Fiji

no fuss travel

I am going to ask here since there is not much response to others on the Port forum.

Anyone found any good private guides for Lautoka and Suva? We simply do not like going on the ship's tours. Too many people to get on and off the bus:D and some people just don't come back when they should.:mad:

We were in Fiji in March. There are lots of private tours at the dock in both Suva and Lautoka. The rep who came on board was also selling tours ( we were very surprised). We booked a day tour to a private island from Lautoka. I forget what we paid but it was very reasonable and included transport and boat ride to the island as well as lunch which was very tasty ( and I hate buffets).

We went snorkeling from a glass bottom boat. There was live music and we danced in the sand (Ballroom!). I would go back in a heartbeat.

They had kayaks and also other activities for an extra charge. The lounge chairs were an extra charge as well but nominal.

The tourist office was very well organized. They had a large show dockside as we were preparing to leave. Lots of fun.

In Suva we just walked around and didn't do much We were told the beach was a distance away and we just wandered around the town. Wasted day, but sometimes that is what the other half wants......

Mo

We were also in Fiji in March on the Coral Seas cruise. In Suva, we booked a city and country tour from the rep who came on board to hand out maps and answer questions. We had an air-conditioned van for ten; O's group was on a non-air-conditioned school bus. We paid $35 as opposed to O's $105. We visited a beautiful lodge in the rain forest, about 10 miles outside of the city. Next we went to a local market and had a tour of the "rustic" complex, including learning about some fruits and veggies we had never heard of. We had a scenic view stop and, back in Suva, a stop at the entrance to the palace grounds to pose with the guard. (The palace and grounds are closed to the public.). The tour ended at a local mall for ice cream (price not included) but DH and I skipped that and just walked the two blocks to the ship. The tour was billed at 3 hours but ran about 3 1/2. Our guide was very knowledgeable and, while riding from place to place, taught us a great deal about Fiji's culture, history and politics. This morning tour was one of our favorites. We then spent the afternoon walking through Suva city, although there is not much to it. BTW, the weather was hot and humid, but we didn't let it hold us back. Just drink plenty of water; bottles are available free of charge as you exit the ship.

Harriet

In Suva, we booked the tour on board. It was on deck four (Regatta) between destination and guest services, where the local rep set up a desk to answer questions and distribute maps. When we asked for suggestions about what to do, she informed us of the tour options (one was a two-hour city only) and we signed up and paid right then and there. We did tip the guide at the end of the morning as he was excellent.

Harriet

We paid right on the ship and I was shocked as well. The outing we did to the private island sold out on the ship!

The only buses in Tonga are the ones used by the locals. When a ship comes in, they pull them off the roads for the tours and leave the locals with no transportation.

Mo

Archived