Question for Someone Familiar w/ New Orleans

cricket_7

I live in Gretna, yes, you can stay there. I would not leave stuff in your car over night anywhere in the New Orleans area. If you empty out your car, you should be fine. You will be about 10 mins. from the ship. Toll to cross the bridge is $1.00, but only from Gretna to New Orleans. Need suggestions for dinner? What type of food do you like? Can give you several suggestions on this side of the river.

Thanks so much for the information! There will be 10 of us on this trip, so I'm sure food tastes are going to vary (4 adults, 3 teens, and 3 kids). We are sure open to suggestions on places to eat. My bunch likes Mexican. You also might suggest something with traditional NOLA food that also has kid friendly choices. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the information! There will be 10 of us on this trip, so I'm sure food tastes are going to vary (4 adults, 3 teens, and 3 kids). We are sure open to suggestions on places to eat. My bunch likes Mexican. You also might suggest something with traditional NOLA food that also has kid friendly choices. Thanks again!

I am not from New Orleans but just wanted to say that we stayed a couple nights there pre-cruise last summer and absolutely LOVED it!! We had two teens and they had as much fun there as on the cruise. (and that is with a downpour a lot of the time). We spent most of our time just experiencing Bourbon St - so much to see, fun just to people watch.

Have fun!

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it was a nice/safe part of town!

I stayed at the Quality Inn in Greta which is on the access road. I thought the neighborhood was questionable .. but thats me.

I went into a gas station a few blocks away and thought some of the guys hanging out looked like they were druggies.

Didnt seem all that safe, but if you are just driving around to eat, not walking you should be ok... but claiming its a great neighborhood .. not to me. Not where I sayed. Id say questionable, thats why they are saying dont leave things overnight in your car.. Im not sure how you came back with this .. you just wanted to make sure it was a safe neighborhood, not compared to where I live at home for instance.

PS the hotel yes is convenient, and its very easy to get to .. as stated above .. I would not jump to the "safe" part like you did from the responses. I felt safe, but did think the neighborhood was somewhat questionable.

There are some poor neighborhoods in that area, but as far as crime, there really isn't any. I guess that is because the police department is right there, too many cops around. I have family stay there, and we have never had a problem. No where in this area would I recommend leaving anything in the car. All over the area we have problems with car break in.

There is a great place to eat Tony Mandena's just a block or so from the hotel.

There is a great Mexican place on Lafayette Street. This is just a few exits down from where you are staying. The name is El Mesquite. The parking lot will be packed, but it is larger on the inside than it looks. The wait is never more than like 15 minutes, if at all. The food and drinks are great! We go there a lot. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Careful if you move your reservations to the other side of the river. Post Katrina, there are several neighborhoods that are not safe at night at all!

I stayed at the Quality Inn as well, while its not Beverly Hills, I didn't have a problem with it. I was gone for 5 days, came back and no one messed with my car I plan on staying there again in December and next April They have the best price for leaving your car.

Our group of 7 is booked there (Holiday Inn Tower in Gretna) for the night before our cruise next month, we booked the stay and cruise package so we are planning on taking a taxi to the port and leaving our cars there for the cruise. Should we be worried about the cars? We won't be leaving anything valuable in them.

Also, does anyone have any estimates of cab fare between there and the port? If we want to get to the port area around 10 on embarkation day (want to hit cafe du monde at riverside first) what time should we ask the cab to be at the hotel?

Thanks so much for all the insider tips!

If you leave the hotel for 9:45, you will be at the port by 9:55. Did you know there is a Cafe' in the Riverwalk right next to the port? You do not have to walk all the way to the quarter. Go inside the Riverwalk right by the ship, and it is in the middle about half way down. If you are going to the quarter for dinner, a great place right down from Jackson Square is the Gumbo Shop. Good food, not dressy, and great prices! Enjoy your stay! Oh, and your car will be fine as long as you do not leave stuff inside the car.

Archived