20 lbs. in 20 weeks

Hi everyone! So a little background story on me....

I'm 28 years old and my husband and I are going on our very first cruise (Oasis) in October. I have lost about 65 lbs. total from my highest weight over the last two years (slow and steady)... the past couple of months, I have stalled and kind of lost my determination and have been slacking off. Ideally, I would like to lose another 30-40 lbs. total but my goal is 20 more pounds in 20 weeks (the number of weeks until we set sail!). I guess I am just posting because any words of advice/encouragement would be helpful! This is also a way for me to make myself be accountable. Thanks everyone!

Hi pretty! I definitely understand where you're coming from as far as accountability. Congrats on the weight loss so far - 65 lbs is amazing! I am so jealous that you and your hubby are going on Oasis. Good luck also on starting a family. :D

Great job on the 65lbs!

Keep up the great work and you can reach your next goal! I sail in 17 weeks, starting weight watchers this week, wish me luck! I want to lose 30 lbs, I know I probably won't in 17 weeks but I'd love a good start.:)

Diana

I'm at the opposite end. As I age, I'm now on my way to 61, my weight keeps going up. I've always struggled to lose 20 lbs and keep it off. On March 2 I started a new weight loss journey. I board the Princess Star on July 1 and want to zip line with the best of them! As of today I've lost 32 lbs. It's been easy and hard! and expensive. I have no will power so I had to take the carb craving away or at least manage it. This diet requires no exercise, altho I've joined a zumba class and hope there will be one on the ship. I buy food packets that I make my meals from. Each pkg. contains a protein powder as well as a healthy food. So I eat a pancake in the am, a bowl of soy protein chili and salad for lunch and a 7 oz lean protein of choice with veggies and salad for dinner with a protein hot choc. for bedtime snack. I choose those because they taste the best to me. A week of each of those is close to $30+ so it's not for everyone, but has worked for me. A tip I can give that will help anyone is the sauces and dressings I have found that have no calories. or fat, or gluten. Walden Farms makes them. I find them in Kroger in the dietetic department near the pharmacy. the pancake syrup is wonderful as well as bbq sauce. the sesame ginger dressing also works as an marinade for chicken and shrimp. I'm hoping to lose a few more before cruise as I know I'll gain while on it. Then it's back to the diet to lose that. It will always be a part of my life because this time I don't want to go back to heavy me!!!

I would put the brand on here but not sure I should. the starter pkg. comes with vitamins and other healthy stuff:)

Happy dieting!!

:) Good job on your weight loss so far. Maybe you could do like a daily journal here and write down what you eat each day, there seems to be some people on this site that know alot about nutrition and if they see what your eating they can give you pointers on how to tweek your diet in your favor. Keeps you on your toes also. Good Luck on the last 20.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!! Thanks for the replies :) Honestly, I haven't done as good as hoped... it was TOM for me and I just wanted sweets, sweets, sweets. I think I am going to significantly limit my carbs over the next 2 weeks and gradually add back in whole grains and healthy carbs. For me, once I start eating the sweets, etc. I can't seem to stop!!!

How about you all?!

Hey pretty, given you have lost 65 lbs in the past, you know what you need to do to make it work. I suggest getting back to tracking your daily food intake (myfitnesspal.com is working great for me), increase the water and the exercise. Set those goals and stick to it....you can do it!!

Jerry

Hey everyone!! Thanks for the replies :) Honestly, I haven't done as good as hoped... it was TOM for me and I just wanted sweets, sweets, sweets. I think I am going to significantly limit my carbs over the next 2 weeks and gradually add back in whole grains and healthy carbs. For me, once I start eating the sweets, etc. I can't seem to stop!!!

How about you all?!

Great job on the weight loss.

As far as the sweets, I'm in the same boat. I'll eat one of those small chocolate bars, and then I'll need another, and pretty soon they're all gone.

I've found that Sweet Tarts type of candy gives me some control. I can only eat one or two, then the tartness tells me I don't really want more.

I found that if I eat brown rice with dinner, I don't have those strong late night cravings like I do with white rice or potatoes.

I lost forty pounds and it started by two changes in my life. I bought a bicycle and I stopped drinking soda pop.

