1 day in Orlando with a 6 yr old

bandjwayne

We're arriving in Orlando the day prior to our cruise (leaving in Port Canaveral) in Jan. We've never been to Orlando before and was wondering what you would suggest for entertainment for us & our 6 yr old boy? Can you do any Disney / Epcot things in only one day? My son LOVES rides so something like that would be good. We'll probably get enough water/beach time on the cruise so I'd like to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to make the most out of the trip, yet at the same time I don't want to overwhelm him.

Thanks!

We're arriving in Orlando the day prior to our cruise (leaving in Port Canaveral) in Jan. We've never been to Orlando before and was wondering what you would suggest for entertainment for us & our 6 yr old boy? Can you do any Disney / Epcot things in only one day? My son LOVES rides so something like that would be good. We'll probably get enough water/beach time on the cruise so I'd like to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to make the most out of the trip, yet at the same time I don't want to overwhelm him.

Thanks!

My son is almost 6 and loves Disney we have the season passes. If your going in the summer I'd probably pass though in the heat theme parks here can be miserable. Anyother time of year I'd strongly recommend taking him to the Magic Kingdom. Epcot there isn't as much for that age group. You can definately see everything at the park depending on what time of year you go.

If your coming in the summer I'd do one of the water parks. There I Wet & Wild, Disney has two water parks and there is Aquatica by sea world.

Are you flying in the day prior to the cruise and staying in Orlando? If so, what time do you arrive in Orlando? If you are arriving say mid day or afternoon, and then you still needto rent a car, go to a hotel, etc. you don't have time to do A Disney park. In my opinion, with crowds, etc you really need a full day to do it justice. Will you have a rental car?

If you can give me more facts, I could better give you an opinion. What we do if we just have a little time is go over to the Disney Marketplace and walk around and have a meal. The atmosphere is very Disney and lots of fun. Just a thought.

[quote=sunsetbeachgal;34201758

What we do if we just have a little time is go over to the Disney Marketplace and walk around and have a meal. The atmosphere is very Disney and lots of fun. Just a thought.

My suggestion exactly. Unless you have a complete day there, I would not waste any time or $$ to try and do a park. Just go to Downtown Disney and hang out and you can have a lot of fun there too!:)

Saturday nights at downtown Disney, they usually do a dance party for the kids. It's alot of fun. Depending on what part of January you are coming down, Christmas decorations may still be up and activities still ongoing.

I love Disney, but if you can only do one thing and have most of the day, I would take him to the new legoland park. It's about an hours drive from the airport but he is at the perfect age for this park and it is not too overwhelming. Disney is good for all ages but legoland is geared for younger children. We took a group of 6,7 & 8 year olds and they had a blast!

If you don't have a whole day, you could also go to a place called Funspot. It has rides and go carts etc. There are two locations, one in Orlando and one in Kissimme.

Have a great time doing whatever you decide!

LegoLand just opened in Orlando. This may be a fun day for a 6 year old. The park and rides looks really cute and the villages and areas made of Leggos would be fun even for the adults.

http://florida.legoland.com/en/Park-Map/Park-Map/

Another ides may be to book one night at the new Disney Art of Animation Resort. It is a totally themed resort that offers lots to do, nice pool area and themed rooms. You can get a standard hotel room in

the Little Mermaid area or a Family Suite in the other areas. Their rates are pretty decent too. You could spend the day by the pools or in one of the playground areas and then in the evening they show movies.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/art-of-animation-resort/?CMP=BAC-CRT|6426347|1012088|79608255|48341251

:):)

Thanks!

Just noticed you said Jan. Jan the parks are slow and if you have the day the Magic Kingdom would be a great choice. Your son can go on pretty much everything there. Lego land is a good choice also but they have short hours they are only open from like 9-6 maybe even shorter in Jan.

If you want to go to Disney, fly in two days prior to your cruise as there is no way you will be able to experience one full park for the first time in less than a day and for it to be worth the money you are spending to go to that park.

If you are staying in Orlando, Downtown Disney or Universal Citywalk may be worth checking out as they are large outdoor entertainment venues. Downtown Disney has a Lego store, a movie theater, getting a bowling alley, many shops and places to eat. Citywalk also has a movie theater, a new and really cool mini golf course, some shops and plenty of places to eat. These places are very close to the theme parks and on resort property, which if you come back at a later time you would know what to expect.

If you are staying in Cocoa Beach, it may be worth driving down to the Brevard zoo for a few hours to check out the animals and they have this cool platform where you can feed the giraffes.

Archived