the same day. Yes, you read it right. 1:30am in the morning.

Check-in does not begin until 12nn, right? I checked with the Fairmont, which is connected to the airport, and was quoted a day use room for 99 dollars...but we can't check in until 8am!!! :(

We're coming off a fairly long flight and are unfamiliar with the Vancouver airport. Do we wait it out? Is there an arrival lounge? Or do you suggest we bite the bullet and check-in to an airport hotel...for less than 8 hours?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know anything about Vancouver but if it was me I would research the hotels by the airport and reserve a room for the night of the 28th. I would then call the hotel and tell them that you wouldn't be there until 2AM so they don't think you are a no show. You will be so much more relaxed before your cruise if you can clean up and catch a little sleep. Have a nice late breakfast in the AM and call a taxi.

...Yes, you read it right. 1:30am in the morning... We're coming off a fairly long flight and are unfamiliar with the Vancouver airport. Do we wait it out? Is there an arrival lounge?....

The airport all but shuts down overnight. Starbucks, everything is closed - not sure where you can wait but it won't be a comfortable wait, that's for sure. I woud also bite the bullet and get a room where you can go to right away. Tell them of your late arrival and they will hold the room for you.

You arrive on the 29th at 1:30 am? And you cruise is same day? If so, I would definitely advise taking the hotel room for the 28th, getting a shower and some sleep, and have a nice breakfast in the morning. You can head to the pier by 11 am and start the check-in procedure. You can be onboard by noon and enjoying your first day, which you have paid for.

Check-in for Princess ships usually begins about 1030 with boarding between 1130 and noon. The Delta Airport Hotel which is on the eastern periphery of the airport offers a 24/7 shuttle to and from the airport terminal and may be something you would care to look into. There are also any number of other hotels closeby the airport.

Archived