As I started losing weight I started caring more about my weight. One thing I do is try to be proud of what is in my grocery cart. No more strolls down the packaged aisles, I try to stay in the produce and meat aisles only, no more cookies or chips.

Recently I had two vacations trips in a short time. I regained 15 pounds! Yikes! I have since lost half of them and hope I will lose the other half in a few weeks. I think the trick is to stay active, my house has never been cleaner.

Good luck on those next twenty pounds. You'll feel better and you won't have any guilt when you tell the MDR waiter, "Why yes, I think I will have desert."

Oh Susan, I know the feeling of working so hard for months on end to lose weight and in a matter of days you easily gain 10-15lbs back. I hate that. I have lost 10... Slowly. Have at least 10 left to lose. Was struggling with losing weight during the week then putting it all back on over the weekend. This went on for months. I finally got sick of it and have been doing really well.

I think what's helped me is knowing how long it takes to lose and how quickly you can put weight on. It doesn't seem fair but that's the way it is. I'm not cruising until Jan 12 so I have time to lose, which also means lot of time to possibly gain it all back.

How about you all?!

Congrats on your 65 pound weight loss. That is fantastic. Your goal of losing one pound a week is very reasonable. Even though it sounds like you had a hard time these initial weeks I'm sure you can do it with the plan above. Sweets are crazy aren't they! They are my biggest nemesis. I've decided I'm not good with moderation and sweets so have decided to completely cut them out. Plus, when I don't eat sweets I feel so much more energized.

Good luck with your weight loss.

The important thing is to change things up as often the body slows down when you are on a diet.

Try to change up some of the foods while keeping the calories in check and either exercising more or changing up how you exercise.

Keith

Hey Pretty, I actually joined Cruise Critic to send a reply to you. I just wanted to tell you that my husband and I were on the Oasis in March. We had both vowed that we would continue our exercise routine and eat sensibly. Both in our 60's, we have finally decided to take the bull by the horns and get healthy for good! There are some fantastic ways to do that... Lunch choice: Park Cafe in Central Park has a wonderful salad station, where they make the salad as you point to what you want in it. We also spent much time relaxing in the Solarium and they have a wonderful Bistro that has healthy food and their enhanced water is great. I brought my own Tervis Tumbler and refilled all day long. The foo-foo cocktails will get you though, so be careful on the alcohol. We walked every morning and hit the gym also; not crazy workouts, just spent about an hour total. The end result was my husband stayed the same weight and I lost a pound. It can be done. Good luck and enjoy the cruise. Don't miss the "Rising Tide" in the center of the Promenade.:cool: Enjoy!

Hey Pretty, I actually joined Cruise Critic to send a reply to you. I just wanted to tell you that my husband and I were on the Oasis in March. We had both vowed that we would continue our exercise routine and eat sensibly. Both in our 60's, we have finally decided to take the bull by the horns and get healthy for good! There are some fantastic ways to do that... Lunch choice: Park Cafe in Central Park has a wonderful salad station, where they make the salad as you point to what you want in it. We also spent much time relaxing in the Solarium and they have a wonderful Bistro that has healthy food and their enhanced water is great. I brought my own Tervis Tumbler and refilled all day long. The foo-foo cocktails will get you though, so be careful on the alcohol. We walked every morning and hit the gym also; not crazy workouts, just spent about an hour total. The end result was my husband stayed the same weight and I lost a pound. It can be done. Good luck and enjoy the cruise. Don't miss the "Rising Tide" in the center of the Promenade.:cool: Enjoy!

Thanks for joining just to reply to me- I so appreciate that!! Those are WONDERFUL suggestions that I will have to try on our Oasis cruise!! Could you tell me more about the enhanced water at the Solarium? Is it flavored water? Is it free or is there an extra charge? My husband and I have already said that we are going to do 45 minutes-1 hour of exercise daily (that can include just walking the track or whatever). Again, thanks so much for your suggestions!!

