Civitavecchia to Rome

Aloonie

Perhaps we've been unlucky then if it only takes 1 hour.

What we've found is that soon after leaving the port the tour guide will ask who needs to stop for the toilet. Then on arrival at the outskirts of Rome the coach has to fight its way through the traffic.

Then possibly the same on return.

1 hour? good luck.

We always get the train - its so easy and only 9.5 euros for a ticket that includes the metro. If you want the Vatican there is a station there - we got the first train possible and were at the vatican as it opened.

According to the Trenitalia website the journey time from Civitavecchia to Rome is 43 mins non stop on the highspeed Frecciabianca train or 59 mins with one stop on an intercity train. I would be amazed if you could get anywhere near these times on a coach.

Check out Cruisecritics review of Rome under the heading of "where your docked" this gives the journey time by road of between one and a half to two hours depending on traffic.

Hope this helps anyone making a decision about taking a bus or train. It is quick on the train but it is not comfortable:

We took the train last month, it is very quick, it was packed, we didn't get a seat and it was very hot, in the carriage there was no room for anymore people to stand. It was a Saturday, not sure how it is when there are commuters on it.

It is quick on the train but it is not comfortable:

We took the train last month, it is very quick, it was packed, we didn't get a seat and it was very hot, in the carriage there was no room for anymore people to stand. It was a Saturday, not sure how it is when there are commuters on it.

We've travelled several times on this line and never had any trouble getting a seat and found it of a reasonable standard. We usually chat to some of the locals.

If you get off at St Peter's, it's shorter than the 59 minutes to Rome quoted and a really quick and effective way of getting to the Vatican etc.. It's also easy to get to the station from the port but ask if you need any more help.

We've been to Rome by both coach and train and they both have their plus and minus points.

As JM-1972 says the train can get busy and hot but is much cheaper and quicker. As always though when making your own travel arrangements you don't have the reassurance of the ship waiting for you if you are delayed as it would if you were on tour organised by the cruiseline.

Using the coach, as I say, gives you the peace of mind that if you are delayed the ship will be there when you get back (if it is a ships tour coach your planning to use) but it will take longer and be MUCH more expensive.

Another vote for the train from me. We have done it twice and got off at St Peters and walked across the city getting the return train back from the central mainline station. I agree though that this isnt very practical for wheelchairs or pushchairs. There are disabled lifts at most stations but they were all out of order.

Weve ensured we were first off the ship and therefore the train has never been busy. When there are four of you the savings against the ships coach are sizeable.

it depends which day of the week you're going weekend the traffic is obviously a lot lighter and we did it in about 45-50 minutes i can imagine it taking an 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours during week days personally i would use the ships tour as if something goes wrong and you are late the ship has to wait for you as the italians love a good strike or shutting down train lines at the drop of a hat.....

When there are four of you the savings against the ships coach are sizeable.

I agree - we travel as 4 adults and the savings are huge for 4 - we reason that even we had to get a taxi back from Rome it would still be cheaper than getting a tour for 4.

Archived