The enhanced water is a flavored water and I am not sure if there were any calories in it or not...but it was very refreshing and it is free. You must remember to get your last refill before 3:00 pm, as that is when they shut down to get the restaurant ready for dinner. Now my rep told me that they were going to change that restaurant to something different, as that was one of the specialty restaurants that wasn't to popular for dinners. The walking track is very nice and under cover... the lifeboats are on that deck, as is the dining room... the gym is one deck up or the entrance is a stairway from the walking deck. It is a phenomenol ship, as is it sister ship, the Allure... I don't know what dining you may have, but if you chose the anytime, you can still make reservations. And if you have not yet booked your shows, you can do so in your cabin on the TV. Hairspray was fantastic and of Broadway quality. Great job on your weight loss. It is a struggle, I know, I have been yoyo-ing for years. My mindset is to go into the golden years physically fit...I am getting there. Got through the 4th without a weight gain. It is all mental... if you get that set, the rest comes natural. Good luck and have a great cruise. Keep in touch.

Hi Pretty. Way to go on losing 65lbs. I wish I was there right now. I'm just starting my workouts and healthy eating. I hope to lose 80 lbs or more. It is a inspiration to hear others have lost the lbs and how they do it. Like I said I'm just starting out and I was given a script for the hospital wellness center so I could workout. My first day I go on one of the elliptical machines and try it out. Something didn't seem right so I got off and then I hear a little 90 yr old man say, "Honey, did you realize you were going backwards on that?" LOL Then he helps me adjust the seat on the stationary bike. OMG It is sad when I need assistance from the elderly to workout. But whatever, I will keep going. You keep up the good work you are doing and I will check in to follow you and let you know how I'm doing.

Andi:D

Mambener- Thanks for writing back!!! I'll have to keep that in mind about the enhanced water! Great idea about taking your Tervis for refills.... I should do that! My husband and I are SO excited about going on our first cruise.... I can't wait to explore this ship that I've heard so many wonderful things about!

Hi Andi!! Thanks for writing! Hey, we have ALL started out at the gym and totally used a piece of equipment wrong... I've had more than my fair share! As you said, the main thing is that you WENT... and you're going to go BACK! That, in and of itself, is a huge accomplishment! I know 80 lbs might seem like it's so far away.... for me, I set mini goals. "Let me just focus on losing 10 lbs.... then, let me focus on losing another 10 lbs., etc." For me, that kept me from feeling so overwhelmed. Please do check back and let me know how you're doing!

As for me, I cut out my carbs significantly since last Tuesday (no breads, sugar, potatoes) and I'm down 12 lbs! Crazy! While I know that most of that is probably water weight, I'll take it!!

Mambener- Thanks for writing back!!! I'll have to keep that in mind about the enhanced water! Great idea about taking your Tervis for refills.... I should do that! My husband and I are SO excited about going on our first cruise.... I can't wait to explore this ship that I've heard so many wonderful things about!

Hi Andi!! Thanks for writing! Hey, we have ALL started out at the gym and totally used a piece of equipment wrong... I've had more than my fair share! As you said, the main thing is that you WENT... and you're going to go BACK! That, in and of itself, is a huge accomplishment! I know 80 lbs might seem like it's so far away.... for me, I set mini goals. "Let me just focus on losing 10 lbs.... then, let me focus on losing another 10 lbs., etc." For me, that kept me from feeling so overwhelmed. Please do check back and let me know how you're doing!

As for me, I cut out my carbs significantly since last Tuesday (no breads, sugar, potatoes) and I'm down 12 lbs! Crazy! While I know that most of that is probably water weight, I'll take it!!

Thanks, Pretty. I think I will start thinking in small amounts. Ten pounds at a time sounds good. Looking at losing 80lbs is very overwhelming but I think your right, I'll start with the first ten. Wow, 12 lbs since last week that is great!! Keep up the good work!!

Thanks, Pretty. I think I will start thinking in small amounts. Ten pounds at a time sounds good. Looking at losing 80lbs is very overwhelming but I think your right, I'll start with the first ten. Wow, 12 lbs since last week that is great!! Keep up the good work!!

Hi Andi! I really think it helps mentally when you set smaller goals... it becomes kind of fun meeting each goal. :) Are you following any certain food plan (counting calories, carbs, WW, etc.??) One thing I want to do better at this week is to drink more water! I want to aim and drink half of body weight in ounces (that's a lot of H20!!! :p ) Stay in touch!! ~Ashley

Hi Andi! I really think it helps mentally when you set smaller goals... it becomes kind of fun meeting each goal. :) Are you following any certain food plan (counting calories, carbs, WW, etc.??) One thing I want to do better at this week is to drink more water! I want to aim and drink half of body weight in ounces (that's a lot of H20!!! :p ) Stay in touch!! ~Ashley

Hi Pretty. I'm not following any certain food program. I have a script from the doc to go to the hospitals wellness center and they have set up a workout plan for me. Next Wednesday I meet with there nutritionist. Hopefully they will give me a good food plan. I'm actually trying to get my health back from a trauma I had two years ago. I had a tubal pregnancy that went to 15 weeks and then ruptured. I lost over 2 liters of blood and almost died. I was in the hospital for 10 days. I am just now starting to feel better. Because of the trauma on my body my thyroid is all out of whack and I now take meds for that. But I know with working out and eating right I will get my health back and my weight down, slow but sure. I need to drink more water too. Especially, with all the heat we are getting. It will be 100 here in NE Ohio today. Yuck! Talk to you soon.

Andi

Hi Pretty. I'm not following any certain food program. I have a script from the doc to go to the hospitals wellness center and they have set up a workout plan for me. Next Wednesday I meet with there nutritionist. Hopefully they will give me a good food plan. I'm actually trying to get my health back from a trauma I had two years ago. I had a tubal pregnancy that went to 15 weeks and then ruptured. I lost over 2 liters of blood and almost died. I was in the hospital for 10 days. I am just now starting to feel better. Because of the trauma on my body my thyroid is all out of whack and I now take meds for that. But I know with working out and eating right I will get my health back and my weight down, slow but sure. I need to drink more water too. Especially, with all the heat we are getting. It will be 100 here in NE Ohio today. Yuck! Talk to you soon.

Andi

Andi, I am SO sorry to hear about your traumatic experience... I'm so sorry that you went through that. Thank the Lord that you are alive! Good for you wanting to take charge of your health and bounce back. That's good that you have a plan to go to the wellness center- hopefully they will come up with a great plan for you! Yes, it's supposed to be like 103 here in VA... this heat has been unbearable, I am so ready for cooler weather. ~ Ashley

Andi, I am SO sorry to hear about your traumatic experience... I'm so sorry that you went through that. Thank the Lord that you are alive! Good for you wanting to take charge of your health and bounce back. That's good that you have a plan to go to the wellness center- hopefully they will come up with a great plan for you! Yes, it's supposed to be like 103 here in VA... this heat has been unbearable, I am so ready for cooler weather. ~ Ashley

Hi Pretty. Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to be alive too! How was your weekend? We took our kids to Cedar Point. We did alot of walking. Today I'm going back to the gym for my weight training and cardio. Hopefully you didn't melt away this weekend. It was so hot this weekend, I felt like a puddle. LOL

Andi:)

Hi everyone, I am jumping ion here to both give and receive support :) I went through a nasty divorce a few years ago, ending up losing over 50 pounds from my highest point. Unfortunately, I have now put back on about 20 (lsat time I was on the scale anyway), half of it this past year (during which I also met the most amazing man, and this will be his first cruise).

So, I have about 70 days left, which is 10 weeks, and I think 10 to 15 pounds lost will be great!

My trick is to focus in the 9's. Like, if you are in the 160's , goal is to get to 159...and so on. Change that 2nd digit!!!

I have been really good for about 3 weeks and not gotten on the scale, I guess it is time for a check!

Hi Pretty. Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to be alive too! How was your weekend? We took our kids to Cedar Point. We did alot of walking. Today I'm going back to the gym for my weight training and cardio. Hopefully you didn't melt away this weekend. It was so hot this weekend, I felt like a puddle. LOL

Andi:)

My weekend was good, but it sure was hot!! Thankfully, this week it is supposed to be in the 80's... and I am VERY much going to enjoy that! I've still been eating on plan and drinking my water! Just the other day I made "kale chips" in the oven.... oh.my.goodness! They were DELICIOUS and such a satisfying "chip" replacement. Have you tried them before? If not, google them and try them!!! How are you?!

Welcome, deedle! I'm glad you jumped in. :) In my opinion, the more accountability, the better! I understand losing weight and then gaining some back when life gets hard... don't we wish it was just as easy to lose the weight, as it is to put it on? I'm glad you've met a wonderful man and wish you much happiness!

Archived